SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#347206 - 07/17/12 09:42 PM about a female vocalist
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
How does one actually find a "female" vocalist to work with? I went to a park concert last week where the artist had 3 of them in his show. Fran has the only other 2 left on the planet it seems.

I've been trying for years to find one. Put ads in the paper, called singing teachers, asked around, etc.

But the qualifier is someone "good!"...a trained voice, and a decent personality and an eagerness to work at performing. A combination like that you would only find in Ripley's Believe It or Not, it seems.

I've just about given up on the idea by now, but I still wouldn't turn it away if it showed up on my doorstep.

Any thoughts, anyone? Or should I ask Fran if I could "rent" his?

Mark

#347209 - 07/17/12 11:21 PM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark79100

Fran has the only other 2 left on the planet it seems.

Any thoughts, anyone? Or should I ask Fran if I could "rent" his?

Mark

Hells Mark where you been all these years, Fran's dollys don't sing, like Fran don't play, rotf2they are only for show... ask the man in the moon... more chance of a straight answer... thats why Fran can't afford and Audya, Korg pa3x, high costs of Dollys, don't you go down that route, The Road to Perdition. rotf2 anyway if you do take on staff for your business make sure you have the contract in your hand, signed.. wave

#347222 - 07/18/12 06:13 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
They're a great addition and selling point but just always seem to have some sort of problems. The gigs too far, my boyfriend/fiance/ex/husband, I'm tired from work, my voice isn't right tonight, etc. etc.

I've done duos and trios with four different ones and it was always something. I did all the booking, brought and set up all the equipment including her mic, picked and learned the songs. Couldn't of made it easier for them. One I had could NEVER be on time . We worked a restaurant around the corner from her house and she was 1/2 hr. late the first night!! Did a Wedding and here she comes walking up the side of the room as I'm announcing the Bridal Party !! Her boyfriend was a full time musician with two wedding bands and a big band. She wouldn't work with him because he worked too much. I asked for his advice and he said "fine her for every minute she's late" HA!
Be careful and good luck.

#347226 - 07/18/12 07:50 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Go see duos etc with girl singers....ask them if they have any friends who are looking for work to sing usually they know other singers......as Bill said I'd recommend playing alone also if you can sing, less aggravation and more money for you.......no need for more headaches and I find that girl singers after a while all sound the same due to their pitch range VS a male voice....that's why many wedding bands have two singers to cover more songs..

#347228 - 07/18/12 08:48 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Same here! I have NEVER had a good working relationship with a female singer or band member.

Boyfriend problems...money problems...."no shows"...being unhappy with the sound system, material, number of songs she sang or stage....the list goes on and on.

Tried a duo with a female for several years,. Went through 8.

NEVER AGAIN!

Russ

#347229 - 07/18/12 09:31 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
As to finding a female singer: I found my last one by going to Karaoke venues and keeping and eye and ear out for one who would like to join me and who
would bring added value to what I was doing. We had at least 6 productive years as a duo with strong bookings....until the "recession".

As for working with female singers:
My last 4+ group was in the early 80's and each group had at least one female singer.. For the next 15 yrs I worked as a duo with a 3 different female singers.
I'm not saying there wasn't a problem here or there, but, for the most part it worked in both our favors. I was able to charge enough to cover their pay and
sometimes more.

We got clients who would otherwise not have wanted a single. The variety of lead voices was a plus and kept the show from getting too much of the same ol'
same ol'. And the background harmonies we provided each other were a real plus over digital harmonizers.

The only major downside to performing with others for me has been the scheduling of rehearsals...especially when the other person(s) live out of town. A big plus,
however, is having a singer to rely on when the other one is sick or otherwise can't sing.

That was then. Along came the "recession" and it seemed all the clients wanted to negotiate the fee down. I had no choice but to book myself as a single
if I couldn't get the duo's fee. Now, my last singer has retired and I have been performing 100% single for several years. I won't be seeking another partner.
It takes more effort and time trying to find the right one, get the act together and book it. But, I do miss having that re-enforcement and additional talent on stage.

