SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#339719 - 02/14/12 12:32 AM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
My ex wife died from drugs at 32 years old ....standing at the coffin with my 12 yr old son was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life....

My deepest sympathies, Donny, to you and your son...we have all lost loved ones through tragedy connected with addiction...my adopted parents were killed on Christmas Eve in a car accident when I was just a wee lad...hit by a drunk driver (a confirmed alcoholic)...he never got a scratch on him.

Ian

#339720 - 02/14/12 12:33 AM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: lahawk
Was it really necessary to post:
Quote:
Whitney Houston is dead and I really don't care

Because she may have died from a drug problem?

I'm stunned that anyone who agreed with this comment needed to do so in writing.

Maybe it's just my liberal bleeding heart, but perhaps a little caring may have saved her and a little caring may save others from the same fate.

Well said, Larry...I am in complete agreement.

Ian

#339829 - 02/14/12 04:51 PM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
You want me to feel sorry for this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytJpZguSy2U
NAH! NEVER! She thought she is tough...Crack was too WEAK for her.

#339840 - 02/14/12 09:50 PM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Nedim]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The person I really feel sorry for is her mother Cissy Houston. She is one of my all time favorite singers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIWFv094VR0&feature=related

And out of respect for her I wouldn't have posted a thread like this because I know how much it would upset her. Think about how you would feel if it was about one of your children that died regardless of their lifestyle choices. And by now it would have been indexed by Google and will be found in searches.

#339899 - 02/15/12 10:23 AM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Nigel]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: Nigel
The person I really feel sorry for is her mother Cissy Houston. She is one of my all time favorite singers.

How especially poignant to hear these Cissy Houston songs now today. It's clear where Whitney got her beautiful voice from:

#339936 - 02/15/12 09:32 PM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
How especially poignant to hear these Cissy Houston songs now today. It's clear where Whitney got her beautiful voice

Exactly Scott. And it is so so sad hearing her sing "Yesterday" considering what has happened. The lyrics she is singing must be just how she feels now Whitney has died.

#339943 - 02/15/12 10:39 PM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Nigel]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Cissy also sings on this track "Creepin" from Herbie Mann "Surprises" which is a gem of an album that really never got the attention it deserved. Every track on this album is magic. That is something in this digital age of just grabbing the odd track from an album that people miss out on. When I bought an album I would listen to it over and over in its entirety. After a number of listens tracks that didn't stand out at first ended up becoming my favorites over time. That is an experience that people don't have now.

#339972 - 02/16/12 08:29 AM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're right, Nigel...that is s gem. no pitch controllers, no digital recording equipment...manual mixing...these recordings were carefully crafted pieces of art.

I miss those days, and really appreciate Cissy's quiet graciousness and tremendous talent.

I wish the best for her in these rough days.

Russ

#340600 - 02/23/12 04:15 AM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Whitney Houston was a major vocal talent in her day. I was never a big fan but I must say her rendition the National Anthem was very, very well done mostly to a LACK of vocal emmbelleshments. (sp?) So many singers in that genre go way overboard for my taste.

Re: the drug comments.

This is to the group, but mostly to Fran.

Our daughter was kidnapped when she was 8 years old and held in a farmhouse in SW Pennsylvania for five weeks until we got her back. Years of therapy, counseling, support, etc. couldn't return her to the happy, well adjusted little girl she was prior to her abduction. Since then its been a steady stream of drugs, crime, promiscuity, multiple suicide attempts, etc. It has been hell...

More than one mental health professional has counseled my wife and I to prepare for her death at some point. Her odds of surviving were miniscuel at best we were told.

However, about 2 years ago she started to clean up. She's off the heroin and has been in a rehab program for the last 18 months. She drives an hour both ways 7 days a week to get her medicine that satisfies her cravings. She's married, she has a beautiful little boy and a little girl is due in July. She and her husband live are living with us for now to help them transition into a place of their own come next Fall. From everything we've seen, she's a good mom. Determined to move forward, not backwards for the sake of herself and her family.

Not too bad for a kid we were told over and over again would be dead by now.

If you're me, how exactly do you consider this human a "loser" for her involvement with drugs?

I can't think of anything in my entire life that begins to compare to the struggles she's overcoming. I just can't.

You and me aren't kids anymore. We've been around the block, eh?

You should know better, my friend.

Edited by Bill in Dayton (02/23/12 04:19 AM)

#340605 - 02/23/12 05:36 AM Re: I must be the only jerk here [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, I am sorry to hear your story...but I believe and stand by my quote..."drugs are for losers"...to make the choice of using drugs, and the after math, proves my point...

Just use your daughter as an example..she became the winner , without drugs...not with the drugs...

I wish her nothing but success, but I have seen so many that did not, and brought so much sadness to their families...by their own choice to use drugs....Surely you must see my point..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online