SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#345612 - 06/12/12 12:35 PM You LIKE me...now what?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think I have lots of friends here...some like me better than others.

What if I posted music that just didn't get the job done...BAD
work that just showed marginal talent/ability?

What would be the proper response from someone who liked me but hated the music I posted? Say I missed a really important passing chord. Or, I couldn't carry a tune in a large bucket.

What would the proper response be?

Russ

#345617 - 06/12/12 02:10 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'd be on you like a buzzard on a truck full of guts.
But I probably wouldn't be able to tell if you missed a chord.
DonM

#345619 - 06/12/12 02:32 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I think I have lots of friends here...some like me better than others.

What if I posted music that just didn't get the job done...BAD
work that just showed marginal talent/ability?

What would be the proper response from someone who liked me but hated the music I posted? Say I missed a really important passing chord. Or, I couldn't carry a tune in a large bucket.

What would the proper response be?

Russ

Russ not sure how to respond to your question? But I don't post music here to save myself and members the embarassment of having to post a comment that they may not want to.

Once upon a time I sent music to a member here that I corresponded with. He about tore me a new arsehole and told me I should work for free. We both lost our friendship that day. I know I'm not good, but I know I don't have to play for the bubble unless I chose to work a venue that's for tips only. I did that about 5 years ago when I was trying to get some exposure. Hey even though it was only for tips I could squeeze out $50 to $75 for 3 hours of playing at a waterfront cafe during the brunch hours.

#345620 - 06/12/12 02:42 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Interesting subject, Russ ... I personally would welcome 'constructive' criticism, and at 71 yrs. I think I've developed a thick enough skin to accept what people say ...
But if someone doesn't want to make a 'negative' comment publicly, they do have the forum option of leaving a 'personal message' ...
If people are willing to post a song, they should be willing to take some criticism ... BUT, even criticism can be levied in a NICE way ... darthvader

PS ... Steve ... FYI ... apparently I was writing this as you were posting your response ...

Edited by tony mads usa (06/12/12 02:45 PM)

#345621 - 06/12/12 03:01 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Interesting subject

PS ... Steve ... FYI ... apparently I was writing this as you were posting your response ...

Tony I have to acknowledge you about the Java Madness Cafe gig. You and Lydia were in the audience a number of times and were always good for a generous tip. Too bad I couldn't have gotten you there for every gig. bow

#345622 - 06/12/12 03:08 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

I always try to acknowledge 'live' musicians with a tip ... especially if they play well ... wink

#345623 - 06/12/12 03:10 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I always try to acknowledge 'live' musicians with a tip ... especially if they play well ... wink

Thanks bud! smile

#345625 - 06/12/12 03:59 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ,

Like Don, I would be on your a$$ like a blood-suckin' tick! wink Of course, like most folks, I would be very hard pressed to determine if you actually missed a passing chord. blush

As for the singing, some folks can, and some cannot. For those that cannot, I encourage them to take vocal lessons, which can be extremely helpful for a large number of individuals with marginal singing abilities. Many of those that have taken my advice and enrolled in community college vocal courses have really blossomed into wonderful singers. I guess what I'm trying to say is I would use diplomacy.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#345629 - 06/12/12 05:56 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Russ, I personally would welcome constructive from anybody on this forum. That’s why I have posted my music here. Sure it’s nice to get positive comments and but how can anyone grow if they are always told “great job”. Now, yes there are times when I have heard friends’ music that I don’t like at all. What do I do? If it’s a style of music that I don’t like, I don’t feel I can give much feedback either positive or negative. Now if an area I have some knowledge in, and I feel I have some advice that could be helpful, I’d probably give it. If I didn’t know the person well, or felt they didn’t want my advice, then I wouldn’t have much say. The truth is I admire anyone who makes a sincere effort at music. I know it takes a lot of effort to record and upload your music. I also know what it’s like to crash and burn on stage and have the balls to come back up to try again. We’re musicians and we’re all in this together.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#345630 - 06/12/12 05:58 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I guess what I'm trying to say is I would use diplomacy.

Gary cool

What Gary said smile

#345631 - 06/12/12 06:02 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Stephenm52]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
[

Once upon a time I sent music to a member here that I corresponded with. He about tore me a new arsehole and told me I should work for free. We both lost our friendship that day. [/quote]

Well that's just plain "efed" up and mean spirited. How can a comment like that be helpful at all?

#345641 - 06/13/12 11:10 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: montunoman]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi All,

Frank Callahan in Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood)says "a man need to know his limitaions" if you don't know your limitaions, don't ask others to tell you it may well offend you, simple, if you are worried, don't post your work, we need neither laugh, clap or cry.

Tony

#345652 - 06/13/12 02:57 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Tony Hughes]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Constructive criticism is the best kind of criticism in the world; it says someone cares enough to help me with his opinion.
If their hidden motive is I am better than you than their opinion has no value and should be treated as such.

When I came off the bandstand I searched my friends for their opinions -- I really did not want to hear how great I was my pride was doing a good job with that one.(grin) I wanted to hear where I could improve, how could we do it better.

John C.

#345660 - 06/13/12 04:06 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Tony Hughes]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Hi All,

Frank Callahan in Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood)says "a man need to know his limitaions"
Tony

How about this for constructive criticism - Clint's Dirty Harry name is "Harry," thus the movie title "Dirty Harry." wink

Just havin' fun with you, Tony,

Gary cool

#345664 - 06/13/12 05:54 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: travlin'easy]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA

#345672 - 06/14/12 03:38 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Hi All,

Frank Callahan in Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood)says "a man need to know his limitaions"
Tony

How about this for constructive criticism - Clint's Dirty Harry name is "Harry," thus the movie title "Dirty Harry." wink

Just havin' fun with you, Tony,

Gary cool

Gary,

Did it just for you, it was your subliminal eye test, shows there is at least nothing wrong with your eyes, beware I am working on a brain test for you heeeeeeee bloody haaaaaaaaaaaaa duel

Rock on Gary

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#345673 - 06/14/12 03:40 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: OldNewb]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: OldNewb

How the hell can you fall fast asleep and play the violin. (fiddle then)

party

#345674 - 06/14/12 03:46 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: bruno123]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123

When I came off the bandstand I searched my friends for their opinions -- I really did not want to hear how great I was my pride was doing a good job with that one.(grin) I wanted to hear where I could improve, how could we do it better.

John C.

John,

When I came off the bandstand I searched my friends they had all gone and those who were not my friends had gone too, lighten up John this is a barrel of laughs, this is all that SZ has got left at the moment, note I never post work, you would all go walkabout, Nigel would have to close CZ down.. lack of support, TRUSS me John. dance2 rotf2

#345782 - 06/18/12 09:31 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
What annoys me is why someone would post a song for a group of professional musicians playing maybe 4, 5 or 6 chords when all they need to do is what most average professional musicians do and purchase a "Fakebook" for around $35 and use the 15 chords that the song calls for. Or, perhaps just play it on a gig with the 4, 5, or 6 chords where the general public doesn't know that you're murdering the chord chart of the song. Doesn't this make good common sense?

