SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#347668 - 07/23/12 10:39 PM How does one buy headphones?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I don't mean "can you recommend a good pair?" I mean......how do you judge the sound quality between different brands......models even?

I just got the newly released Pioneer HDJ-1500's I ordered and I'm not real happy with the sound considering I paid $185 for them.

All other things being equal, how do you tell good sound transmission from bad? Most of the music stores don't have working setups where you can go right from one to another. And, there are so many brands and models, they're not going to have them all anyway.

Tonight I tried these Sony headphones in Staples, and although the construction was not that firm, I thought they sounded better than the Pioneers I just bought so I DID hear a difference there.

I think I'm going to return the Pioneer's. Any suggestions on how to go "headphone shopping" now?

Mark

#347670 - 07/24/12 01:51 AM Re: How does one buy headphones? [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
When buying any audio equipment use your ears, when it’s the correct combination it will register and make you sit up.

In addition to sound, make sure they sit comfortably on the head, as if they don’t you will soon come to despise them.

NOTE: Compatibility also plays a part, thus 2 items with the same characteristics do not always work well together, so if possible always try them with your own equipment.

Remember everybody’s ears and set-ups are different so, any recommendations from others should only be used as a guide.

Hope this helps

Bill

#347931 - 07/28/12 03:16 AM Re: How does one buy headphones? [Re: Mark79100]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Re Headphone purchase. Price is not necessarily a guide to how good a headphone performs.
I bought a wireless headphone set from Lidl UK complete with recharging base £19 which outperform my expensive Sennheizer HD270.
Listen for a clean sound with a tight low bass, some headphones produce bass sound like boom boxes.

Edited by Graham UK (07/28/12 03:23 AM)

#347932 - 07/28/12 03:55 AM Re: How does one buy headphones? [Re: Mark79100]
Tony Hughes Offline

Mark,

If one has a very big head then one needs a very big set of headphones... duel I take a size (1) rotf2

#347933 - 07/28/12 04:15 AM Re: How does one buy headphones? [Re: abacus]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
When buying any audio equipment use your ears,

Bill

Now there's a good idea Bill... I would have never thought of that!!! headphone

#347965 - 07/28/12 11:26 PM Re: How does one buy headphones? [Re: abacus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill, thanks for the advice. I can see how individualistic buying headphones can be.

I returned the Pioneer HD1500's ($180) as they colored the sound too much. I then spent hours at GC and Sam Ash trying out headphones.

Your advice "use your ears" might sound simplistic, but that's what it's all about in the end. I sat and listened very carefully and compared each set. The Sennheiser, the Shure's, Denon's, etc. I listened to the ones the salesmen recommended, people here recommended, friends recommended. At this point, I can now hear the subtle nuances each pair of phones has. None are either bad or good, it's how I hear them is the dealbreaker.

And, yes, like everything, when you have the right phones in your hand...you just "know!"

BTW...I see what you mean about "make sure they sit comfortably on the head." I liked the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but after trying on the Sennheisers, with a smaller, lighter "cup" I can see how the larger cup would bother me after time.

Mark

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online