SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#345998 - 06/23/12 11:57 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Well to get an accurate synth sound (Particularly analogue) you either need a software version of it, or a large number of samples of it, (A synth is constantly moving so unless the software does the same or you have a large enough number of samples of it that you can move around) otherwise you are never going to get an accurate sound, and as the T4 has no synthesis on-board and limited sample memory, it will always be at a disadvantage.

On the other hand, if you just want something similar to add to your performance (Which a lot of people do (Hence all the easy play features available on an arranger) then they will most likely be fine. (Remember it what suits you, not somebody else)

For those that have a computer, try FM8, Absynth or Massive to get some real synth sounds. (There are many others, but the above mentioned are reasonably priced)

Details of them can be found here

Bill

#345999 - 06/23/12 12:13 PM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: abacus

On the other hand, if you just want something similar to add to your performance (Which a lot of people do (Hence all the easy play features available on an arranger) then they will most likely be fine. (Remember it what suits you, not somebody else)

True...it is what suits YOU and not someone else.

Easy Edit is also on most pro synthesizers, and, in my experience as a clinician, most players user this feature.

For me, the Tyros4 has come the closest to a complete all-in-one instrument. I'm not much for using the easy play features (one fingered chord for example), although I have heard players that were using them that would put many so called "pros" to shame.

There are many variances in how we play and what gear we need to get our ideas across..it's like speech...some people need a paragraph to say one thing, whereas some can do it in a single sentence.

I like Montunoman's saying, "It's not the keyboard, but the keyboardist."

Ian

#346003 - 06/23/12 06:55 PM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: ianmcnll]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Now this tech stuff is way over my head. Sounds like you guys are experts. I'll leave this one alone.

#346025 - 06/24/12 10:11 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I think you are all missing the point about all of this. The reason the Vintage Synth Pack is valuable is because Yamaha is the ONLY Arranger manufacturer who is publishing extensible voices and Styles for their keyboards; especially those with Flash Ram installed. I love the argument that you cant compare the voices to Software Synths and the Kronos or Jupiter or whatever. We are talking about an ARRANGER keyboard that is being expanded and supported by a conscientious manufacturer. I own the Vintage Keys pack and the sounds rival those on my Motif and Kronos.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#346034 - 06/24/12 01:17 PM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: kbrkr]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You can do this also with it >>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRDS0h0cB0Q&feature=plcp

Impuls eek

#346037 - 06/24/12 02:32 PM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: kbrkr]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
I think you are all missing the point about all of this. The reason the Vintage Synth Pack is valuable is because Yamaha is the ONLY Arranger manufacturer who is publishing extensible voices and Styles for their keyboards; especially those with Flash Ram installed. I own the Vintage Keys pack and the sounds rival those on my Motif and Kronos.

Wersi has been offering sound upgrades for all their instruments since longer than the Tyros line existed. They've also offered hardware and software upgrades so users like myself and Abacus didn't have to ditch our instrument for the next new fangled offering. So Yamaha is NOT the only arranger manufacturer as you've stated.

I seriously doubt the Tyros Vintage Synthesizers Pack Rivals the Kronos sounds. I'd also venture a guess that the Motif has many of the same sounds of vintage synthesizers on board because Yamaha uses their sound libraries on cross platforms. One things for sure, the synthesizer sounds I've heard on the T4 certainly don't compare to any of my vintage synths nor can it. You're trying to make an Apple be an Orange and that's just never going to happen.

#346038 - 06/24/12 03:06 PM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Ensnareyou]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou

Wersi has been offering sound upgrades for all their instruments since longer than the Tyros line existed. They've also offered hardware and software upgrades so users like myself and Abacus didn't have to ditch our instrument for the next new fangled offering. I seriously doubt the Tyros Vintage Synthesizers Pack Rivals the Kronos sounds. I'd also venture a guess that the Motif has many of the same sounds of vintage synthesizers on board because Yamaha uses their sound libraries on cross platforms. One things for sure, the synthesizer sounds I've heard on the T4 certainly don't compare to any of my vintage synths nor can it. You're trying to make an Apple be an Orange and that's just never going to happen.

Of course your idea of what sounds good (or authentic) is your own personal opinion, as keyboard sounds are very subjective, and what sounds good to one, may sound less than stellar to another.

Can you please provide some demos (played by you if you are up to it) of the vintage synth sounds in YOUR Wersi?

I, and no doubt, several others, would love to hear them and form our own opinions.

Ian

PS...what model Wersi do you have?

#346042 - 06/24/12 03:17 PM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Ensnareyou]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Do you gig with the Wersi? Is it portable like any other workstation?

FACT: Yamaha uses samples from the Motif for the Tyros series keyboards.

How much have you paid in total for your Wersi keyboards?? 10K 15K 20K??

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
I think you are all missing the point about all of this. The reason the Vintage Synth Pack is valuable is because Yamaha is the ONLY Arranger manufacturer who is publishing extensible voices and Styles for their keyboards; especially those with Flash Ram installed. I own the Vintage Keys pack and the sounds rival those on my Motif and Kronos.

Wersi has been offering sound upgrades for all their instruments since longer than the Tyros line existed. They've also offered hardware and software upgrades so users like myself and Abacus didn't have to ditch our instrument for the next new fangled offering. So Yamaha is NOT the only arranger manufacturer as you've stated.

I seriously doubt the Tyros Vintage Synthesizers Pack Rivals the Kronos sounds. I'd also venture a guess that the Motif has many of the same sounds of vintage synthesizers on board because Yamaha uses their sound libraries on cross platforms. One things for sure, the synthesizer sounds I've heard on the T4 certainly don't compare to any of my vintage synths nor can it. You're trying to make an Apple be an Orange and that's just never going to happen.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#346049 - 06/24/12 11:16 PM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

going to happen.

Can you please provide some demos (played by you if you are up to it) of the vintage synth sounds in YOUR Wersi?

I, and no doubt, several others, would love to hear them and form our own opinions.

Ian

PS...what model Wersi do you have?

Yep Ensnareyou,

I would love to listen to a perfect rendition of the Eurythmics, played on any Wersi, can't wait.(No pressure)!!

Tony

PS I don't think anyone other than Yamaha have the money to throw at good sounding stlyes, Wersi operate on the back of a postage stamp, I think Ketron might be better placed than Wersi to do anything like good sytles.

#346051 - 06/25/12 12:23 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The original discussion was about synth sounds and I also added some links to show what professionals use for comparison purposes, however other posts appear to have moved this thread towards a mine is better than yours thread, which I had hoped we had got rid of some time ago.

Bill

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online