Playing by ear causes this. I play by ear. However, I won't play a tune unless I do research on the chord structure, unless it is a simple blues or a 4, 5 or 6-chord tune.

Less face it, the public enjoys the lyrics of a pretty song and all of the popular tunes of the day and the oldies but goodies. However, they don’t know a Kb from a Q#, so you can get away with anything if you know the lyrics. But why murder a beautiful song like “Body and Soul” with 5 or 6 chords, especially in front of a group of professional musicians. What’s more pitiful is being told that you did a great job because no one wants to be called a know it all on the forum because they told you that you need to learn the other 12 chords and repost.

Get a Fakebook and educate yourself, if you’re wanting to play intricate chord changes for the many tunes written in this fashion. Otherwise, do what you know you can do and stick with it. The public in general is one thing. Hurting the ears of your professional musician peers is very annoying. Also, you’re actually teaching others how to play intricate chord pattern tunes with simple 4, 5, or 6 chord changes. What an injustice to music and to the person that thinks that that was “cool.“

Now I guess I’ll only have Russ and a few others here that will agree with me.

I quit listening to the old jazz standards that the folks post here on the forum. Dam’it Russ , why did you ask this question.

#345783 - 06/18/12 10:49 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: brickboo]

Well, damn, "Brick", I was looking for the ONE person who had the balls to tell it like it is, and, guess what? YOU get the prize.

The conflict I have had is there have been some postings from people I know and really like that were TERRIBLE!

Because of their popularity, I said nothing. Others gave positive reviews of what, in several ways, were really awful efforts...from structure to a bad lead line and more.

I don't think that's doing anyone any good. I expect that the general public will say good things about marginal work...they don't know any better.

We DO!

But, it's a fine line. Face to face, I'd say, "Brick, I think that last change was a D minor seventh, not an F". You would try it out and we'd go from there.

Here, with no "face to face", when you hide behind the keyboard, you get responses that are "biased" in both directions.

Smart-assed responses get irate rebuttals. Feelings get hurt.
The learning process in hindered.

I've thought of posting a really marginal piece as a joke/test to see what happens. Keep in mind this is from someone who has NEVER responded with a critique to a marginal piece, so, If I'm preaching to the choir, I'm sitting in the front row.

I sincerely appreciate your honest response.

Russ

#345786 - 06/18/12 11:55 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
Tony Hughes Offline

I've thought of posting a really marginal piece as a joke/test to see what happens.

I sincerely appreciate your honest response.

Russ

Go for Russ, lets hear it.

Tony

#345790 - 06/18/12 12:42 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
brickboo Offline

Russ we might lose some friends on this, and all we are trying to do is to encourage forum friends to make an effort to better their knowledge.

You know what, not everyone will be able to play like Wynton Kelly, Bill Evans and a few others even if they could practice for a thousand years. However, everyone could learn chord theory and the correct chords if they would make the effort. There is no excuse with all of the help that can be found on the internet.

Please spare me all of the "Elvis" made $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ using maybe 4 or 5 possibly 6 chords on a few of his songs. Russ and I are talking about serious musician ship not just making money. Lots of people make tons of money stealing. Ever heard of Madoff?

To me playing for 3 years or more and only playing 3 chord tunes, (even worst playing for 20 years and only knowing 6 chord tunes is more pathetic) would be the equivalent of Joe Montana, Drew Brees, Elway, Favre, Peyton, and Tom Brady knowing just 6 plays. Think about it for a minute. I bet they couldn’t make the money old “Elvis” made using 6 plays.

All we are asking is please don't post a song that you know nothing about the chord structure!! Do what you know you can do. Missing one chord and not being perfect is not what we’re talking about either. No one is perfect. However, come on now. Seriously "All The Things You Are" with 6 even 7 or 8 chords is not gonna cut it.

Russ and I aren’t great musicians but we do make a strong effort to play the correct chords. Please make the same effort is all we ask. Like Russ said, “for the benefit of all the ones that participate here on the forum, and are interested in learning music in general, especially the right chords.

Using the right chords has nothing to do with entertainment and making $$$$$$$$, but chord theory is 99% of what music and musician-ship is all about.

#345793 - 06/18/12 12:57 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Actually Russ IS a great musician, and you're not bad either Boo. smile
The reason I listen to posts here is NOT to see how good someone is, or if they are missing chords. I listen to hear what the various arrangers sound like when used as I use them.
I'm afraid these kinds of posts will prevent too many people from showing me what their keyboards sound like.
I don't post songs here to show you guys how many chords I know. If I post one it's generally because someone asks how that PA3X, or whatever board I currently have, sounds. I get plenty of (usually positive) feedback from my live audiences, five nights a week, year after year.
Now, come on down Boo, and I'll show you how to dumb yourself down enough to play old Hank songs.
DonM

#345794 - 06/18/12 01:13 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

90% of the time people listen & are just trying to be nice or don't say anything at all avoiding banning.....but what gets me is when they outright say great job when OBVIOUSLY it stinks, better off just keeping quiet.Or better yet post their own version to show how it could be improved upon for all to learn from.

Edited by Dnj (06/18/12 01:20 PM)

#345795 - 06/18/12 01:25 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Brickboo is 100% correct, of course. I myself am often guilty of taking 'chordal shortcuts' if 1) I don't know the tune very well, or 2) if it's a very simple tune (some tunes sound downright weird if you try to use jazz changes and transitions, etc).

One of the problems with performances on this particular board is that arrangers don't lend themselves very well to precise chord changes. If there are three changes in a measure, an arranger is just not going to play them all. It's what you get for letting a computer make the musical decisions for you. I sent Russ a copy of 'Round Midnight (Thelonius Monk) a while back; not great but I'd sure like to hear someone try it on an arranger keyboard (in style mode). First of all, it would be interesting just to see how many of Monk's chords (all common, standard jazz chords, btw) the arranger would even recognize.

I'm sure you've all met people who didn't realize they were dumb. Well substitute talentless for dumb and you should be able to recognize their counterparts in the music world. Of course, as long as you keep going 'GREAT JOB', they'll NEVER know, right? Anyway, I suppose feelings are more important than truth, and civility trumps honest, constructive criticism.

BTW, Russ is so correct in pointing out that we tend to base our responses (or lack, thereof) on the popularity of the musical poster (ie. 'whoops, can't tell ol' whats-his-name how bad he is, he's such a nice guy and besides, he's helped me out a couple of times). OTOH, 'if you can't say anything good, don't say anything' works too.

Here is a link for those who wish to progress beyond triads in C. After you learn HOW to play them, then you just need to learn WHEN to play them.

http://www.apassion4jazz.net/jazz_chords.html

BTW, Russ couldn't fake a clunker if he wanted to. Muscle memory would kick in and those beautiful chords would sneak out anyway smile .

Peace and Love,

chas

#345796 - 06/18/12 01:31 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Dnj]

My good friend Boo is doing what I do sometimes...venting on our plight as "jazzers".

In our reality, we spend years working on intricate structures and lead lines only to wake up one day and realize that we have played ourselves out of a job.

We end up somewhere in the stratosphere playing things that the general public not only does not recognize but does not like. In our minds, we don't have a choice

The options are to "dumb down" (in our opinions) and get paid to play crap (in our opinions) or STARVE.

