SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#348920 - 08/11/12 01:28 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What brand of HD have you been using, Dennis..? If you have found something that is that reliable, I need to try it ASAP!

And as I said, this isn't my OPINION... Most everyone I know that has a computer has, at one time or another, crashed a HD. That's a fact, not opinion. Are you telling me you have never met anyone who had crashed a drive? I'm unique? Wow!

You seem to be the exception Dennis, not me. No offense. I am just unsure where any reference to 'opinion' comes into this... Hard drives crash. Fact. That you haven't yet does not change this. Opinion has nothing to do with it!

#348923 - 08/11/12 01:43 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
SSD & HDD have a limited lifespan (You will find its life expectancy buried in its specifications) however as HDD are mechanical, wear and tear are more pronounced, thus as a rule of thumb, look at the warrantee period given for a HDD by the manufacture, and change it before this time is up. (Even if you’re using a RAID Array this still has to be followed, particularly if all the disks were bought at the same time)

I suspect Diki’s crashes have been because he hasn’t changed them before the expected life span has expired.

Due to programs and files getting bigger, (Particularly Video) most never reach the life span of the disk as users have to upgrade to a larger one to fit all the files on.

Bill

#348930 - 08/11/12 05:55 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Tony Hughes Offline

I think Bill might be nearer the mark, disk don't pack in, like he says they get changed before they do, I have been building business use pcs since msdos 1.25 and frankly I have had fewer than 3 HDD failures in fact the last 4 HDDs I have off old PCs I built are in caddies and still going strong, it's time to start thinking of buying some new gear Diki then you can leave it to someone when you pop your cloggs (old english for die), there is nothing worse than young people clearing a house out after someone has passed on only to find it full of crap they can't use, I have never cleared one out and found a near new Wersi Wing in a cupbaord. rotf2 If only...

#349048 - 08/13/12 12:12 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bill, I have a pretty decent backup regimen, so I rarely LOSE anything, but you may be right. I don't tend to get rid of a drive until it DOES conk out on me!

And Tony... unless those businesses are using their HD's as heavy use servers, the amount of work a business HD goes through is a tiny fraction of running big multi-track projects every day. I worked in modern ProTools equipped studios quite a lot before the slowdown, and backing up every day was an essential procedure. Try streaming a 48 track project while you record another 24, at 24/96, and compare that to accessing a few spreadsheets! Nothing other than video puts a greater demand and wear on an HD.

My current external HD's are only one and two years old... but I have backups!

#349060 - 08/13/12 03:38 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki

I wish more people had solid back regimes, I have been working with computers for over 30 years and users still cannot understand why they need to back up until one day the system crashes.

Depending on the size of the company will determine how the server is used, but even small business can easily stretch HDD to way beyond anything they would get in a music production studio. (HDD usage in a studio is in actual fact pretty basic)

Bill

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online