SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#346053 - 06/25/12 01:01 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I merely stated that the sounds from the vintage synth pack are inferior to their original counterparts which they're suppose to mimic and then others went off on a tangent. You didn't see me say my Wersi has better synthesizer sounds than the Tyros 4 although it does. Unlike the Tyros, the Wersi uses FM, Wavetable, Analog Modeling, and Samples to produce its sounds. In addition I can layer any combination of the various types of synthesis to make massive sounds.

Me reproducing a Eurythmics song using my Wersi or any other arranger would be pointless unless I were to use samples from the Juno 6, SH09, OB-X, and Movement Drum Computer. At least I have the capability to do this rather than be stuck with some sub par vintage synth sounds the manufacturer wants me to believe sound authentic.

I'm lucky to own or have owned almost every great analog synth ever made. It saddens me to see companies promote a product saying its giving you an authentic sound of the original when it bares no resemblance to it.

to

#346054 - 06/25/12 01:19 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: ianmcnll]
Ensnareyou Offline

I wouldn't say the sound of a true vintage analog and its whimpy poorly sampled counterpart is very subjective. Put a Memorymoog in unison then play one note of a Moog like sound on your Tyros 4. Heck, go ahead and stack the Tyros 4 sound a few times to give it a fighting chance. Now play them side by side and see how poorly the Tyros fares. Do the same with the Jupiter 8 or OB-X versus your Tyros 4. That vintage synth pack isn't going to come close.

There's a reason people use vintage synths, its because nothing else sounds like them. Unless you're willing to do multisamples with a minimum of 5 seconds each, no looping, and sample each or every other key, you're not likely to come close to the original. This would require massive memory which would well exceed the total ROM that the Tyros 4 comprises.

#346057 - 06/25/12 03:03 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Ensnareyou]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
I merely stated that the sounds from the vintage synth pack are inferior to their original counterparts which they're suppose to mimic and then others went off on a tangent. You didn't see me say my Wersi has better synthesizer sounds than the Tyros 4 although it does. Unlike the Tyros, the Wersi uses FM, Wavetable, Analog Modeling, and Samples to produce its sounds. In addition I can layer any combination of the various types of synthesis to make massive sounds.

Me reproducing a Eurythmics song using my Wersi or any other arranger would be pointless unless I were to use samples from the Juno 6, SH09, OB-X, and Movement Drum Computer. At least I have the capability to do this rather than be stuck with some sub par vintage synth sounds the manufacturer wants me to believe sound authentic.

I'm lucky to own or have owned almost every great analog synth ever made. It saddens me to see companies promote a product saying its giving you an authentic sound of the original when it bares no resemblance to it.

I was looking forward to hearing your Wersi's synth sounds, so it is rather disappointing that you won't provide them.

So, essentially, all we have is your opinion that your Wersi "has better synthesizer sounds than the Tyros 4".

It would have been nice if, like you, we were actually able to compare, but since Wersi instruments are a bit like Yeti on this forum, that obviously isn't going to happen.

No problem. Believe whatever you want.

As I said earlier, sound is very personal and subjective, and what sounds great (or "better") to you, may sound rather ordinary to the rest of us.

Ian

#346058 - 06/25/12 03:17 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: ianmcnll]
Ensnareyou Offline

This isn't about my Wersi having better synthesizer sounds, its about the Yamaha vintage synth pack being a so so offering not closely resembling the instrument it's meant to mimic. Granted they'll be some usable sounds in the pack, but don't think for a second you're getting a sound remotely close to the real deal.

If the Tyros 4 was as amazing as Ian touts it to be, I'd sell every instrument I have to buy the panacea. If I had a Tyros 4 I'd never need another instrument again.

#346059 - 06/25/12 03:37 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Ensnareyou]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
This isn't about my Wersi having better synthesizer sounds, its about the Yamaha vintage synth pack being a so so offering not closely resembling the instrument it's meant to mimic. Granted they'll be some usable sounds in the pack, but don't think for a second you're getting a sound remotely close to the real deal.

If the Tyros 4 was as amazing as Ian touts it to be, I'd sell every instrument I have to buy the panacea. If I had a Tyros 4 I'd never need another instrument again.

It wasn't about your Wersi having "better synthesizer sounds" until you stated it did, and that is still your opinion and certainly not a fact.

I have a Tyros4, and, it is to me, a very complete instrument...the stock on-board synth patches are pretty terrific (especially some of the pads), and all are nicely editable with either the on-board controls (for basic editing) or the provided PC Editor (for more extensive mods) and being able to stack up to three of them, really sounds awesomely cool. I also feel the synth pack will be a nice addition to what's already there.

As Billy said earlier, this wasn't supposed to be a "mine is better than yours" thread, so I'm content to leave things where they are, especially since you are unable to back up your previous "better than" statements with examples from your Wersi and therefore provide a fair comparison.

Ian

#346063 - 06/25/12 04:54 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Ensnareyou]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
EnsnareYou,

I also think you are missing the point of all this. An arranger keyboard needs to normailize styles and sounds for ALL songs. Not just songs for the Eurythmics. There are specialty synths to reproduce those sounds as you pointed out.

You don't like the sounds of the sample pack for the T4 because it did not accurately reflect the sounds specific to a particular song in a particular synthesizer. There is absolutely nothing stopping a T4 owner from sampling the exact sounds from that song and reproducing them. Yamaha publishes the Sample Packs to provide a wide range of usability amongst many songs and genre's. This has nothing to do with mine is better than yours, it has everything to do with comparing apples and donuts.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#346065 - 06/25/12 05:48 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: abacus]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
The original discussion was about synth sounds and I also added some links to show what professionals use for comparison purposes, however other posts appear to have moved this thread towards a mine is better than yours thread, which I had hoped we had got rid of some time ago.Bill

Not hope in hell Billy
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#346066 - 06/25/12 05:51 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Tony Hughes]
Tony Hughes Offline

Ensareyou,

Still waiting for your Eurthmics demo, will you be long I am 68 now. rotf2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#346069 - 06/25/12 09:13 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: ianmcnll]
Ensnareyou Offline

[/quote] It wasn't about your Wersi having "better synthesizer sounds" until you stated it did, and that is still your opinion and certainly not a fact.
[/quote]

Considering the Tyros 4 doesn't have any synthesis capability and my Wersi has several... Wavetable, FM, Modeling, Sampling, and allows me to stack any combination of these sources, I'd safely say the Wersi does have better synthesizer sounds.

#346072 - 06/25/12 09:34 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
Ensnareyou Offline

Al,

I'm not missing the point. If I were to sample a Memorymoog, Chroma, Jupiter 8, ARP, Oberheim, or Prophets, I'd do so utilizing more samples than Yamaha has in the Tyros 4 combined. Sampling synthesizers that can evolve over time takes long samples that require massive memory to come remotely close to the original. If Yamaha were to provide samples of this nature the synth pack would require more RAM than the Tyros has. Their point isn't to give you authentic sounds, its to sell you a cheap sound pack making you believe you're getting sounds like these vintage synths produce.

The vintage synth pack sounds used in the Eurythmics demo were weak and thin and bore no resemblance to the vintage synths the Eurythmics used for the song. As I said, it was a valiant effort, well played and recorded, the sounds were just sub par.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online