We see some little 20 year old who knows two or three chords wiggling his (or, preferably,"her") ass and singing with an autotune making major jack.

I get mad and a little jealous.

We KNOW the deal, and we struggle along, frustrated ole "dudes" that we are.

Sometimes, as happened here, we "lose it a little" and "spout off".

For anyone I offended, I'm genuinely sorry. And To Boo,
I completely understand.

It'd be GREAT to play together sometime.

And gentleman Don, you don't have to take a back seat to anyone. If you've "dumned down", you've dumned down like a fox! You've got it together...just the right combination of musicianship and entertaining ability to get a little of what you deserve.

Be well, all!

Russ

#345797 - 06/18/12 01:33 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Dnj]

Donny, my point EXACTLY, said in a lot fewer words.

R.

#345800 - 06/18/12 01:54 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]

Damn, Chas, I know why you don't post often, but I really miss the straight-forward, well thought out and beautifully written opinions.

As a group, we've gotten a little "soft" lately. There's nothing wrong with politeness (a year or so ago, we went FAR, FAR in the OTHER direction; sometimes writing hurtful things that served no useful purpose), but that politeness should not preclude sincere opinions and critiques which result in progress for the participants.

Chas was very successful in his working career. He deserved the rewards he got. But, If you listen to one of his tasty grooves, it's evident that, adjusting for pay scales, of course, he could have easily claimed a spot as a top revered
cool jazz master. When I "grow up" I want to be just like him LOL!

Play on, all,

Russ

#345806 - 06/18/12 04:11 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Donny, my point EXACTLY, said in a lot fewer words.

R.

#345811 - 06/18/12 07:37 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: DonM]
brickboo Offline

Don, you're absolutely right about wanting to hear a sound or a style. I'm not trying to discourage posting recordings. I think it's great.

I think a musician, entertainer etc should do what he's comfortable with. Just don't post what you don't know. A musical post should not be practicing, or experimenting with an intricate tune using 3 chords. It's not beneficial or educational for anyone or for any reason. Is this request unreasonable? Please upload your recordings and play what you know.

DNJ I agree with you also. I don't hear anything to complain about on your recorded postings or the CD you sent me. However like Uncle Dave friend, you can't carry a tune in a bucket, but you sure can croon and swing!!!

DonM I always enjoy your renditions too. I'll hear a lick you play and wish I was down there so you could show it to me. I would figure out a way to play it on my sax as a jazz lick. Like I said before, You play better guitar on the keyboard than 95% of the guitar players accompanying the vocalist making the big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on TV today.

There was a group on one of the morning shows last week. The hosts on the show marveled about the entertainer, the song etc. and the damn guitar wasn't even in tune with itself. How disgusting and embrassing. I couldn't believe it.

For sure we don't have to listen to out of tune keyboards. Just imagine wrong chords or not the proper chords an an out of tune keyboard. I'm going to have nightmares tonight over this statement I just made.

This post is a request. It's not meant to offend or embarrass anyone what-so-ever.

Do your own thing but use the right chords. Pleeeeeeeese???

#345814 - 06/18/12 10:28 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
90% of the time people listen & are just trying to be nice or don't say anything at all avoiding banning

As that is directed right at me Donny here is my response.

No-one has ever been banned just for being critical. But HOW the criticism is expressed sure can be deserving of a ban. If people can't express a critical viewpoint without being abusive they should just keep well away. The bottom line is act like a jerk and get treated like one.

#345818 - 06/19/12 12:12 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: DonM]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: DonM
Actually Russ IS a great musician, and you're not bad either Boo. smile
The reason I listen to posts here is NOT to see how good someone is, or if they are missing chords. I listen to hear what the various arrangers sound like when used as I use them.
I'm afraid these kinds of posts will prevent too many people from showing me what their keyboards sound like.
I don't post songs here to show you guys how many chords I know. If I post one it's generally because someone asks how that PA3X, or whatever board I currently have, sounds. I get plenty of (usually positive) feedback from my live audiences, five nights a week, year after year.
Now, come on down Boo, and I'll show you how to dumb yourself down enough to play old Hank songs.
DonM

You have totally nailed it Don. This forum is not about the ability to perform but is ALL about the keyboards being used. Thanks so much for pointing that out and bringing everyone back down to earth.

#345819 - 06/19/12 01:34 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: brickboo]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: brickboo
The hosts on the show marveled about the entertainer, the song etc. and the damn guitar wasn't even in tune with itself. How disgusting and embrassing. I couldn't believe it.

Hey a stringed instrument like a guitar can go out of tune so easily especially in an air conditioned environment. People that don't play a stringed instrument just don't realize how easily this can happen and you don't even know it until you start playing a song. In a live situation there just isn't much you can do mid song other than stop playing and adjust tuning. Tough when it is a live one song appearance.

#345829 - 06/19/12 07:45 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

Not just guitars either, Nigel. I used to have a Micromoog that was a bugger for going out of tune. Many's the time I'd by playing with my right hand and reaching over to the back with my left hand to tweak the tuning knob on the fly. Thank goodness things have improved since then.

#345848 - 06/19/12 12:48 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]

Nigel, I think one of the benefits of sticking around here is the chance to learn MUSIC...any and all things pertaining to music. That would certainly include changes, passing chords, inversions...anything to make player/performers better. Info shared could be about keyboards, software, music theory, performance tips...it's all been posted here and appreciated.

Reviews of boards is right up there, but, for me, at least, that's not why I'm here.

I tend to listen closer...a LOT closer, to the better players. They have it figured out.

If you submitted a piece and you flubbed an important change, would you rather be told about it or keep embarrassing yourself every time you played it?

Learning from each other...isn't that a big part of what being a musician is all about?

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (06/19/12 12:52 PM)

#345858 - 06/19/12 03:42 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
brickboo Offline

Russ I agree totally with you and DNJ. You too hit the nail on the head. After the first month when I first came to this forum and found out which keyboard that I wanted, (incidentally it wasn't on this forum it was from a "Korg" forum that I made my decision) I only wanted to know about sequencing at the time for my sax playing.

Many here were telling me this keyboard had more sounds and better sounds and so on and so forth than the other keyboard etc. This was boring me to death at the time. No one here knew a thing about sequencing 10 years ago, seriously.

Aren’t we all interested in learning what is the best way to play the keyboard and how to play the keyboard? Really, is the only interest here is to sit around and listen to the different sounds all day.

I just have a hard time in understanding why someone with a musical instrument would not want to learn to keep improving his or her playing ability. Doesn’t this seem like this is a place where this should happen.

Isn't music a bit deeper than just the sounds and number of sounds on a keyboard? I mean you can have the greatest sounding keyboard that's 50 years more advanced than everyone else's keyboard and if you insist on doing it your way (using chords that sound awful) wouldn't that be foolish.

I'm not here because of sounds. I go to the music store to listen to how a keyboard sounds. All keyboards sound great if you can play it. My friend "Jack Ness" who is one of the better musicians that I’ve ever worked with plays his gigs with a Casio. Some of the folks from this forum emailed me and wanted to know what keyboard Jack was using. Ha ha! This is when I knew absolutely nothing about arrangers. Now I chuckle when I think about it.

