SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#343494 - 04/11/12 01:04 PM Russ, DO NOT WATCH THIS! ;)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

Sure brings back some fond, old memories. smile smile smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#343497 - 04/11/12 01:29 PM Re: Russ, DO NOT WATCH THIS! ;) [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Believe it or not, Gary, I am a major fan of some of these guys and admire them all:

*Duane Eddy; I learned every note of his early hits, only to learn that he had done some of the biggest ones on a Dan Electro bass/baratone. He's the reason I started to play Guild guitars.

* Vince? Gentleman all the way, and I couldn't hold his case, regardless of the style of music. Plus, Amy's a HOT little church girl (HEE HEE)!

* Chet? The meaning of class, who mentored many in the business...developed his own style of "Travis"-like finger picking (ain't easy to do, folks-believe me) and was a primary figure at RCA for decades. Regardless of what you play, Chet was a guitar God! I wore out many of his records learning from him.

* Leon Russell? Mentioned in the posting of the LA Wrecking Crew guys last week (posted by Semilive). Not only a superb, almost historic session and touring guy (plays guitar better than me-was on Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour) but the writer of some of my all-time favorite songs (Masquerade, Lady Blue, Song For You and a whole lot more). Had the pleasure of subbing for one of his guys in Lexington 10 years or so ago.

* Steve Warner? One of Chet's "Certified Guitar Pickers".
Quiet, unassuming powerhouse/Grammy Winner. When Chet was very ill, he relied on Steve to run things at RCA. He came to the Merrick Inn for years. The owner kept saying, "Steve really likes the nylon string solos". I noticed the guy looking at me and said, "Are You Steve?". He said "Yes". I said "Steve who"? (Dumb-assed me). I'm very proud to know him.

Earl and his kid came to Lexington to visit J.D. Crowe, my very good friend and heir apparent to the Scruggs legacy.
Think the 4 of us went to get a Kentucky hot brown together.

Excellence is excellence, and these guys are "world-class". Add Don Was, who has made a world-wide name for himself as a producer (plays pretty good "skins", too).

I've watched and admired this video many times...top of the line guys having fun playing with the group. Brings a big smile to my old cynical face...every time!

Not my cup of tea, musically, but I would be honored to be associated and play with any of them. Actually, I've worked either live or on recordings with 4 of them (guess which 4?).

Thanks,

Russ (Bubba) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (04/11/12 01:41 PM)

#343500 - 04/11/12 02:29 PM Re: Russ, DO NOT WATCH THIS! ;) [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I knew you would love it--just havin' fun with you. I admired every one of them for as long as I could remember, their talents are beyond description and I've watched this video dozens of times-- and each time it brings a tear to my aging eyes.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online