SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#345612 - 06/12/12 12:35 PM You LIKE me...now what?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think I have lots of friends here...some like me better than others.

What if I posted music that just didn't get the job done...BAD
work that just showed marginal talent/ability?

What would be the proper response from someone who liked me but hated the music I posted? Say I missed a really important passing chord. Or, I couldn't carry a tune in a large bucket.

What would the proper response be?

Russ

#345617 - 06/12/12 02:10 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'd be on you like a buzzard on a truck full of guts.
But I probably wouldn't be able to tell if you missed a chord.
DonM

#345619 - 06/12/12 02:32 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I think I have lots of friends here...some like me better than others.

What if I posted music that just didn't get the job done...BAD
work that just showed marginal talent/ability?

What would be the proper response from someone who liked me but hated the music I posted? Say I missed a really important passing chord. Or, I couldn't carry a tune in a large bucket.

What would the proper response be?

Russ

Russ not sure how to respond to your question? But I don't post music here to save myself and members the embarassment of having to post a comment that they may not want to.

Once upon a time I sent music to a member here that I corresponded with. He about tore me a new arsehole and told me I should work for free. We both lost our friendship that day. I know I'm not good, but I know I don't have to play for the bubble unless I chose to work a venue that's for tips only. I did that about 5 years ago when I was trying to get some exposure. Hey even though it was only for tips I could squeeze out $50 to $75 for 3 hours of playing at a waterfront cafe during the brunch hours.

#345620 - 06/12/12 02:42 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Interesting subject, Russ ... I personally would welcome 'constructive' criticism, and at 71 yrs. I think I've developed a thick enough skin to accept what people say ...
But if someone doesn't want to make a 'negative' comment publicly, they do have the forum option of leaving a 'personal message' ...
If people are willing to post a song, they should be willing to take some criticism ... BUT, even criticism can be levied in a NICE way ... darthvader

PS ... Steve ... FYI ... apparently I was writing this as you were posting your response ...

Edited by tony mads usa (06/12/12 02:45 PM)

#345621 - 06/12/12 03:01 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Interesting subject

PS ... Steve ... FYI ... apparently I was writing this as you were posting your response ...

Tony I have to acknowledge you about the Java Madness Cafe gig. You and Lydia were in the audience a number of times and were always good for a generous tip. Too bad I couldn't have gotten you there for every gig. bow

#345622 - 06/12/12 03:08 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I always try to acknowledge 'live' musicians with a tip ... especially if they play well ... wink

#345623 - 06/12/12 03:10 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I always try to acknowledge 'live' musicians with a tip ... especially if they play well ... wink

Thanks bud! smile

#345625 - 06/12/12 03:59 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ,

Like Don, I would be on your a$$ like a blood-suckin' tick! wink Of course, like most folks, I would be very hard pressed to determine if you actually missed a passing chord. blush

As for the singing, some folks can, and some cannot. For those that cannot, I encourage them to take vocal lessons, which can be extremely helpful for a large number of individuals with marginal singing abilities. Many of those that have taken my advice and enrolled in community college vocal courses have really blossomed into wonderful singers. I guess what I'm trying to say is I would use diplomacy.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#345629 - 06/12/12 05:56 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Russ, I personally would welcome constructive from anybody on this forum. That’s why I have posted my music here. Sure it’s nice to get positive comments and but how can anyone grow if they are always told “great job”. Now, yes there are times when I have heard friends’ music that I don’t like at all. What do I do? If it’s a style of music that I don’t like, I don’t feel I can give much feedback either positive or negative. Now if an area I have some knowledge in, and I feel I have some advice that could be helpful, I’d probably give it. If I didn’t know the person well, or felt they didn’t want my advice, then I wouldn’t have much say. The truth is I admire anyone who makes a sincere effort at music. I know it takes a lot of effort to record and upload your music. I also know what it’s like to crash and burn on stage and have the balls to come back up to try again. We’re musicians and we’re all in this together.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#345630 - 06/12/12 05:58 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I guess what I'm trying to say is I would use diplomacy.

Gary cool

What Gary said smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online