SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#347262 - 07/19/12 01:35 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I am hardly a purist, but I just can't see a person who sings over pre-recorded tracks (Karaoke style), and who plays his instrument (guitar, keyboard, whatever) very little, or not at all, as being anything close to a "power single".

To most people, the words "Power Single" conjures up a vision of an exceptionally accomplished solo musician, not just a singer/entertainer who uses tracks.

Using a few tracks to enhance a performance, is understandable...using nothing but tracks, just smacks of Karaoke, in my opinion.

Of course, as we will see, the meaning of the term "Power Single" can be interpreted many ways, and can even be twisted enough to suit any one's present (or past) situation, but, in my opinion, McRorie comes far closer to it than anyone else I've seen or heard on SZ. You may not like the genre he plays, but there's no denying the cracking musical talent and coordination needed to pull off such an impressive solo act.

Ian

#347265 - 07/19/12 02:54 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I use social media to contact musicians in my area. Myspace is still used widely by bands, although Facebook seems to be more the place for younger musicians and solo artists. Youtube is also very handy and might turn up some local talent.

In many cases you can get an idea of their abilities before making contact.

#347274 - 07/19/12 05:52 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Dave why explain yourself? ....who cares what the so called purists" think?...I certainly don't..

#347281 - 07/19/12 07:36 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yes....Uncle Dave is a "power single"....

When you can turn off the automatic arranger play...and still maintain a dance floor with lots of energy and a big sound...Left hand bass that is kicking, and drum patterns that keep it going...Keeping the music going with a strong full sound (In UD's case strong vocals)...Now you have a "POWER SINGLE"...

Edited by Fran Carango (07/19/12 07:41 AM)

#347283 - 07/19/12 08:11 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

No big deal there Fran, we do "ALL" that every gig anyway for years every, Lh bass, no bass, no arranger, DJ,karaoke, Mp3's who freakin cares? it's all good...just make music & make money and survive,......now to see a female "Power Single" in action that's a treat.. let's face it CHANGE is here people, the "old ways" are slowly disappearing like it or not, times change, people change, nobody cares,.....embrace it, drop the ego,jump on the bandwagon, or get left in the dust,.......

#347285 - 07/19/12 08:22 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
David B. was kind enough to share with the group why he feels he is a Power Single.

My name is Ian, and I am neither a Power Single, or a purist.

I am an arranger player.

Glad to be here and glad to be playing.

Certainly, in the topsy-turvy worlds of Karaoke, heavy metal rock, and progressive jazz, playing a superior quality, top of the line, arranger keyboard, like a Yamaha Tyros4 or Korg PA3X in style mode, and then, breaking into your own rendition of that great, but little known, Country Classic, I Kissed Her On The Lips, And I Left Her Behind For You has gotta be one of the most powerful and enriching experiences an arranger player can go through.

Or, there's always blueberry pie and ice cream. (Hear that Tony Hughes?)

Ian

#347287 - 07/19/12 08:41 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW ... I didn't mean to start a global debate - but this being S-Z I should have known wink - but not being familiar with the term as it is not one I've heard used here in RI and back in the day in NY it was all BANDS that were playing, I really wanted to know what the term referred to ... after reading the responses, IMHO a "Power Single" is anyone who commands the attention and participation of the audience, regardless of what 'tools' they may be using ...
If I don't want a person who plays a solo instrument to mock me for playing an arranger KB, then, as Uncle Dave said. I can't "throw stones at the guy who stands behind a computer" ...
If you are the only person on stage and you have the audience reacting as you want, you are a "Power Single" -
even if you are playing background music in a restaurant and you see the audience reacting to your performance, or as people are leaving they pass by and compliment you on the music !!!
JMHO

Edited by tony mads usa (07/19/12 08:42 AM)

#347289 - 07/19/12 08:48 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I figure as long as I don't have to get up every morning and go do some real work, that's powerful enough for me.
Regarding female singers, I've worked with several and they were mostly a pain in the butt. Had a couple who were really good, but there is always some sort of baggage.
Now, if I find one who will provide the p.a., haul it, set it up, play the music and just let me show up and sing, then give me half the money, and my part of the money is still as much as I make alone, then I'll reconsider.
DonM

#347290 - 07/19/12 08:52 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Power single is also known in the "business" as a guide reference for AGENTS to categorize your act within their mix vs the other acts they manage.....

#347292 - 07/19/12 09:37 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Oh the band days early 80's..... cool2

Attachments
dp sound exchange 1985.JPG

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online