SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#345870 - 06/19/12 09:22 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
One more comment to 124. Do yourself a big big favor if you're serious about learning, and buy the "Real Fake Book" the "jazz version. Google for it. Start with the simple tunes and as you progress work with the more complicated songs.

Purchase the plain simple version of BIAB. Type the chords in and play along after you get a bit familiar with a few songs in the fake book.

It would take Russ 150 years to teach you on this forum what you will learn in a month with the fake book if you know how a chord is structured. If you don't know how to build a chord, you’ll need to learn to play the scale and go up a second octave and find the 9th note the 11th note the 13th note so on and so forth. Then you’ll understand how a chord is structured and it will be easier to figure out the b9, #9, b5, #5 etc.

For example, for C9 play C, E, G and D. . . for C79 add the Bb for the dominate 7th or B natural for a CM7,9. Incidentally usually when you see C9 most of the time it will call for the dominant or the flatted 7th if that’s what you want to call it.

Forget about inversions, rootless chords etc. until you learn how to form a straight up chord. You can learn the inversions, rootless and such after you began to understand chord structure. You have to learn how to form the chords first. You can’t run until you learn to walk right?

I don't know any other simpler way to explain this. I taught a friend this theory almost 40 years ago in 8 hours in one day. The next day he is not a pianist, but he’s singing and playing the chords to “I Left My Heart In SF.” He figured it out on his own just after he understood basic chord structure. He wasn't a rocket scientist and only had a little knowledge playing a trumpet and he didn't do that very well.

I always claimed that if you can count to 13 and you’re really interested, I can teach you this at a piano in a very short time.

In western style music, ( I’m not talking country music), there are only 13 notes. So, in reality then you just start talking another octave. This is really pretty simple if you figure it out mathematically.

This system will not work if you want to be a concert pianist. If that’s the case forget what I said here and hire a great concert pianist to teach you. Warning if you do the concert pianist thing, hire a teacher and learn to read music, there’s a more than 90% chance you won’t be able to jam. Usually at a jam session there isn’t any sheet music available.

If you can't count to 13 then you're hopeless. Ha ha! (Pun intended.) I hadn't met any one lately who couldn't count to 13.

If anyone wants to, please email me. I don’t know everything neither does anyone else. I’m willing to share what I am able to share. Thanks for putting up with me again.

#345872 - 06/20/12 12:21 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
My two cents (for what it's worth) . . .

When I first joined Synthzone over 12 years ago, I too had hoped the discussions included more about music theory (scales, chords, chord progressions, chord substitutions, chord extensions, on bass/pedal, arranger orchestration, etc), as well as arranger keyboard specific "playing" technique. When I initially brought up rootless jazz chord voicings, I was poo-poo'ed and even accused by a few members of coming off like an elitist snob, so gave up any idea of this place being anything else other than an informative, and often combative 'gear debate' forum. I suspect the reason could be the membership's extreme variance of music background, experience, and education. I also discovered early on that being a 'Pro' musician here doesn't necessarily reflect one's musicianship skill level.

I for one want to continually improve as a musician, so it will be interesting to find out how many others here are really seriously interested in becoming better arranger keyboard players, or simply content maintaining the status quo, whatever level it may currently be (from beginner to advanced).

Scott,

I may have to admit I ain't going to get much better than I am now on account of my brain being overloaded, in short I am learnt up. I might even be slipping backwards down the hill, and over it. violin

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#345874 - 06/20/12 05:11 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
OK, Let’s start here:
Use Roman numbers for the step of the scales so that when we refer to Roman # I we will be referring to the first step of a scale. Use the same method for all scales.

EX. Key of C Major
C=I D=II E=III F=IV G=V A=VI B=VII
Key of F major
F=I G=II A=III B=IV C=V D=VI E=VII

I can now state that the most used progression is
V to I G to C in the key of C. C to F in the key of F.

Look through your lead sheets for V to I progressions. The V7 chord is normally used instead of a V chord. In the key of C Major it would be G7 to C instead of G to C. The seventh gives a strong feeling of movement.

Like I said in my post, just one thought, and then slowly build on it. This will give people a chance to absorb and research.

John C.

#345880 - 06/20/12 07:22 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: bruno123]
brickboo Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
OK, Let’s start here:
Use Roman numbers for the step of the scales so that when we refer to Roman # I we will be referring to the first step of a scale. Use the same method for all scales.

