SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#350721 - 09/09/12 02:27 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Your audio example is majors, minors and extensions. I don't hear a single sus4, aug or diminished in it.

Somebody wants to prove me wrong, play a style, mute everything but the guitars, and play some of the audio chords and some of the MIDI chords.

Look guys, think about it for a minute... if the MIDI chords were indistinguishable from the audio chords, why have the audio chords AT ALL..?

How about this progression?

C Csus, Cmaj7 Cdim
Dm7 G7sus4 G7 C Caug
Fmaj7 Dm7 Gsus4 G7 Gaug7
C Csus4 C...

That ought to answer it once and for all. That is a good mix of audio only chords, audio+MIDI notes, and all MIDI notes.

Look, I'm sorry, but telling me I can't hear stuff when I can? Please! And dragging out examples that don't address the issue as some kind of proof?

Look, it's a great arranger. It does some things that nothing else does. But it ain't PERFECT!

#350731 - 09/09/12 07:44 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I already spent a couple of days of my life on this two years ago, I took a whole lot of personal abuse (which was edited out by those involved) and I produced a pretty exhaustive list and supplied examples as requested back then.

All of your questions are answered in those threads regarding why some unplayable inversions use midi elements. I am blowed if i am going to sit and do it all again. If you cant be bothered to read those threads why would you read them here?

This might be up your street Diki

#350747 - 09/09/12 11:39 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
when is michael vonken demo coming out

#350757 - 09/09/12 02:59 PM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Diki Offline

You don't need to do it again. It didn't convince me then, and it doesn't now.

As I said, face it... If the MIDI chords COULDN'T be distinguished, why have audio chords at all?

Careful you don't sail over the edge!

#350790 - 09/10/12 12:48 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
Tonewheeldude Offline

i don't think I said you cant tell the difference when cutting all arranger parts except guitar, it is just very cleverly done.

just realized. there I am advising Henni not to get drawn in by trolling and I am the one getting sucked in. The annoying thing is, I know I am going to give in and record your stupid chord sequence just for the huge satisfaction of proving you wrong in the claim that the Ketron audio loops don't work well. I remember how good it felt last time around and your probably the last person here that still holds on to this old myth.

Regarding the 'shelly sounding drums', do you want me to make a separate recording in case your using decent speakers now?

I'll make a new topic over in the Ketron forum when I have made the recording. I think we have done enough damage to this thread.

#350793 - 09/10/12 01:27 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Henni Offline

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
...there I am advising Henni not to get drawn in by trolling and I am the one getting sucked in...

Hi Tonewheeldude,

I think we just found the ULTIMATE arranger, that's all. No wonder we defend it's reputation with such a zeal. See all you "unbelievers" over at the Ketron comparrison thread. We'll make Audya owners of you yet... wink

Anyway, back to topic which is Yamaha S950/S750.

Keep well all,

Henni

#350796 - 09/10/12 04:57 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
rolandfan Offline

The s950 can make a cup of coffee. The s750 can only
Boil water

#350797 - 09/10/12 05:39 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Nick G]
rolandfan Offline

I'm glad its black. Its a refreshing change

#350800 - 09/10/12 06:48 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: rolandfan]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Black Coffee and Black Water wink

Yes.. it had to be black after the black tyros, the black S650 and now this. It does look good !!

Auron Music

#350802 - 09/10/12 07:15 AM Re: Yamaha PSR S950 and S750 on Yamaha.Asia Website [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
i don't think I said you cant tell the difference when cutting all arranger parts except guitar, it is just very cleverly done.

Well, that's about the only negative about the sound I have posted. Especially with acoustic guitar parts, where you are quite LIKELY to want to feature it solo or in a minimal setting, there is a real NEED for consistency. Plus (and I haven't brought this up yet, but have mentioned it in the past) adding extra notes to a six string major or minor strum turns the voicing into a seven or eight string guitar to get a maj7 or a 6/9, etc..

Particularly in light of how good Korg and Yamaha's style Parts are, Korg using a dedicated Guitar Mode to ensure voicing and inversion are accurate and Yamaha using the SA2 guitar voices and new NTT's to get pretty accurate guitar voicings, the more you expose your Guitar Part/s, the more the audio system shows off its weaknesses.

Sure, bury almost anything in a track, and things can be lived with, but solo it and things get more critical.

You are getting WAY too defensive. There is MUCH to like about the Ketron. I have always said, if the included content and the weaknesses of the audio guitars don't bother you, it is a GREAT arranger (support notwithstanding). But no amount of distracting us with other features fixes those that are weak.

For many of us used to being able to quickly and easily edit styles, to change drum kits and beat placement easily to stretch the usefulness of a style, for those of us that find it fun and musically interesting to change a rock guitar part into an acoustic (or vice versa), and for those of us that want or NEED a huge variety of different musical styles, particularly in areas that Ketron don't cover, the Audya has its drawbacks.

In some ways, the Audya's strengths are also its weaknesses. Yes, the audio drumming and audio guitars (if they fit chordally with what song you pick) are out of this world! But you are forced to endure MUCH less quality, once you need musical genre's the ROM doesn't cover, or want to use converted styles from other manufacturers with a much broader base of styles to use.

Me, I'm looking for consistency. I don't want some of my songs to sound amazing, and others merely OK simply because Ketron don't make an audio style in that groove.

I know I sound like a stuck record, but I simply believe that audio styles aren't the answer. MUCH better MIDI sample sets ARE.. Then ALL your styles get the lift from the newer technology, not just the few that come with the arranger.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online