SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#343806 - 04/18/12 04:49 PM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: George Kaye]
Oscar1 Offline

That is a good info George, I had BK-5 for a while but couldn't make this work (no wizard like on 7m) and at that time couldn't get any info how to make it work neither.

But regardless if it worked or not it is not a premium or "main" keyboard from the mechanical point so its size created problem where to put it in the studio nicely so I can still access its buttons and it doesn't take much of my primary space.
So I very quickly realized that yes, actually the module make far more sense. I mounted it on a speaker stand and can place it anywhere.

It is funny, as a kbd I felt it as a cheap board and was very unhappy, the same thing in module form - and wow it has suddenly so many uses, sound module for kbd, "sonic cell" for PC, midi player and also an arranger module...
It is really comic, because in fact it is the same thing in different box.
I wish all of the keyboards I like are available in such form so I don't have to plan where to put it.

#343833 - 04/19/12 03:12 PM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: mdorantes]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I played a BK-5 today. Personally, I like the module better, but it is still a nice little keyboard, especially for the price.
DonM

#343836 - 04/19/12 05:45 PM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
I played a BK-5 today. Personally, I like the module better, but it is still a nice little keyboard, especially for the price.
DonM

Still curious, please tell us why you like the module better? And where did you find one? When time permits I may have to just buy one of these to try from somewhere that offers a 30 day return policy and eat the shipping if I don't like it.
Thanks in advance

Bill in NJ

#343842 - 04/19/12 10:20 PM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: mdorantes]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Our local music store got one in today and I happened to be there.
I had to show them how to work it!
I like the ability to address the module with an external keyboard controller. There are many things you can do that way that you can't do, or that are harder to do, on the BK5.
For example, I have direct control (one-button) for all intros, endings and break/fill. On the BK5 you have to push two buttons to select the ending or intro you want, and there is no button for the break.
I can also address sounds, variations, performances, fills, OTS, and countless other features all with single assigned buttons.
Between 50 programmable buttons or sliders, the 5-button foot switch, sustain pedal on the controller and assignable pedals on the module, I have more than enough controls.
Also, there didn't seem to be as many styles on the keyboard, but that could be a misconception.
The keys felt really flimsy after playing the Korg PA3X, and they are really short too.
Speakers sounded o.k., but certainly not loud enough for anything outside the home.
The Sound Bank buttons double as OTS buttons. Not sure I like that either, but didn't play it long enough to form much of an opinion.
I only played with it for maybe 15 minutes, so not certain my opinion is worth that much.
DonM

#343847 - 04/20/12 06:46 AM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Our local music store got one in today and I happened to be there.
I had to show them how to work it!
I like the ability to address the module with an external keyboard controller. There are many things you can do that way that you can't do, or that are harder to do, on the BK5.
For example, I have direct control (one-button) for all intros, endings and break/fill. On the BK5 you have to push two buttons to select the ending or intro you want, and there is no button for the break.
I can also address sounds, variations, performances, fills, OTS, and countless other features all with single assigned buttons.
Between 50 programmable buttons or sliders, the 5-button foot switch, sustain pedal on the controller and assignable pedals on the module, I have more than enough controls.
Also, there didn't seem to be as many styles on the keyboard, but that could be a misconception.
The keys felt really flimsy after playing the Korg PA3X, and they are really short too.
Speakers sounded o.k., but certainly not loud enough for anything outside the home.
The Sound Bank buttons double as OTS buttons. Not sure I like that either, but didn't play it long enough to form much of an opinion.
I only played with it for maybe 15 minutes, so not certain my opinion is worth that much.
DonM

Exactly Don many reasons you mentions are why I didn't go the Bk5 route also....or teh Bk7 module either....thanx for the info.

#343864 - 04/20/12 10:35 AM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Don

Thanks for the update. I'd like to have it simple and "all in one" but the cheesy keyboard thats been mentioned a few times is not what I want. Using a dedicated controller sounds great except for all the programming you need to do but I guess it does give you the maximum flexibility. It seems more and more from what's going on in my area I may have to break down and start going the MP3 backing track route too so thats another consideration

Thanks again for the informative post

Bill in NJ

#343911 - 04/22/12 05:35 AM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: mdorantes]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I have bought the BK5
Styles are good but most right hand sounds are cheap.

BK5 is cheaper than BK7 and have a keyboard, so for me it's better.
You can play missing BK7-m styles on the BK-5.

I can almost play BK5 styles with vArranger and Ketron SD2. Some styles are very well played by pro musicians !

Roland styles are well balanced and efficient. Less drums in face than Ketron styles, and less smooth studio-like as Yamaha styles.

For the price it is a good KB ! you can load any Roland styles from USB thumbs, and you can create you own style.

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#343917 - 04/22/12 09:25 AM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: DAN.2000]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I bought bk5 for styles.And they are really good.I play mostly rock,pop,modern music styles and they are great.And I come from playing Pa800 .
The bottom line is styles are as good as higher end Korg or Yamaha.And all for $999.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#344033 - 04/24/12 05:29 PM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: mirza]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I haven't been able to look at a BK-5 yet, but for those thinking about a BK-7m instead, because of the flimsy keys issue, perhaps, if you already have a good feeling controller keyboard, you might STILL be better off with the BK-5, and have a two manual system (BK-5 is supposed to be very light weight) with the controller being the main controller, and the BK-5 being the 'extra' manual?

Some sounds are actually BETTER to play on quite lightweight keys (organs, woodwinds, solo synths etc), while others (pianos in particular) benefit from full or semi-full weight keybeds.

Perhaps a full 88 wood, or 76/73 full or semi-full weight controller and the BK-5 as the secondary keyboard would be a VERY flexible system..?

#344046 - 04/25/12 06:10 AM Re: I want to buy a Roland, BK5 or BK7M? Pros and Cons [Re: mdorantes]
Bill Lewis Offline

Diki

Been toying with the idea of a Casio PX3 piano/controller and a BK7m. The problem would be running all the cables and setting up two modules. Midi splitter for my Harmony M and BK7m, the dreaded 9V adaptors, 1/4" cables and then how to set it up and be compact. Especially for those 1 hr. in/out gigs. The idea of bringing in a light keyboard and eliminating some wires is nice but feeling like I'm playing a toy just ruins it.

Bill in NJ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online