Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#355283 - 11/25/12 08:51 AM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Rico,
Many thanks for your well wishes.
It was great to see and talk with you on Skype Video the other day. I hope Rob's hand injury recovers soon too.

Chef Jorgen, hope Aase's finger is recovering as well. Please send her my best wishes.

Russ, hope you're recovering ok from your left index finger surgery too esp realizing how critical the index finger is for intricate guitar fingering\.

Nigel, Graham, and Larry,
Loved your digital bandage cast sigs. Thanks. cool
It's now 6 days after the operation and my doc says he's impressed with how fast I'm healing. Was able to remove the bandage cast yesterday. No more clicking, no pain, and I've got
pretty much full use of my hand, thumb & fingers again now.
All that remains is 4 stitches which will be removed this coming Friday and it looks like there'll be no (at lesast not noticeable) scaring either.
Realizing I'm a keyboard musician and how critical my hands are to my work, he took extra care during the operation to prevent nerve damage or noticeable scaring, and it already appears like he's succeeded, as even with the stitches still in, I can pretty much bend my thumb it's entire
range with very little/no discomfort. I think once the stitches are removed, I'll be as good as new again, and back to playing my full schedule within 2 weeks if not sooner.
On my doctor's approval, I played for an hour today with no clicking, pain or discomfort. Haven't felt this good playing the keyboard in nearly 6 months. keys
I hope me posting about my surgery will be of value to others here who might (yet hopefully not) experience the debilitation and pain of trigger finger.

#355287 - 11/25/12 10:14 AM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Scottyee]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ... good to hear you are well on your way to full recovery ...

#355292 - 11/25/12 12:40 PM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hey scott my friend,
Nice to hear @ll go's wel
But WTF you recorded me on Skype lollllllllllll
i need to chop of your thumb whoehahahhaa
Now you have a souvenir of me live
Maby a good idea for some people here on SZ just select your line in instead of your mic and you give someone a live performance verry fun to do
as i noticed because i didnt know scott recorded it and the result was verry funny hahahha
I am glad that i could give him a smile on his face
Speak to you soon buddy smile

wave

Rico

#355301 - 11/25/12 04:37 PM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That's awesome news Scott. I'm so pleased that it will make playing more comfortable for you again. I can imagine how difficult it has been for you not being able to play without pain.

#355307 - 11/25/12 10:58 PM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Has the doctor spoken to you about perhaps sticking to plastic keyboards for a while until you feel completely healed? Perhaps it might help to stay off the Steinway for a month or two, and stick to the lighter keybeds while it rehabilitates?

Just a suggestion...

#355322 - 11/26/12 11:15 AM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Diki]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Has the doctor spoken to you about perhaps sticking to plastic keyboards for a while until you feel completely healed? Perhaps it might help to stay off the Steinway for a month or two, and stick to the lighter keybeds while it rehabilitates? Just a suggestion...

Yep, I spoke with my orthopedic surgeon today and he said it's fine to start playing the keyboard again as long as there's no pain or discomfort, as playing (within reason of course) even the weighted Steinway keys will help to build my hand strength and flexibility up again. Interestingly enough, even with the stitches still in, I'm able to smoothly and painlessly bend (no clicking) my left thumb throughout its entire range of motion. My doc assured me this surgery was really the only real 'permanent' solution to trigger finger and that it shouldn't ever come back again, at least in that finger. Cortisone shots and/or anti-inflamatory meds/supplements typically only provide temporary relief, and that most people eventually require surgery to rid the problem once and for all. It's because I rely on my fingers so much for gig work (not only to play the keyboard, but to lift and transport my music gear too) that my doc recommended surgery. I'm really glad I did now. cool

Diki, did taking turmeric pills completely cure your trigger finger (thumb) condition? No clicking at all? If so, that's great, because it didn't work for me even though I took it (as you prescribed) for 3 months. Are you still taking turmeric now?

here's a shot of my hand + stitches (1 week following surgery) with bandage off now:

Attachments
Bandage Cast Off 800 x 600.jpg

#355327 - 11/26/12 01:07 PM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not a trace of clicking or sticking, and I came off the turmeric maybe a couple of months after it all cleared up. I guess I'm one of the fortunate few (so far!).

I must confess to not having played much 88 fully weighted stuff during my career. Sure, all piano at the start until 21 or so, but then primarily organ and synths etc. ever since. Enough piano to keep my touch reasonable strong, but overall, I'd say less than 10% of my work and practice regimen. Perhaps this has helped, I really can't say. But most of my professional friends around my age (mid-50's) that have been heavy piano players all their lives have one story or another about how their hands hurt them...

Possibly a connection, possibly not, but it makes you think...

#355333 - 11/26/12 05:01 PM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I can't hear any clicking at all!
smile

#355543 - 11/29/12 02:30 PM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
TheWolf Offline

Loc: Finland

Scott was never anywhere, or well at least he kept me posted about this little thumb problem... I been too busy myself to check this place out lately but hey, it looks like he's is back in the saddle.... so all the best wishes from Finland:

I understand the stitches are coming out TOMORRA, so I better see some video or new songs before the weekend laugh

Good to have ya back.

-TheWolf

#355556 - 11/29/12 05:59 PM Re: Where is Scott Yee? [Re: TheWolf]
Scottyee Offline

Yep, got to admit its been rough having to sit on the side lines the past few months,
so looking forward to getting the stitches out tomorra, (albeit bear the ouch of that), so I can finally focus on playing the keyboards again, though the doc wants me to refrain from transporting the music equipment for 2-3 weeks.
No promises, but I'll try to put something up on YouTube or SoundCloud before Christmas. Happy holidays to everyone. headphone

Wolf , it sure is friggin cold (15-25 F) in Finland now and with such short days where you are: sunrise @ 8:53am and sunset @3:24pm. Good reason to stay warm and toasty indoors, and make music. Perhaps this explains why arranger keyboards are especially popular in your neck of the woods. smile
Hope you recover from your bout with a bad cold SOON.

Scott cool

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online