I think everyone will be elated because I think I’m finished with this subject. My head is starting to hurt from beating it against a brick wall.

TO QUOTE A PHRASE FROM THIS FORUM THAT I’VE READ MANY TIMES, Try to keep this in mind it is one of the most profound statements voiced in the history of this forum from the very first post, IT IS NOT THE KEYBOARD, IT IS THE KEYBOARDIST.
I REALLY DO NOT PLAY KEYBOARD VERY WELL. I’M A SAX PLAYER. HOWEVER, ALONG WITH MY VOCALS, I GET EMBARRASSED IF I HIT A WRONG CHORD AND I’M PLAYING FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC WHO DOESN’T KNOW A Bb FROM A Q#. Ha ha!
GOOD BY FOR NOW!!

#345863 - 06/19/12 05:28 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
My two cents (for what it's worth) . . .

When I first joined Synthzone over 12 years ago, I too had hoped the discussions included more about music theory (scales, chords, chord progressions, chord substitutions, chord extensions, on bass/pedal, arranger orchestration, etc), as well as arranger keyboard specific "playing" technique. When I initially brought up rootless jazz chord voicings, I was poo-poo'ed and even accused by a few members of coming off like an elitist snob, so gave up any idea of this place being anything else other than an informative, and often combative 'gear debate' forum. I suspect the reason could be the membership's extreme variance of music background, experience, and education. I also discovered early on that being a 'Pro' musician here doesn't necessarily reflect one's musicianship skill level.

I for one want to continually improve as a musician, so it will be interesting to find out how many others here are really seriously interested in becoming better arranger keyboard players, or simply content maintaining the status quo, whatever level it may currently be (from beginner to advanced).

#345865 - 06/19/12 07:34 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Scottyee]

I would like to turn this into a positive link. When I learn a song I am not interested in the extended chords – such as G13-5, G7+5, G#11. I turn every chord into it simplest, example from G7#11 into G7. Cm11 into Cm. For one it helps me memorize a song quickly. My second reason is that many times the chords are not correct. Do I play the song with the simple chords? Never.

As a guitarist I always tried to tell a story with my chords. You could listen to my chords and leave the melody out and it would sound good – I was telling a story, a story that added to the singer or soloist. If I was backing a sax I knew his solo could reach new heights if I played a great chord line.

You do not add or extend chords for a song like Rock around the clock – or Fame – to do so would destroy what made it popular in the first place. Songs like Body and sound and Misty offer a lot of room for a player to express themselves.

My suggestion, if there are people who are interested, is to post one or two ideas on a particular song. In the past players posted a complete song with all the changes they made; overkill, too much to absorb at one time. Just one or two ideas. Those who enjoy sharing their knowledge as well as those who wish to learn will get something from the posts.

John C.

#345867 - 06/19/12 07:53 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Nigel, I think one of the benefits of sticking around here is the chance to learn MUSIC...any and all things pertaining to music. That would certainly include changes, passing chords, inversions...anything to make player/performers better. Info shared could be about keyboards, software, music theory, performance tips...it's all been posted here and appreciated.

Learning from each other...isn't that a big part of what being a musician is all about?

Russ

As one who MOST RECENTLY made a faux pas with an error in a tune I submitted - and being told in no uncertain terms that I probably shouldn't be out gigging - I have read this thread with great interest ...

My question is - and it's not just to you Russ - "has anyone REALLY ever tried to discuss music on this board, as suggested in Russ' post?" ... Not that I remember ... one of the great failures of my life is that I did not MAKE the time to study and learn chord substitutions, passing chords, etc. but I do feel that when I play from a fake book, lead sheet, whatever, I DO play the chords shown ... Also, I realize that I have not been naturally blessed with a very good ear - perhaps leading to the aforementioned faux pas, - but I think that was more a case of 'playing around' with the midi file, recording, and submitting, without really LISTENING to it - and that was MY error ...
I have always felt, that if I want to post something, I have to be ready for the comments, and I accepted them, even when one critic "wasn't trying to be mean, but ..." If I step into the batter's box, I have to be ready for a 'beanball' ...
I for one would LOVE it if there were REAL discussions about MUSIC - chord substitutions, passing chords, etc. ... but will that ever happen? ...

#345869 - 06/19/12 08:06 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

It will if some of the pros who have knowledge in those areas start posting stuff to help out those of us to whom some of the finer points of chording are a bit of a mystery.

I think there are a few qualfied individuals on here (and I'm certainly not one of them) who might initiate such topics. Let's hear from you guys. Any takers?

#345870 - 06/19/12 09:22 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]
brickboo Offline

One more comment to 124. Do yourself a big big favor if you're serious about learning, and buy the "Real Fake Book" the "jazz version. Google for it. Start with the simple tunes and as you progress work with the more complicated songs.

Purchase the plain simple version of BIAB. Type the chords in and play along after you get a bit familiar with a few songs in the fake book.

It would take Russ 150 years to teach you on this forum what you will learn in a month with the fake book if you know how a chord is structured. If you don't know how to build a chord, you’ll need to learn to play the scale and go up a second octave and find the 9th note the 11th note the 13th note so on and so forth. Then you’ll understand how a chord is structured and it will be easier to figure out the b9, #9, b5, #5 etc.

For example, for C9 play C, E, G and D. . . for C79 add the Bb for the dominate 7th or B natural for a CM7,9. Incidentally usually when you see C9 most of the time it will call for the dominant or the flatted 7th if that’s what you want to call it.

Forget about inversions, rootless chords etc. until you learn how to form a straight up chord. You can learn the inversions, rootless and such after you began to understand chord structure. You have to learn how to form the chords first. You can’t run until you learn to walk right?

I don't know any other simpler way to explain this. I taught a friend this theory almost 40 years ago in 8 hours in one day. The next day he is not a pianist, but he’s singing and playing the chords to “I Left My Heart In SF.” He figured it out on his own just after he understood basic chord structure. He wasn't a rocket scientist and only had a little knowledge playing a trumpet and he didn't do that very well.

I always claimed that if you can count to 13 and you’re really interested, I can teach you this at a piano in a very short time.

In western style music, ( I’m not talking country music), there are only 13 notes. So, in reality then you just start talking another octave. This is really pretty simple if you figure it out mathematically.

This system will not work if you want to be a concert pianist. If that’s the case forget what I said here and hire a great concert pianist to teach you. Warning if you do the concert pianist thing, hire a teacher and learn to read music, there’s a more than 90% chance you won’t be able to jam. Usually at a jam session there isn’t any sheet music available.

If you can't count to 13 then you're hopeless. Ha ha! (Pun intended.) I hadn't met any one lately who couldn't count to 13.

If anyone wants to, please email me. I don’t know everything neither does anyone else. I’m willing to share what I am able to share. Thanks for putting up with me again.

#345872 - 06/20/12 12:21 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
My two cents (for what it's worth) . . .

