SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#348726 - 08/08/12 04:45 PM Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do....
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Compared to an Arranger..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMecmv863...mp;feature=plcp

Just so impressive....you really need to hear it live to appreciate the sonic fidelity. The recording doesn't do it justice.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#348736 - 08/08/12 09:43 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Tony Hughes Offline

Always knew it was one of the best, thanks Al

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#348737 - 08/08/12 10:12 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
If you have an hour and a half to kill... watch this Kronos Demo with Jordan Rudess. WOW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=n88ABqccErI
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#348739 - 08/08/12 11:59 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wow! Thanks Al...that is awesome. The Kronos is one terrific keyboard.

I'm tickled that Yamaha has embraced that very same technology for their Motif series, and, I hope someday it ends up on an arranger.

Ian

#348746 - 08/09/12 04:06 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: ianmcnll]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Ian, Yamaha actually did one better than Korg in this regard, they adopted Karma version 3.0 which from what I hear is more feature rich than the current Korg version 2. The only downside is you need to run Yamaha Karma on a computer midi'ed/tethered to a keyboard.

I wish both Yamaha and Korg would incorporate Karma into an arranger keyboard in ADDITION to using regular styles. That would be Killer and a true composing dream machine. Imagine coming up with a nice Karma scene and then saving it as a standard style and then using that style with embellished Karma effects and then saving that???? WOW!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#348752 - 08/09/12 07:59 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Great board but not for the technically challenged (which defines most people over 60). Unless you're the guy that taught Bo Tomlyn how to program the DX7, you may have quite a learning experience ahead of you before you are able to realize the full potential of this board. But (IMO) you also need to be into synth sounds and modern (as in big-city club scene) music in order to justify buying this type of board. With all due respect, judging from the technical questions I've seen asked on this board, I'd say that this is, at best, a studio only board for most of us (yes, definately me too). AND, only with great difficulty would it produce the kind of results desired by most 'arranger' players. I knew what my own experience was likely to be, based on my experience with my Fantom G7, but the purity and beauty of the tones out of this board are highly seductive. Besides, as they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted". However, I make all my decisions based on whether I should spend my money on something I really want OR leave it to the kids. So far, the kids are batting zero smile .

chas

#348756 - 08/09/12 08:35 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, I understand about the kids thing. Every time I look at buying a piece of equipment, my son gets a concerned look on his face and says, "wouldn't you rather have (whatever)"?

He knows he's getting whatever it is...eventually.

R.

#348758 - 08/09/12 09:36 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Ian, Yamaha actually did one better than Korg in this regard, they adopted Karma version 3.0 which from what I hear is more feature rich than the current Korg version 2. The only downside is you need to run Yamaha Karma on a computer midi'ed/tethered to a keyboard.

I wish both Yamaha and Korg would incorporate Karma into an arranger keyboard in ADDITION to using regular styles. That would be Killer and a true composing dream machine. Imagine coming up with a nice Karma scene and then saving it as a standard style and then using that style with embellished Karma effects and then saving that???? WOW!

Al, as Chas has stated above, it is a complex system, and, in my opinion, it needs to be streamlined considerably for use in an arranger keyboard...that is, without losing too much of it's terrific sonic power.

Most arranger users want features that aren't overly complex, and perhaps, by the time the next Tyros or PA-series arrangers are released, Karma can be made a bit less daunting for the average player.

Combining Karma with styles would certainly make the latter far more "interesting" and less predictable and/or repetitive.

Let's hope that Yamaha's/Korg's R&D departments pursue it's utilization in arrangers, and manage to make it more user friendly.

Ian

#348766 - 08/09/12 11:29 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
124 Offline

It'll be interesting to see what Korg's OS update for the Pa3X will bring in September(?). That said, reading the stuff on Korg Forums, there are other issues that still need to be addressed. I'm still very much wait-and-see on this.

#348768 - 08/09/12 12:54 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Dnj Offline

A pinball machine comes to mind....talk about repetition.....all I want to hear is a normal song on one of these kbs. Every demand I've heard is Yanniesqe?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online