SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#348769 - 08/09/12 01:14 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
It is interesting to note that Stephen (Kay) has approached Korg Italy on several occasions in the past to port Karma to the PA series.
He personally thinks it would be a brilliant combination given the control surface he could work with, and the excellent sound engine available.

Apart from "lip-service" they (Korg Italy - not to be confused with Korg USA, they are two different entities) have given it no serious consideration at all.

Further, apparently Yamaha have NO intention of taking it away from the Motif line. It is to be an exclusive add-on for that series only. In other words they are not releasing any of the coding data required to port to the arranger lines

Be aware that Yamaha do NOT own Karma 3, this is still totally owned, operated and controlled by Karma Labs.

#348773 - 08/09/12 03:00 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Dnj Offline

Synths and Arranger KB's are separated on purpose for a reason..it just makes good business sense for the manufacturers...and much more money in sales.

#348774 - 08/09/12 03:17 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: kbrkr

I wish both Yamaha and Korg would incorporate Karma into an arranger keyboard in ADDITION to using regular styles. That would be Killer and a true composing dream machine. Imagine coming up with a nice Karma scene and then saving it as a standard style and then using that style with embellished Karma effects and then saving that???? WOW!

Well Al, it appears, according to recent posts, that Karma isn't headed for use in arranger keyboards anytime soon, if at all.

At least you already own the Kronos, which you can midi to your Tyros4, and add Karma to the styles in that manner...have you tried it?

I do hope that both Yamaha and Korg take a serious look at adding Karma to their arranger line...I think it's slicker than frog hair!

Ian

#348778 - 08/09/12 04:48 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I played a Kronos today for the first time. Spent about an hour or so on it, running through patches and combis.

Sweet!

But as different from an arranger as chalk from cheese. An utterly different performance paradigm, and in all honesty, an utterly unfriendly live layout.

Stop Start buttons (there are 3 separate ones) are tiny, and nestled in with other tiny buttons, the main Karma Start/Stop is WAY away from the keyboard, hidden in with some other Karma controls. The Scene Change buttons (about the closest thing to what we might call Variations) are again, well away from your hands, over the top of the sliders and mute buttons. All in all, a potential minefield of musical mishap!

Now I know, you can put much of these onto footpedals, but there is no multi-pedal input, so to do much with your feet, you probably need to buy a dedicated MIDI multi-pedal, and spend a lot of time head-scratching. So, for me, a 5/10 for live ease of use.

The touchscreen is big, but densely packed with information, making hitting things with your fingers in the heat of performance quite tricky. There IS a nice 'Set List' feature, which puts 16 Combis or Sounds on the screen at one time, MUCH easier to hit correctly, but past this, you have your work cut out. It's a bigger screen than my G70, but info is packed MUCH tighter (the main font is hard for me to read even with my reading glasses on!).

Sonically, outstanding, and the factory Combis are inspiring and quite fresh, organ, piano and rhodes/wurli are as good as I have heard them (although I'll still put my G70's main piano up against it any day!), in the limited time I've had with it so far, no real dogs stand out.

All in all, something well worth a trip to your nearest Korg store (I'm in a very small market, so most of you shouldn't have trouble finding one nearby).

BUT... an arranger it is NOT!

#348780 - 08/09/12 05:18 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I played a Kronos today for the first time. Spent about an hour or so on it, running through patches and combis.

Sweet!

But as different from an arranger as chalk from cheese. An utterly different performance paradigm, and in all honesty, an utterly unfriendly live layout.

Stop Start buttons (there are 3 separate ones) are tiny, and nestled in with other tiny buttons, the main Karma Start/Stop is WAY away from the keyboard, hidden in with some other Karma controls. The Scene Change buttons (about the closest thing to what we might call Variations) are again, well away from your hands, over the top of the sliders and mute buttons. All in all, a potential minefield of musical mishap!