EX. Key of C Major
C=I D=II E=III F=IV G=V A=VI B=VII
Key of F major
F=I G=II A=III B=IV C=V D=VI E=VII

I can now state that the most used progression is
V to I G to C in the key of C. C to F in the key of F.

Look through your lead sheets for V to I progressions. The V7 chord is normally used instead of a V chord. In the key of C Major it would be G7 to C instead of G to C. The seventh gives a strong feeling of movement.

Like I said in my post, just one thought, and then slowly build on it. This will give people a chance to absorb and research.

John C.

Bruno the F example needs the B changed to a Bb. The B natural is actually the flatted 5th or if you wish the raised 4th of the F scale. But I'm sure that you know this. However, there might be even just one person here that does not know this and we don't want to confuse them.

I think after all of the post on this subject the topic is going to remain "how does your keyboard sound", "how many different sounds does it have," my keyboard has 50 billion styles." Don't hold your breath waiting to hear this type question "am I playing the right chord or is there a better chord substitution at the 6th bar in the bridge?

Like Scott said "Everyone seems to be content with the status quo." I can live with that. To each his own. Please just post songs that you know the correct chords to and quit messing other people up on this forum who may be trying to learn something. OK? Thank you and have a nice day everyone?

#345883 - 06/20/12 08:10 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Let's face it...for most OMB players, a discussion of chord substitutions is going to be of marginal interest. After all, as Chas reminds us, we're talking arrangers here...and the limitations thereof. I do remember the valiant effort Scotty made with his early support of rootless chords on arrangers and the corresponding lack of interest or even understanding of the subject.

I think what would be useful is a response to posts suggesting appropriate chord substitutions/improvements. That way, the contributor would hear options suggested for the purpose of making the performance better.

This, of course, is not going to work with the submissions I was referencing at the start of this thread...just plain bad work.

I guess my answer to my own question is just don't say anything about the really bad posts. For others, something like,"Good effort. Have you tried ......(a description of a possible fix/improvement)"?

I think I'm done here, folks. Thanks for the well thought out responses to what could have been a pretty volatile thread.

You folks are GREAT!

R.

#345885 - 06/20/12 08:59 AM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]
captain Russ Offline

John, Boo... good work! Be a pleasure to meet up sometime.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (06/20/12 09:04 AM)

#345891 - 06/20/12 12:53 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: brickboo]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
One more comment to 124. Do yourself a big big favor if you're serious about learning, and buy the "Real Fake Book" the "jazz version. Google for it. Start with the simple tunes and as you progress work with the more complicated songs.

Purchase the plain simple version of BIAB. Type the chords in and play along after you get a bit familiar with a few songs in the fake book.

It would take Russ 150 years to teach you on this forum what you will learn in a month with the fake book if you know how a chord is structured. If you don't know how to build a chord, you&#146;ll need to learn to play the scale and go up a second octave and find the 9th note the 11th note the 13th note so on and so forth. Then you&#146;ll understand how a chord is structured and it will be easier to figure out the b9, #9, b5, #5 etc.

For example, for C9 play C, E, G and D. . . for C79 add the Bb for the dominate 7th or B natural for a CM7,9. Incidentally usually when you see C9 most of the time it will call for the dominant or the flatted 7th if that&#146;s what you want to call it.

Forget about inversions, rootless chords etc. until you learn how to form a straight up chord. You can learn the inversions, rootless and such after you began to understand chord structure. You have to learn how to form the chords first. You can&#146;t run until you learn to walk right?

I don't know any other simpler way to explain this. I taught a friend this theory almost 40 years ago in 8 hours in one day. The next day he is not a pianist, but he&#146;s singing and playing the chords to &#147;I Left My Heart In SF.&#148; He figured it out on his own just after he understood basic chord structure. He wasn't a rocket scientist and only had a little knowledge playing a trumpet and he didn't do that very well.

I always claimed that if you can count to 13 and you&#146;re really interested, I can teach you this at a piano in a very short time.

In western style music, ( I&#146;m not talking country music), there are only 13 notes. So, in reality then you just start talking another octave. This is really pretty simple if you figure it out mathematically.

