SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#339210 - 02/09/12 03:23 PM Hard disk or software
zuki Offline

I want to start recording soon. I plan to just dump finished kybd stereo tracks and then some vocals. My goal is to balance everything on the 2x. Question: are software packages overkill (Presonus 2x2, etc) and are the cheaper (Tascam DP-004 for example) good enough? Just some thoughts please would be appreciated.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#339211 - 02/09/12 04:28 PM Re: Hard disk or software [Re: zuki]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Z:

Alot depends on your recording objectives. I use a digital recorder (Boss BR-864) for live PSR-2000 recordings and my mic is also connected to the Boss unit. I don't do "tracks" 'cause it simply takes way too much time IMHO. Instead, I record as many "takes" as I believe are needed to "nail the song." The process does not end here, though.

After I get a satisfactory "cut"... I send the resultant file in WAV format to my PC where I edit the song for volume and anomolies. Before I even start recording, I tweak the style's instruments/voices by selecting the appropriate drums, piano, orchestral backing, etc. and then balance the individual volumes to the best of my ability.

My purpose is to create my own demos for use in "pitching" the song to publishers, producers or artists looking for outside material. (In other words, I do my best to stay within a very restrictive budget.)

If money were no object, I'd pay a studio and really talented vocalist to do the job for me. I consider myself a songwriter first and foremost... not an artist. Without an arranger, I'd be dead in the water.

Best of luck,

Dave Rice

http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

#339218 - 02/09/12 06:08 PM Re: Hard disk or software [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Zulu mixcraft 5. //www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

Edited by Dnj (02/09/12 06:13 PM)

#339219 - 02/09/12 06:17 PM Re: Hard disk or software [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

Over the years I've used nearly all the software packages, and all of them have worked very well--even the freebees. I now have a Zoom H2 and for one shot recordings, it can't be beat. There are lots of folks out there using the Zoom recorders and most of the folks that had negative comments were those that never opened the instruction manuals to learn how to use them. (Lots of people using keyboard that never took the manual out of the plastic wrap, too.);)

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#339222 - 02/09/12 06:27 PM Re: Hard disk or software [Re: zuki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: zuki
I want to start recording soon. I plan to just dump finished kybd stereo tracks and then some vocals. My goal is to balance everything on the 2x. Question: are software packages overkill (Presonus 2x2, etc) and are the cheaper (Tascam DP-004 for example) good enough? Just some thoughts please would be appreciated.

Jim , there are quick recorders like the Zoom, I have a Tascam DR07..that is ideal for quick stereo recordings...but if you are serious about your recordings..the best value is MixCraft5..software...

#339255 - 02/10/12 05:31 AM Re: Hard disk or software [Re: zuki]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'd be tempted to do both (easy to say that when it isn't my money!)

Get a decent stand alone recorder and use that for the recording but transfer to computer for fine tuning.

Flash memory based recorders are completely silent; if you use any powerful PC there's always the possibility that the fan will fire up at an embarassing moment.

#339273 - 02/10/12 06:42 AM Re: Hard disk or software [Re: MacAllcock]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: MacAllcock
I'd be tempted to do both (easy to say that when it isn't my money!)

Get a decent stand alone recorder and use that for the recording but transfer to computer for fine tuning.

Flash memory based recorders are completely silent; if you use any powerful PC there's always the possibility that the fan will fire up at an embarassing moment.

I'd go software...

More flexible, espescially when you decide to edit sounds.... but if you have to buy the right PC hardwae/audio interface/Software then it will be more expensive too.

And then there is some professional Keyboards that allow for internal harddisk recording...

Edited by Bachus (02/10/12 06:43 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#339275 - 02/10/12 06:59 AM Re: Hard disk or software [Re: zuki]
Stein67 Offline

I use Cubase 6 as my DAW.

#339287 - 02/10/12 11:15 AM Re: Hard disk or software [Re: Stein67]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
If you are serious about your recording use a computer baised DAW Iuse Logic pro 9 and pro tools HD both will give you the on air ready sound not the notch below you will get with a hand held device.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online