Now I know, you can put much of these onto footpedals, but there is no multi-pedal input, so to do much with your feet, you probably need to buy a dedicated MIDI multi-pedal, and spend a lot of time head-scratching. So, for me, a 5/10 for live ease of use.

The touchscreen is big, but densely packed with information, making hitting things with your fingers in the heat of performance quite tricky. There IS a nice 'Set List' feature, which puts 16 Combis or Sounds on the screen at one time, MUCH easier to hit correctly, but past this, you have your work cut out. It's a bigger screen than my G70, but info is packed MUCH tighter (the main font is hard for me to read even with my reading glasses on!).

Sonically, outstanding, and the factory Combis are inspiring and quite fresh, organ, piano and rhodes/wurli are as good as I have heard them (although I'll still put my G70's main piano up against it any day!), in the limited time I've had with it so far, no real dogs stand out.

All in all, something well worth a trip to your nearest Korg store (I'm in a very small market, so most of you shouldn't have trouble finding one nearby).

BUT... an arranger it is NOT!

Diki, for all those reasons and a couple more, I dissed mine not long after getting it...had it for about 4 weeks.

#348793 - 08/09/12 11:22 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: Diki]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Diki

Sweet!

Thanks for this report Diki. I have been thinking hard about a Kronos. But now hearing your opinion (which I value highly) it may not be the keyboard for me. I don't care about its ability as an arranger but I really do care about it as a keyboard in a live stage situation. I am currently using a Motif which gives me 16 physical buttons per bank making switching patches on stage very easy. I do not want to have to wear my reading glasses on stage. That is an absolute show stopper for me.

#348794 - 08/09/12 11:33 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
miden Offline

Actually Nigel as a live keyboard and NOT for arranger play it is quite good...The performance memories (of which you can have several hundred) store every aspect of a setup (including all resources - be it an mp3, Karma setup, midi file, sample sounds, effects routing etc etc) to a one touch panel....and these can be named anything you want...and recalled in an instant...

Plus it has no sound cutoff when you jump from one sound to another, a BIG bugbear on the Motif line

I think you may be selling yourself short in not checking it out for yourself.

I only dissed mine when I found out that Karma 3 was NOT going to be ported to Kronos, and the way the Karma operating controls were setup made it rather awkward for trying to play it like an arranger..

I would strongly suggest you get your hands on one to see...

#348795 - 08/09/12 11:37 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: miden]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Thanks Dennis, but is selecting patches on the fly in a live situation easy? I would prefer not to have to acurately touch the right selection on a touch screen mid song without reading glasses. With my Motif hitting the right physical button is easy even in poorly lit environments.

But the sound options on the Kronos do have me interested.

#348797 - 08/09/12 11:54 PM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: kbrkr]
miden Offline

Yeah, I think so Nigel..once you get used to the hierarchy...They can be tricky to select via the touch screen using the actual patch lists though as they are in a sort of "details list" type view, but there are so MANY performance slots available you could almost simply save all your favourite patches to perf slots which are instantly loaded. 128 at a time. Comes in handy if you have a complex effects chain in action.

Patches can be selected using the hardware buttons on the right, but I found using the touch screen with my edits of the factory sounds far easier. And live it is a doddle really, using the screen.

They are pretty big touch pads on the screen..I think I am like you in that I have "old age readers eyes" LOL!!!And I had no trouble using them without glasses tbh.

I need glasses to read up close...I could see the touch pads easily and as it is a backlit screen...very easy to see on a dark stage..and it is simply a matter of pushing the arrow button at the bottom to jump pages...I think it had 16 slots per page from memory but it may have been 24...

Here is an interesting clip of the setlist (a VERY powerful tool) operating...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thK0jOOSfeo&feature=youtu.be

Dennis

#348799 - 08/10/12 12:32 AM Re: Listen to what the Kronos and Karma can do.... [Re: miden]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Thanks very much Dennis for that youtube clip. I think I could work with that setup live on stage. I don't actually have to read each of the 16 presets as I already remember them by position as I already have to do on the Motif.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online