When I first joined Synthzone over 12 years ago, I too had hoped the discussions included more about music theory (scales, chords, chord progressions, chord substitutions, chord extensions, on bass/pedal, arranger orchestration, etc), as well as arranger keyboard specific "playing" technique. When I initially brought up rootless jazz chord voicings, I was poo-poo'ed and even accused by a few members of coming off like an elitist snob, so gave up any idea of this place being anything else other than an informative, and often combative 'gear debate' forum. I suspect the reason could be the membership's extreme variance of music background, experience, and education. I also discovered early on that being a 'Pro' musician here doesn't necessarily reflect one's musicianship skill level.

I for one want to continually improve as a musician, so it will be interesting to find out how many others here are really seriously interested in becoming better arranger keyboard players, or simply content maintaining the status quo, whatever level it may currently be (from beginner to advanced).

Scott,

I may have to admit I ain't going to get much better than I am now on account of my brain being overloaded, in short I am learnt up. I might even be slipping backwards down the hill, and over it. violin

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#345874 - 06/20/12 05:11 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]

OK, Let’s start here:
Use Roman numbers for the step of the scales so that when we refer to Roman # I we will be referring to the first step of a scale. Use the same method for all scales.

EX. Key of C Major
C=I D=II E=III F=IV G=V A=VI B=VII
Key of F major
F=I G=II A=III B=IV C=V D=VI E=VII

I can now state that the most used progression is
V to I G to C in the key of C. C to F in the key of F.

Look through your lead sheets for V to I progressions. The V7 chord is normally used instead of a V chord. In the key of C Major it would be G7 to C instead of G to C. The seventh gives a strong feeling of movement.

Like I said in my post, just one thought, and then slowly build on it. This will give people a chance to absorb and research.

John C.

#345880 - 06/20/12 07:22 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: bruno123]
brickboo Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
OK, Let’s start here:
Use Roman numbers for the step of the scales so that when we refer to Roman # I we will be referring to the first step of a scale. Use the same method for all scales.

EX. Key of C Major
C=I D=II E=III F=IV G=V A=VI B=VII
Key of F major
F=I G=II A=III B=IV C=V D=VI E=VII

I can now state that the most used progression is
V to I G to C in the key of C. C to F in the key of F.

Look through your lead sheets for V to I progressions. The V7 chord is normally used instead of a V chord. In the key of C Major it would be G7 to C instead of G to C. The seventh gives a strong feeling of movement.

Like I said in my post, just one thought, and then slowly build on it. This will give people a chance to absorb and research.

John C.

Bruno the F example needs the B changed to a Bb. The B natural is actually the flatted 5th or if you wish the raised 4th of the F scale. But I'm sure that you know this. However, there might be even just one person here that does not know this and we don't want to confuse them.

I think after all of the post on this subject the topic is going to remain "how does your keyboard sound", "how many different sounds does it have," my keyboard has 50 billion styles." Don't hold your breath waiting to hear this type question "am I playing the right chord or is there a better chord substitution at the 6th bar in the bridge?

Like Scott said "Everyone seems to be content with the status quo." I can live with that. To each his own. Please just post songs that you know the correct chords to and quit messing other people up on this forum who may be trying to learn something. OK? Thank you and have a nice day everyone?

#345883 - 06/20/12 08:10 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: tony mads usa]

Let's face it...for most OMB players, a discussion of chord substitutions is going to be of marginal interest. After all, as Chas reminds us, we're talking arrangers here...and the limitations thereof. I do remember the valiant effort Scotty made with his early support of rootless chords on arrangers and the corresponding lack of interest or even understanding of the subject.

I think what would be useful is a response to posts suggesting appropriate chord substitutions/improvements. That way, the contributor would hear options suggested for the purpose of making the performance better.

This, of course, is not going to work with the submissions I was referencing at the start of this thread...just plain bad work.

I guess my answer to my own question is just don't say anything about the really bad posts. For others, something like,"Good effort. Have you tried ......(a description of a possible fix/improvement)"?

I think I'm done here, folks. Thanks for the well thought out responses to what could have been a pretty volatile thread.

You folks are GREAT!

R.

#345885 - 06/20/12 08:59 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]

John, Boo... good work! Be a pleasure to meet up sometime.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (06/20/12 09:04 AM)

#345891 - 06/20/12 12:53 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

One more comment to 124. Do yourself a big big favor if you're serious about learning, and buy the "Real Fake Book" the "jazz version. Google for it. Start with the simple tunes and as you progress work with the more complicated songs.

Purchase the plain simple version of BIAB. Type the chords in and play along after you get a bit familiar with a few songs in the fake book.

It would take Russ 150 years to teach you on this forum what you will learn in a month with the fake book if you know how a chord is structured. If you don't know how to build a chord, you’ll need to learn to play the scale and go up a second octave and find the 9th note the 11th note the 13th note so on and so forth. Then you’ll understand how a chord is structured and it will be easier to figure out the b9, #9, b5, #5 etc.

For example, for C9 play C, E, G and D. . . for C79 add the Bb for the dominate 7th or B natural for a CM7,9. Incidentally usually when you see C9 most of the time it will call for the dominant or the flatted 7th if that’s what you want to call it.

Forget about inversions, rootless chords etc. until you learn how to form a straight up chord. You can learn the inversions, rootless and such after you began to understand chord structure. You have to learn how to form the chords first. You can’t run until you learn to walk right?

I don't know any other simpler way to explain this. I taught a friend this theory almost 40 years ago in 8 hours in one day. The next day he is not a pianist, but he’s singing and playing the chords to “I Left My Heart In SF.” He figured it out on his own just after he understood basic chord structure. He wasn't a rocket scientist and only had a little knowledge playing a trumpet and he didn't do that very well.

I always claimed that if you can count to 13 and you’re really interested, I can teach you this at a piano in a very short time.

In western style music, ( I’m not talking country music), there are only 13 notes. So, in reality then you just start talking another octave. This is really pretty simple if you figure it out mathematically.

This system will not work if you want to be a concert pianist. If that’s the case forget what I said here and hire a great concert pianist to teach you. Warning if you do the concert pianist thing, hire a teacher and learn to read music, there’s a more than 90% chance you won’t be able to jam. Usually at a jam session there isn’t any sheet music available.

If you can't count to 13 then you're hopeless. Ha ha! (Pun intended.) I hadn't met any one lately who couldn't count to 13.

If anyone wants to, please email me. I don’t know everything neither does anyone else. I’m willing to share what I am able to share. Thanks for putting up with me again.

Boo, thank you for taking the time to type all that information. It will be helpful to many.

It's often difficult in a words-only format, such as a web forum, to put across what's relevant and what's not. There's no way you could have known from my previous post of where I'm at musically. So, just for the record, I'm familiar with 7th's, 9th's, 11th's, 13th's, etc., flattened and so on, augs, dims, inversions of same, slash chords, even on some (certainly not as many as I'd like) jazz standards, which is an area I'd like to expand.

The greater challenge for me, I think, is not so much how those chords are constructed, I seem to manage them quite well, but on where to use them. I think I may be talking substitutions here, and I'm particularly interested in 'passing' chords. This may all be a matter of trial and error for me?

As for following charts, fakebook or otherwise, it seems to me that a reasonable knowledge of music is still required. I'm a totally self-taught player, for better or worse.