This system will not work if you want to be a concert pianist. If that&#146;s the case forget what I said here and hire a great concert pianist to teach you. Warning if you do the concert pianist thing, hire a teacher and learn to read music, there&#146;s a more than 90% chance you won&#146;t be able to jam. Usually at a jam session there isn&#146;t any sheet music available.

If you can't count to 13 then you're hopeless. Ha ha! (Pun intended.) I hadn't met any one lately who couldn't count to 13.

If anyone wants to, please email me. I don&#146;t know everything neither does anyone else. I&#146;m willing to share what I am able to share. Thanks for putting up with me again.

Boo, thank you for taking the time to type all that information. It will be helpful to many.

It's often difficult in a words-only format, such as a web forum, to put across what's relevant and what's not. There's no way you could have known from my previous post of where I'm at musically. So, just for the record, I'm familiar with 7th's, 9th's, 11th's, 13th's, etc., flattened and so on, augs, dims, inversions of same, slash chords, even on some (certainly not as many as I'd like) jazz standards, which is an area I'd like to expand.

The greater challenge for me, I think, is not so much how those chords are constructed, I seem to manage them quite well, but on where to use them. I think I may be talking substitutions here, and I'm particularly interested in 'passing' chords. This may all be a matter of trial and error for me?

As for following charts, fakebook or otherwise, it seems to me that a reasonable knowledge of music is still required. I'm a totally self-taught player, for better or worse.

On some sheet music I've seen chord symbols printed that sound so wrong when played. Hmmm.

Thanks again, Boo, for your reply. As Curtis Mayfield said, I goota Keep on Truckin'.

#345899 - 06/20/12 02:22 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: 124]
brickboo Offline

124, I just put the info for building chord structure for ones who may not know the basics.

You know there were many mistakes in the old fake books that we had to buy on the black market years ago. Not so, with the new legal ones printed today. There may be a mistake here or there but nothing like the old books

You'd be surprised how much you will progress if you work with one. As you start to use the more complex tunes, you’ll get exactly what many musicians are looking for. That's a feel for and a knowledge of how everything comes together. You'll see how one tune relates to another tune with similar chord structure.

For example: One day you may be working on a tune in the key of C and figure out that where there is an E7 chord coming up you may want to try a Bm7 or a Bm7b5 right before the E7 chord. Why? Because a month back you actually ran across this E7 chord in another tune where the Bm7 or Bm7b5 was written into the chord structure just before the E7 in the same key of C.. This happens all over the place in all the different keys. The Bm7 or Bm7b5 in this instance would be the "Passing chord. The E7 is the primary chord.

"Maybe the person who wrote this song that you're working on now, really didn't understand chord structure and was just copying the chords from a another song that he was familiar with that some "country song writer wrote. Ha ha! (This will get DonM commenting again. Incidentally, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to copy DonM's attitude. Man he has thick skin. I think that's why he is more popular here than the rest of us!!))

I hope that I’m explaining all of this right. I know when my high school teacher sat down and showed me at the piano for maybe 10 minutes this number system for figuring out how to build a chord, it was like someone opened a huge barn door in my head. And guess what? I’m not a pimple on a rocket scientist’s A$$.

Man I hope one serious minded learning musician on this forum gets something out of all of this posting. I'd consider the time that we spent well worth it and a success.

#345903 - 06/20/12 03:20 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Offline

Good conclusion to a subject really important to some of us.

Well said, with concern about the tone of the discussion.

Class act, all the way!

R.

#345904 - 06/20/12 04:01 PM Re: You LIKE me...now what? [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417

brickboo
The B natural is actually the flatted 5th or if you wish the raised 4th of the F scale

Please, please, please I stand corrected, Brickboo is right, the B note is incorrect. This is not about me defending error; it is about learning a solid correct foundation.
“Bb” is the 4th note of the F scale not “B”. But it cannot be referred to as a flatbed 5th. Although B and Cb are the same notes it will cause confusion in the future if they are not called by the Scale Step names. As we go on you will see this as a good learning step.

Next thought:
Since V7 to I is the most used progression in music let’s start here.
In the key of C major: V7 to I --- G7 to C. Instead of playing the V7 chord G7 for 4 or 8 beats IIm7 V7 I instead. (Dm7 G7) two beats each. This keeps movement in the harmony and bass line making it more interesting.
IMPORTANT; Your ear supplies the finale judgment on any of these ideas.

John C.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online