Eddie

#347230 - 07/18/12 09:48 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Mark, do what I did, marry the canary.

Always on time, leaves the house same time as me.
Both paycheques come in the same door.
100% time to mull over/critique new material or the night's gig.
No sweat arranging practice time.
Wifey even makes the coffee.

Never been a problem for me (and if it were, would I admit it on here, anyway) laugh

#347234 - 07/18/12 11:09 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Okay guys....listen up....Listen to the guy that has hired and worked with the most talented , attractive , girls in the business.. smile

I will tell you the How, why , and when of the subject..

First off, don't listen to any of the above guys that rather work by themselves....they have not experienced what I have smile

There are talented "young " ladies that want to break into the business...all over the place..

You have to open your mouth and ask!!!..If there is someone that could be a good prospective partner on stage...Speak up...

I have found great "potential" singers that turned into "stars" smile

And the fun of auditioning prospects...is easily better than watch American Idol on TV grin

For the most part, I have found young ladies that wanted to work with "me"....via friends in the business...people like Uncle Dave (who chooses to work by himself)....

I have broke in Bar tenders, and waitresses, that worked in the clubs I played....

I worked with "girl singers" for nearly 30 years, and by far, my most enjoyable on stage memories are with these girls...

Look for earnest, girls, that are excited about working with you...I use to have so many "new girls" asking about "How to get started"..when I worked with the Michaels (Mychaels) girls...They were great together, and draw-ed so much attention, that other girls envied what they did....This was a time I gave the bartender "Denise" a chance to work with me..side by side with Andrea Mychaels and Debra Mychaels.....she went on to be successful with many other bands...

Don't be afraid to set some standards ..even if they seam superficial..."Looks" is as important on stage as the vocal ability.....don't dismiss this as chauvinistic...How many homely girls do you know that are successful as singers on stage.....?....neither do I..

Talent can be taught and improved...most of the time..it is just inexperience...."Looks" are hard to develop when it comes to stage presence..

Ask yourself "why" you want to work with a "girl"....Are you interested in improving your song material, adding female songs? Are you trying to improve your stage image?, Are you trying to improve your demand in the business"..Are you looking to have more "fun" on stage? Are you interested in developing an interaction on stage..that is infectious to the audience..

All of these are the benefits you can have with the "right" partner...

Over the years I have had the cutest, most talented young ladies (dozens)..they can be found, just open your eyes, and don't be afraid to reach for the moon....Ask the pretty girl sitting in your audience, if she "sings"...you may just find a gem...I have....over and over..

On the "don't" list.....stay away from those ..you just want to hook up with...Stay away from those that already have baggage...drink to much, drugs, evident active sex life...hanging with low lifes...you get what I mean...

If there is a husband or boyfriend...make sure there is not a jealousy issue...both the "girl" and your own spouse...Flirting and interaction on stage is a "must"...you are in the "show" business...and if you want to build your following...this will aid the results..largely..

Remember you are sharing the stage, whoever you work with ...be honest with them...don't play money games etc with them...Be up front with the money they will receive....You can and should continue to make the decisions on the business end...but don't forget to consult your stage partner...

One of the most important things in this business..."Don't burn your bridges"...and that goes for the people you share stages with.....Great re-pore with the people you have surround you...will be a lasting virtue...

#347236 - 07/18/12 11:18 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hells Fran,

You're a man of the World and a half, Mr Teflon, slippery as grease lightening or a jar of eels. No flies on Fran rotf2

I would write if book if you have time Fran, I will do the Title if you do the filly in bits in the middle. bow

Tony

Here is one for starter Fran "OUT OF THE FRYING PAN AND INTO THE FIRE"

#347237 - 07/18/12 11:28 AM Re: about a female vocalist [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

So Fran in other words.....STAY SOLO.. cool2

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online