On some sheet music I've seen chord symbols printed that sound so wrong when played. Hmmm.

Thanks again, Boo, for your reply. As Curtis Mayfield said, I goota Keep on Truckin'.

#345899 - 06/20/12 02:22 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]
brickboo Offline

124, I just put the info for building chord structure for ones who may not know the basics.

You know there were many mistakes in the old fake books that we had to buy on the black market years ago. Not so, with the new legal ones printed today. There may be a mistake here or there but nothing like the old books

You'd be surprised how much you will progress if you work with one. As you start to use the more complex tunes, you’ll get exactly what many musicians are looking for. That's a feel for and a knowledge of how everything comes together. You'll see how one tune relates to another tune with similar chord structure.

For example: One day you may be working on a tune in the key of C and figure out that where there is an E7 chord coming up you may want to try a Bm7 or a Bm7b5 right before the E7 chord. Why? Because a month back you actually ran across this E7 chord in another tune where the Bm7 or Bm7b5 was written into the chord structure just before the E7 in the same key of C.. This happens all over the place in all the different keys. The Bm7 or Bm7b5 in this instance would be the "Passing chord. The E7 is the primary chord.

"Maybe the person who wrote this song that you're working on now, really didn't understand chord structure and was just copying the chords from a another song that he was familiar with that some "country song writer wrote. Ha ha! (This will get DonM commenting again. Incidentally, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to copy DonM's attitude. Man he has thick skin. I think that's why he is more popular here than the rest of us!!))

I hope that I’m explaining all of this right. I know when my high school teacher sat down and showed me at the piano for maybe 10 minutes this number system for figuring out how to build a chord, it was like someone opened a huge barn door in my head. And guess what? I’m not a pimple on a rocket scientist’s A$$.

Man I hope one serious minded learning musician on this forum gets something out of all of this posting. I'd consider the time that we spent well worth it and a success.

#345903 - 06/20/12 03:20 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: brickboo]

Good conclusion to a subject really important to some of us.

Well said, with concern about the tone of the discussion.

Class act, all the way!

R.

#345904 - 06/20/12 04:01 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]

brickboo
The B natural is actually the flatted 5th or if you wish the raised 4th of the F scale

Please, please, please I stand corrected, Brickboo is right, the B note is incorrect. This is not about me defending error; it is about learning a solid correct foundation.
“Bb” is the 4th note of the F scale not “B”. But it cannot be referred to as a flatbed 5th. Although B and Cb are the same notes it will cause confusion in the future if they are not called by the Scale Step names. As we go on you will see this as a good learning step.

Next thought:
Since V7 to I is the most used progression in music let’s start here.
In the key of C major: V7 to I --- G7 to C. Instead of playing the V7 chord G7 for 4 or 8 beats IIm7 V7 I instead. (Dm7 G7) two beats each. This keeps movement in the harmony and bass line making it more interesting.
IMPORTANT; Your ear supplies the finale judgment on any of these ideas.

John C.

#345905 - 06/20/12 04:14 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: bruno123]

Sorry – but if you want this thread to succeed it has got stay simple for those who do not know – and possibly the more advanced player may pick up something they have overlooked.

This is not a John show it belongs to everyone but --- too much information will destroy it. Give your info sparingly. (My opinion)

My example:
When I moved to Florida I went to get a real-estate licenses. I was told I could take the course that was needed over a three month period or take a crash course in one week – hours were 8AM to 7AM. I selected the crash course. The instructed told us that there will be so many laws and facts to remember that by the third day you will be completely confused; but by the end of the week it will fit together. He was right; I took the test received a high score and got my licenses. Three weeks later most of what I had learned had gone. Put it in fast and it leaves just as fast.
If this thread and my posts are going in the wrong direction please let me know.

John C.

#345907 - 06/20/12 05:11 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

The great jazz educator Dan Haerle resently posted this on his FB status:

" I have good news and bad news: The bad news is when I was young we didn't have fakebooks and we had to learning everything by ear. The good news is when I was young we didn't have fakebooks and we had to learn everything by ear"

#345908 - 06/20/12 07:20 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

124, I just put the info for building chord structure for ones who may not know the basics.

You know there were many mistakes in the old fake books that we had to buy on the black market years ago. Not so, with the new legal ones printed today. There may be a mistake here or there but nothing like the old books

You'd be surprised how much you will progress if you work with one. As you start to use the more complex tunes, you’ll get exactly what many musicians are looking for. That's a feel for and a knowledge of how everything comes together. You'll see how one tune relates to another tune with similar chord structure.

For example: One day you may be working on a tune in the key of C and figure out that where there is an E7 chord coming up you may want to try a Bm7 or a Bm7b5 right before the E7 chord. Why? Because a month back you actually ran across this E7 chord in another tune where the Bm7 or Bm7b5 was written into the chord structure just before the E7 in the same key of C.. This happens all over the place in all the different keys. The Bm7 or Bm7b5 in this instance would be the "Passing chord. The E7 is the primary chord.

"Maybe the person who wrote this song that you're working on now, really didn't understand chord structure and was just copying the chords from a another song that he was familiar with that some "country song writer wrote. Ha ha! (This will get DonM commenting again. Incidentally, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to copy DonM's attitude. Man he has thick skin. I think that's why he is more popular here than the rest of us!!))

I hope that I’m explaining all of this right. I know when my high school teacher sat down and showed me at the piano for maybe 10 minutes this number system for figuring out how to build a chord, it was like someone opened a huge barn door in my head. And guess what? I’m not a pimple on a rocket scientist’s A$$.

Man I hope one serious minded learning musician on this forum gets something out of all of this posting. I'd consider the time that we spent well worth it and a success.

Boo, thanks for another solid reply. I feel I've benefitted from your advice, and I'll stick with the fakebook approach.

Russ: Thanks for starting this thread. When I first saw it, I thought it could be a bit touchy - you know how things sometimes go on SZ, but it's turned out well.

#345911 - 06/20/12 08:29 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
brickboo Offline

Thanks to everyone for your educated and well thought out responses. I'm am grateful that you appreciate learning more about music just as I and others on this forum do.

As you go along, you will never regret improving your musician-ship. As a matter of fact, I'm positive that you will enjoy the learning experience and your progress too. I wish good fortune in this endeavor to you.
Thanks again.
Boo

#345912 - 06/20/12 10:22 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

No time to defend myself Boo. I'm working every night and playing golf or fishing every day, just as a musician should!
I think I played a flatted 12th note tonight, but not certain. It was what is known as an accidental. Sure hope somebody noticed it.
DonM

#345924 - 06/21/12 07:14 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: DonM]
brickboo Offline

Don, I think that would be the flatted 5th. If you knew that that was wrong it would actually be a goof-up or a mistake not an accidental. If you had no clue as to what you were doing, that's what is known as an unlearned music tinkerer. Of course, I know you are just putting me on as I am now doing to you. Ha ha!

When I gigged with you, the only two mistakes you made that I could tell, was playing “Yakety Sax” setting the tempo at 2000 BPM, which is excessively fast for any sax player. Only an experienced keyboardist could play that tune that fast. That was mistake #1.

