SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#345961 - 06/22/12 12:56 PM Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics!
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA

#345979 - 06/23/12 01:25 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
Tony Hughes Offline

Eric,

Not certain how many people are playing the Tyros looks like two, do they need to show it all like this or is it me, sounds bloody good, amazing what you can get out of a Tyros that no other KB ARR can deliver, Yamaha have sure got it right on the money, glad I binned the Audya, it don't and never will make sounds like that... thanks Eric for finding the goodies.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#345984 - 06/23/12 09:28 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Eric,
thanks for that demo link showcasing that vintage synth
made famous on Sweet Dreams. Always loved this song. cool
What brand/model synth was that?
I'm thinking of purchasing this vintage synth pack
but at $169, will probably wait till it eventually(?) goes on sale. smile

Scott

#345986 - 06/23/12 10:02 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Awfully thin and weak sounding analog sounds. Have a listen to the original Eurythmics song and you'll quickly realize Yamaha's vintage synth pack bores no resemblance to true analog sounds used by Dave Stewart. The attempt was a valiant effort, the Tyros 4 just wasn't the correct instrument to pull it off.

For those interested the song used a Roland SH-09 and CSQ-100, Juno 6, Oberheim, and Movement Drum Computer.

#345988 - 06/23/12 10:35 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Ensnareyou]
Tony Hughes Offline

E'aint'sure,

Was it supposed to be an exact copy, wouldn't you need the group or the original DVD to do that, sounded OK to me what the hell do I know, you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time, can you give us your rendition.

woot

#345989 - 06/23/12 10:46 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I really like these new Vintage Synth sounds...since I already have an MOX6 and a mint condition vintage Roland Jupiter 8 the pack isn't going to be of much interest to me yet, although I may be interested down the road if and when I sell the JP-8.

Personally, I am thoroughly enjoying the already excellent synth patches that are already present in the Tyros4's Pad and Synth categories, and, to my experienced ears, these sounds meet or exceed the quality of voices in Yamaha's own Motif series.

Very impressive fat and warm analog style patches interspersed with incredibly sweet digital voices that work extremely well on their own or in a mix.

The Voice Editor that comes packaged with the Tyros4 is also very powerful and exceedingly easy to use.

Ian

#345990 - 06/23/12 10:56 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

The Voice Editor that comes packaged with the Tyros4 is also very powerful and exceedingly easy to use.

Ian

Ian,

You are right a lot of people don't even load it on their PC, it's a hell of a tool for editing voices and so easy to use as you say, the T4 will take some beating, I don't care what anyone says you need to own one before you start shooting blanks off at the hip.

Tony

#345991 - 06/23/12 11:10 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

...you need to own before you start shooting blanks off at the hip.

Tony

True enough Tony...there is a lot of power lurking under that panel...I grew up on high end analog synths and had the best of the early digitals, and the Tyros4 doesn't have to take a back seat to any of them.

The T4's included PC Voice editor is brilliant, although I can do most, if not all, of my basic quick editing, using the tools right on the instrument...stuff like Attack, Filter etc..

The Tyros4 will be a tough act to follow, in my opinion.

Ian

#345992 - 06/23/12 11:15 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Eric, B]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
It's supposed to be a premium pack of vintage analog synthesizer sounds but those sounds showcased fall seriously short. Yamaha has never had great samples of analog synthesizers and other than the CS-80, Yamaha has no analog synthesizers to speak of worth a damn.

I definitely don't see Ian ditching his Jupiter 8 for the vintage synth pack. The Tyros 4 is a decent keyboard but in no way are its synthesis capabilities on par with the best analog synthesizers of the past. To think otherwise would be foolish.

#345996 - 06/23/12 11:42 AM Re: Yamaha Vintage Synth Pack Tribute to Eurythmics! [Re: Ensnareyou]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
It's supposed to be a premium pack of vintage analog synthesizer sounds but those sounds showcased fall seriously short. Yamaha has never had great samples of analog synthesizers and other than the CS-80, Yamaha has no analog synthesizers to speak of worth a damn.

I definitely don't see Ian ditching his Jupiter 8 for the vintage synth pack. The Tyros 4 is a decent keyboard but in no way are its synthesis capabilities on par with the best analog synthesizers of the past. To think otherwise would be foolish.

I don't think I'd ditch my Jupiter 8 for any analog packs, including the VST's available out there.

Still, the Tyros4 shines in areas that my Jupiter 8 (and MOX6) can't touch, especially those big hybrid type digital sounds that also have a lot of analog character in them.

I didn't fancy the CS-80, and the only analogs I really liked were the high end Moog, Oberheim and Roland.

Many of the patches on the Tyros4 are very reminiscent of a high end analog midi'd to a high quality digital...they sound BIG and impressive and have lots of movement and character...I can't get that on a strictly analog synth, although the Oberheim Matrix 12 could get pretty close.

Certainly the appeal and quality of synth sounds and patches are a subjective matter, as I've heard people rave about sounds that did not appeal to me in the slightest, and, then again, some really big hit songs were produced using extremely low-end synths and very thin sounding patches, so I guess it all boils down to personal preferences and, in many cases, stumbling on a sound that seems to do the trick.

One thing for sure, the Tyros4 has come the closest to the "ideal" one instrument only than any other keyboard I have owned in the past.

Ian

PS...being able to stack up to three of the Tyros4's already powerful voices really gives the player quite a varied palette...then with judicious use of panning and the excellent on board effects, you can end up with some very interesting patches indeed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online