SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#349271 - 08/18/12 03:21 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dennis,
thanx for that. I've never come across Cantabile before. Had a very quick peek, looks interesting. Noticed they even have a free version.

I used to use Brainspawn Forte for my VSTi's when I was using OMB, (but it's rather pricey). Not even sure if they perform a similar type of function without checking Cantabile out a bit more thoroughly.

I'll download later & see how I go.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: miden
Rikki, the system I was planning on using was Cantabile as the VST instrument "rack" and then tx the midi data from vA to it...

The plan was to set up various kits in the drum VST saved to it's patch banks (most VSTi's do rx program changes to select different patch slots) the same for the Bass VST and Guitar VST's...then simply assign a rx channel on each of the "racks" to the corresponding tx channel of the style in vA...all using software midi routing....

So in effect, apart from one midi cable in the rest is handled by the PC/Laptop...

Dennis

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#349273 - 08/18/12 04:15 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: rikkisbears]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hi Rikki,

In every version of vArranger I am improving the mapping of Yamaha and Roland styles for the Ketron SD2, and also for other synths.

The best to do, is that if you think that a style could sound better, then send me that style, and I will improve the maping for that style, who will profit for all styles who are using this sounds/drum kits, and for all vArranger users.

This is my way of doing things. The users don't have to bother about tables and mapping, but just sends me the style who can be improved, and I send a vArranger update.

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#349274 - 08/18/12 04:18 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: rikkisbears]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Dan... I don't think you will see much demand from the WS community until you actually DO IT... Mostly, you are going to get interest from the arranger community, but most of us already HAVE decent arrangers.

But integrating WS's sounds and arp/loops with arranger ease of control and a musical flow (all WS loops need cuing up a bar in advance, unlike arranger fills which trigger immediately, but in sync with the music) could really peak their interest. But you are going to have to get it working first.

#349287 - 08/18/12 10:18 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: DAN.2000]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dan,
it's great that you offer to update & improve the styles . Average user probably doesn't want to get involved in too much editing.

I had been considering maybe using my softsynths again or even my PA3X. Being able to edit drums myself could have been useful.

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
Hi Rikki,

In every version of vArranger I am improving the mapping of Yamaha and Roland styles for the Ketron SD2, and also for other synths.

The best to do, is that if you think that a style could sound better, then send me that style, and I will improve the maping for that style, who will profit for all styles who are using this sounds/drum kits, and for all vArranger users.

This is my way of doing things. The users don't have to bother about tables and mapping, but just sends me the style who can be improved, and I send a vArranger update.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#349315 - 08/19/12 11:21 AM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: rikkisbears]
DAN.2000 Offline

I will think about it.

Dan

#349329 - 08/19/12 03:29 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: DAN.2000]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dan,
only reason I brought it up is, some may decide to choose a soundsource you don't have access to.
Instruments like guitars, piano's , bass etc , a substitute can be found, volumes can be altered, to make the style sound good, wheras if the drumkit used isn't mapped correctly for the style, it's not going to sound right.
Strangely enough when I converted the Ketron SlowOrch style across to PA3X , I noticed the drum mapping on the SD2 Brush Kit isn't 100% identical to the GM Brush Kit I have in my Korg.
Yet I think they're both supposedly GM.

I will think about it.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#349331 - 08/19/12 03:45 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: rikkisbears]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's not JUST the drum mapping that matters nowadays, as well.

You take most modern arrangers' drum SOUNDS, and a kick or snare etc. can have up to four or more different samples as you play louder. They can be quite different, for instance, many Roland snares add a rimshot hit to the last 3-4 velocities, or a pronounced 'click' is added at the highest kick drum velocities. This is what real drums do!

But there is no standard for at what velocity these samples change at. So a Yamaha multi-vel kit Part, played on a Roland multi-vel kit can sound QUITE different, as the accents either don't happen, or happen to much if they straddle the vel-switch at the wrong level.

GM/GS/XG made things SO simple back in the day, but as realism ramped up, unfortunately, the manufacturers didn't get together like they did for GM/GS (mind you, most of that was Roland doing it and everybody else just jumping on the bandwagon) and standardize these vel-switch points.

Sure, our modern arrangers sound quite amazingly realistic. But at the cost of loss of standardization, sadly.

#349333 - 08/19/12 04:06 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: Diki]
DAN.2000 Offline

Hi Rikki,

Before converting a style, try playing it directly with the PAX3X connected to vArranger.

Try the GM2 mode.

Then change the sounds, according to the INS file of the PA3X.

When everything is perfect, export your midifile smile

Dan

#349335 - 08/19/12 04:31 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki

.....GM/GS/XG made things SO simple back in the day, but as realism ramped up, unfortunately, the manufacturers didn't get together like they did for GM/GS (mind you, most of that was Roland doing it and everybody else just jumping on the bandwagon) and standardize these vel-switch points.

If I remember correctly Diki....I seem to remember reading an article or a blog somewhere a few years back (probably wasn't a blog back then - but you know what I mean) where Roland DID try to get another manufacturers "summit" to sort out these very issues and to take MIDI way past even GM2...but none of the other makers were that interested..wish I could recall where I saw it..

But there is now a definite and pressing need for all the makers to address these issues...still producing with a hardware/software spec that is now nearly 30 years old is really not acceptable!!

Dennis

#349338 - 08/19/12 05:59 PM Re: VArranger Now Plays 3 Keyboard Formats [Re: DAN.2000]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dan,
sorry, I wasn't suggesting this type of function for my conversions. For converting I'd record the file in xg for yammie, gm for roland & ketron for sd2. I do whatever drum remapping/editing is required in my pc sequencer, then do my sound selections etc in the Korg itself.

I've been spending a bit of time on it in the last few days & I've been impressed with just how well VArranger actually works. I'd been considering buying a bk7m for my piano downstairs, but if I can get VArranger working the way I want, won't be necessary. To date I've only been using it for the midifile function, but that may change.

My laptop is a lot easier to drag up & down stairs as required, rather than one of my keyboards. haahaa

Hi Rikki,

Before converting a style, try playing it directly with the PAX3X connected to vArranger.

Try the GM2 mode.

Then change the sounds, according to the INS file of the PA3X.

When everything is perfect, export your midifile smile

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online