Mistake #2 was when we finished your gig and you took me to the hottest nightclub in town and made me get up to play with a group of real musicians that I didn’t even know existed. I think they didn't appreciate that either even though they were polite. I owe you one for that ("FRIEND")

Tell Susan and the young men I said hello, and give them my best EH?

#345931 - 06/21/12 08:43 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

I would have had to break your arm to keep you off that stage! And you MORE than held your own with the pickers that night. I think a couple of them raised enough fifths to diminish enough vodka to augment their ability to slur notes!
smile
DonM

#345933 - 06/21/12 09:06 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: DonM]

See? Mason is a success because he knows what's important!

R.

#345934 - 06/21/12 09:27 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

I guess I look at this a bit differently than some. In my case, I'm a performer/entertainer/singer that uses a keyboard. I'm NOT a musician, I never claimed to be a musician, I didn't come to an Arranger Keyboard Forum to learn the basics of music - I came here a decade ago to learn about Arranger Keyboards and what makes them tick.

When I arrived I was greeted by Uncle Dave, DNJ, Fran, Boo, and a few others. I learned a lot from them - no doubt about it. Within the same year I had the opportunity to visit with all of the above members, with the exception of Boo, who invited me to go fishing with him in Colorado. I went to New Jersey and Philadelphia to see all of them perform, look at their sound systems, and learned a lot more about improving myself as an entertainer. It was a wonderful experience that was repeated on several occasions.

A few years later I traveled to the sunny south, drove more than 5,000 miles, and met up with Joe Waters from PSR-Tutorial and his beautiful wife. From their home in Virginia, my wife and I traveled to North Carolina to meet up with The Pro, (Jim), then to northern Florida, where we watched several other OMB performers ply their trade.

South Florida is where Eddie (btweengigs) entertains at various animal clubs and does an outstanding job at keeping the dance-floor packed to capacity. We keep in touch on the telephone and internet every week. The southwest coast of Florida is where Charlie Ohram applies his magic to creating and modifying style files that he shares with the entire world. Charlie also has a huge collection of vintage organs and arranger keyboards that in some cases he completely restored.

I traveled northwest and met up with Scott Langholff and his wife, had an enjoyable dinner at a nearby restaurant, and talked about entertainment opportunities on the Florida Panhandle. We also met up with Diki and Randy (saxman), had a few margarettas, and had lots of laughs that evening.

The next stop was Bossier City, LA, where I witnessed a true master performing - Don Mason. Like most of the audience at Ernest's Restaurant that night, we were enjoying the wonderful music and songs Don performed, most of which was country, but there were other song styles as well. His wife Susan joined us a bit later on and we feasted on some traditional southern cuisine. I learned a lot from Don, and still keep learning from him. He IS the master of arranger keyboards.

I also got to meet HankB (Lurker), a great entertainer in his own wright, and we talked almost daily for years after I returned home. I also met a number of other wonderful musicians and entertainers including Bill Pittman (semilivemusic), Deane (hammer), and some of the regions best guitar players.

On the way home we stopped in Mississippi, met with Bill Gross and his wife, and Bill is a fantastic technician and keyboard player that knows Yamaha's operating systems inside and out. I learned a lot from Bill, and he says he learned a lot from me.

A few weeks after returning home we had a wonderful visit from TonyM and his beautiful wife Lydia. I fired up the gas grill, burned some fillet mignon, they got to meet my daughter and grandson and we had a fantastic evening. Later that month, TomG and his lovely wife came to town, they went with me to a nursing home job, I applied my culinary skills on the grill again, and after dinner they headed off for another visit in New Jersey.

Over the years I've talked several times with Scott Yee and Bill from Dayton on the telephone, and a couple of times Captain Russ has called. I've learned a lot from both of them.

This forum has always been one that I considered as informational and educational when it comes to arranger keyboards, sound systems, mics, and a host of other equipment utilized by both home and pro players. It's a place where a person can come and learn the ins and outs of arranger keyboards from individuals who play for a living, as well as those who just play for their own, personal enjoyment.

Now, there are some folks here that are highly skilled and trained musicians. Some attended world renown musical institutions, some spent years learning every aspect of music on their own, and these individuals can play every chord known to mankind. In the world of music, at least from my perspective, these are indeed rare individuals, especially when they have the ability and knowledge to utilize this knowledge to make a living. For this, they should be applauded.

Then, there are others here, a much larger category, of which I and many others fit into - entertainers. We're not great musicians, we can play a couple dozen chords, our right hand abilities vary, and a significant number of us cannot read a note. However, when we step up to the keyboard, we immediately gain the attention and adoration of our audiences, we get their toes tapping, they sing along with us, they pack the dance-floors. We get accolades from everyone, including other musicians who happen to be in the audiences, some come up ask about the equipment and rave about the music we produce with these wonderful tools. In more than 50 years of playing guitar and arranger keyboard, no one, not even some of the best musicians in the audiences, has ever come up to me and said "Hey, you missed those passing chords on the bridge of Unchained Melody and the song really sounded lousy because of it." (Forgot about the one time Bill From Dayton said something about playing a song in a chord that it was not originally written. That was several years ago.)

As an entertainer, I guess I've been somewhat successful. When I have a day off, which is rare, if the weather cooperates, I go sailing on the waters of Chesapeake Bay. I get to take my grandson hiking, fishing, boating, and spend some time shooting wildlife photos. When the weather's really nasty, such as today, 101-degres, 100-percent humidity, I'll spend time learning a new song, one that I like but have never performed. I'll usually record the song, listen to myself, then spend time refining the song until I feel it can be used on stage.

I'll check in on the Synthzone, PSR-Tutorial, Sailnet, look at some of the posts, then go to work on something. This has been a daily routine for a decade and it probably won't change anytime soon. Tonight, I'll be performing at an upscale retirement community for about 120 people, I'll probably miss lots of passing chords, I'll have a ball, my audiences will have a ball, the dance-floor will be filled and with luck I'll have a Conga-Line snaking through the room and out into the corridors while playing and singing Hot Hot Hot.

I'm not really sure if this addresses the OP, but in some respects I get the feeling it was directed at me, and others, that have recently posted excerpts from musical performances. I sincerely hope not, but it sure seems that way to me. If that was the case, I'm glad you took time to watch the videos, and hope those that did watch them learned something from intent of the post, which was to show how a $29 video camera can be a beneficial tool at improving performances.

Gotta' go to work,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/21/12 09:31 AM)

#345936 - 06/21/12 10:25 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

I guess I look at this a bit differently than some. In my case, I'm a performer/entertainer/singer that uses a keyboard. I'm NOT a musician, I never claimed to be a musician, I didn't come to an Arranger Keyboard Forum to learn the basics of music - I came here a decade ago to learn about Arranger Keyboards and what makes them tick.

When I arrived I was greeted by Uncle Dave, DNJ, Fran, Boo, and a few others. I learned a lot from them - no doubt about it. Within the same year I had the opportunity to visit with all of the above members, with the exception of Boo, who invited me to go fishing with him in Colorado. I went to New Jersey and Philadelphia to see all of them perform, look at their sound systems, and learned a lot more about improving myself as an entertainer. It was a wonderful experience that was repeated on several occasions.

A few years later I traveled to the sunny south, drove more than 5,000 miles, and met up with Joe Waters from PSR-Tutorial and his beautiful wife. From their home in Virginia, my wife and I traveled to North Carolina to meet up with The Pro, (Jim), then to northern Florida, where we watched several other OMB performers ply their trade.

South Florida is where Eddie (btweengigs) entertains at various animal clubs and does an outstanding job at keeping the dance-floor packed to capacity. We keep in touch on the telephone and internet every week. The southwest coast of Florida is where Charlie Ohram applies his magic to creating and modifying style files that he shares with the entire world. Charlie also has a huge collection of vintage organs and arranger keyboards that in some cases he completely restored.

I traveled northwest and met up with Scott Langholff and his wife, had an enjoyable dinner at a nearby restaurant, and talked about entertainment opportunities on the Florida Panhandle. We also met up with Diki and Randy (saxman), had a few margarettas, and had lots of laughs that evening.

The next stop was Bossier City, LA, where I witnessed a true master performing - Don Mason. Like most of the audience at Ernest's Restaurant that night, we were enjoying the wonderful music and songs Don performed, most of which was country, but there were other song styles as well. His wife Susan joined us a bit later on and we feasted on some traditional southern cuisine. I learned a lot from Don, and still keep learning from him. He IS the master of arranger keyboards.

I also got to meet HankB (Lurker), a great entertainer in his own wright, and we talked almost daily for years after I returned home. I also met a number of other wonderful musicians and entertainers including Bill Pittman (semilivemusic), Deane (hammer), and some of the regions best guitar players.

On the way home we stopped in Mississippi, met with Bill Gross and his wife, and Bill is a fantastic technician and keyboard player that knows Yamaha's operating systems inside and out. I learned a lot from Bill, and he says he learned a lot from me.

A few weeks after returning home we had a wonderful visit from TonyM and his beautiful wife Lydia. I fired up the gas grill, burned some fillet mignon, they got to meet my daughter and grandson and we had a fantastic evening. Later that month, TomG and his lovely wife came to town, they went with me to a nursing home job, I applied my culinary skills on the grill again, and after dinner they headed off for another visit in New Jersey.

Over the years I've talked several times with Scott Yee and Bill from Dayton on the telephone, and a couple of times Captain Russ has called. I've learned a lot from both of them.

This forum has always been one that I considered as informational and educational when it comes to arranger keyboards, sound systems, mics, and a host of other equipment utilized by both home and pro players. It's a place where a person can come and learn the ins and outs of arranger keyboards from individuals who play for a living, as well as those who just play for their own, personal enjoyment.

Now, there are some folks here that are highly skilled and trained musicians. Some attended world renown musical institutions, some spent years learning every aspect of music on their own, and these individuals can play every chord known to mankind. In the world of music, at least from my perspective, these are indeed rare individuals, especially when they have the ability and knowledge to utilize this knowledge to make a living. For this, they should be applauded.

Then, there are others here, a much larger category, of which I and many others fit into - entertainers. We're not great musicians, we can play a couple dozen chords, our right hand abilities vary, and a significant number of us cannot read a note. However, when we step up to the keyboard, we immediately gain the attention and adoration of our audiences, we get their toes tapping, they sing along with us, they pack the dance-floors. We get accolades from everyone, including other musicians who happen to be in the audiences, some come up ask about the equipment and rave about the music we produce with these wonderful tools. In more than 50 years of playing guitar and arranger keyboard, no one, not even some of the best musicians in the audiences, has ever come up to me and said "Hey, you missed those passing chords on the bridge of Unchained Melody and the song really sounded lousy because of it." (Forgot about the one time Bill From Dayton said something about playing a song in a chord that it was not originally written. That was several years ago.)

As an entertainer, I guess I've been somewhat successful. When I have a day off, which is rare, if the weather cooperates, I go sailing on the waters of Chesapeake Bay. I get to take my grandson hiking, fishing, boating, and spend some time shooting wildlife photos. When the weather's really nasty, such as today, 101-degres, 100-percent humidity, I'll spend time learning a new song, one that I like but have never performed. I'll usually record the song, listen to myself, then spend time refining the song until I feel it can be used on stage.

I'll check in on the Synthzone, PSR-Tutorial, Sailnet, look at some of the posts, then go to work on something. This has been a daily routine for a decade and it probably won't change anytime soon. Tonight, I'll be performing at an upscale retirement community for about 120 people, I'll probably miss lots of passing chords, I'll have a ball, my audiences will have a ball, the dance-floor will be filled and with luck I'll have a Conga-Line snaking through the room and out into the corridors while playing and singing Hot Hot Hot.

I'm not really sure if this addresses the OP, but in some respects I get the feeling it was directed at me, and others, that have recently posted excerpts from musical performances. I sincerely hope not, but it sure seems that way to me. If that was the case, I'm glad you took time to watch the videos, and hope those that did watch them learned something from intent of the post, which was to show how a $29 video camera can be a beneficial tool at improving performances.

Gotta' go to work,

Gary cool

Hells Gary when did you come for air!! rotf2

#345937 - 06/21/12 10:35 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

I guess that comment is supposed to be dry, satirical, British humor, Tony. rolleyes

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/21/12 10:36 AM)

#345939 - 06/21/12 11:33 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Tony Hughes]
brickboo Offline

Gary, I am shocked. You must have posted a song that was really screwed up that I've never even heard for you to think that I was picking on you. You must be talking about someone else's comment Eh?

In my opinion:
1. Songs you posted that I listened to seem to be songs that you knew. Not songs you were experiment with.

2. I wouldn't pick on you personally if you posted "I Can't Get Started" and used just 2 chords.

3. After all of the help you've given me over the last 10 or so years, I would feel like I was "biting the hand that feeds me" friend.

#345940 - 06/21/12 11:44 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: DonM]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
No time to defend myself Boo. I'm working every night and playing golf or fishing every day, just as a musician should!
I think I played a flatted 12th note tonight, but not certain. It was what is known as an accidental. Sure hope somebody noticed it.
DonM

Come to think of it Don I think I played a few a few 12th flattened on the Old Ketron Audya and then it lock up, wonder if that was the real problem, hells I am sorry I got rid of it now, now I will never know what the real problem was.. rotf2

#345941 - 06/21/12 11:48 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Tony Hughes]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi All,

If this forum is about the edification of us who are members can some one make a short video playing lots of flattened 12th and good contender would be "hammer", get it flattened 12th hammer....no ho well tried my best, I don't know what one sounds like, what does that make me, tone deaf or braindead, both headphone

Tony

#345942 - 06/21/12 11:54 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

I guess that comment is supposed to be dry, satirical, British humor, Tony. rolleyes

Gary cool

Twas that in full young Gary, well spotted, got to be a record, or did Diki ever do one longer, perhaps he did, I would have never ask Diki if he'd come up for air, the reply would have been much longer.

Tony

#345943 - 06/21/12 12:18 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Boo,

No, it was nothing you posted. We've been good friends for more than a decade, and I suspect it will be the same for many years to come.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online