SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#338448 - 02/02/12 02:54 AM Which keyboard is best for me?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
If you are looking for a keyboard to add to your Technics or replace it I would like to share my thoughts with seniors in mind.

The choices: Yamaha and Korg (No experience with Roland)

Most seniors are not interested in a large learning curve; they have had enough of, “figuring it out”. In either keyboard there will be things you most learn in order to enjoy it.

If this is you, you will enjoy a Yamaha there is less to do and learn before enjoying.

If you are the “looking to learn more type” as I am – Korg would be a better choice.
If you have any questions as to why please ask.

John C.

#338535 - 02/02/12 04:18 PM Re: Which keyboard is best for me? [Re: bruno123]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi John,

I am surprised you've opted for Yamaha as being the first choice as I think the operating system is very antiquated and could do with a huge update. For a start, you cannot play any of the Technics on it without a conversion, whereas from the demonstration I had at Pakefield last year, the Korg can play them. Then there is all the button pushing to get to songs, styles, registrations etc., which is VERY time consuming. Having said that, I have the Tyros 4 which has a really good sound system and I get a great deal of pleasure from playing it, particularly as I now have many converted Technics styles that I can use - a real bonus believe me.

I recently had the opportunity to play an Orla keyboard and I would say for beginners (particularly seniors) it would fit the bill nicely as what you see is what you get.
e.g. all the buttons are clearly shown on board and by 1-3 button pushes it will bring up your choice(s) which can then be saved instantly. Also for the organ enthusiasts there are quite a few organ voices on it and in fact, my friend calls hers "My mini portable organ".

Just my opinion of course.

Audrey

#338540 - 02/02/12 05:01 PM Re: Which keyboard is best for me? [Re: Audrey Turner]

Audrey wrote:
I am surprised you've opted for Yamaha as being the first choice as I think the operating system is very antiquated and could do with a huge update. For a start, you cannot play any of the Technics on it without a conversion, whereas from the demonstration I had at Pakefield last year, the Korg can play them.

John’s answer; I have not opted for Yamaha as being my first choice, I own and Play a Korg Pa800. As for styles hands down no other keyboard can stand up to Yamaha; Yamaha converted styles are available for just about any keyboard I can think of; plus the amount of styles and tutorials that are available is far beyond any other keyboard.

Audrey wrote:
Then there is all the button pushing to get to songs, styles, registrations etc., which is VERY time consuming.

John’s wrote:
I do not understand your statement – both keyboards have fantastic systems to get to each item you have mentioned; Korg being the better.

Audrey wrote:
Having said that, I have the Tyros 4 which has a really good sound system and I get a great deal of pleasure from playing it, particularly as I now have many converted Technics styles that I can use - a real bonus believe me.

John wrote;
The purpose of my post was to match one’s personality with a keyboard:

1-If you love the labor of learning and discovering and having the ability to make a keyboard just what you want then you buy a Korg keyboard; You can edit and change every part of the keyboard even the factory presets styles.

2-If you wish to enjoy a keyboard without a large learning curve then you should buy a Yamaha.

I picture a senior setting at a new keyboard he/she just bought ready to enjoy. If you are coming from a Technics keyboard you must learn to operate the new Operation System to take advantage of the keyboard if offering.

Now if your personality is anything like mine I constantly need a mountain to climb; I would become bored if I were not creating something – a new method to entertain – a new method of filing my songs so they are easily accessible – A better trumpet – changing a style more to what I feel it should be, and the list for me goes on and on; this is my pleasure, my JOY.

Having said all the above if there are any questions please ask; I have owned and a Psr2100, Psr3000, Psr900, Tyros 1, Tyros 2, Tryros 3, and now a Korg Pa80. 0In the past every Technics keyboard from the Kn1000 to the Kn7000.
I am not a genius, I just have had a lot of experience.

Audrey your opinions are ALWAYS welcome, John C.

#338712 - 02/04/12 05:21 PM Re: Which keyboard is best for me? [Re: bruno123]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi John,

I also liked the latest Korg keyboard and in particular the fact that you can change styles to a completely different one whilst playing, just by tapping the relevant key which puts it into a sort of 'stand-by' mode ready to carry on without a break. I also loved the Rock-n-Roll styles and the fact that you can bring in a drum solo anywhere and at any time whilst playing - again just by tapping the key and for me, the Korg keyboard really exels when used for playing jazz (something I've always loved and wanted to play, but have yet to master) but you are right of course, I don't know of anyone who is not looking for that elusive sound or rhythm, myself included which is why I don't like the Yamaha OS, with the Technics once you'd put together your setup, the whole lot was saved altogether and would stay there until changed by you, whereas with Yamaha you have to remember to press the Style, Regit etc. buttons just to get it to play and it's an even longer process when setting them up. No! I still much prefer my Technics KN7000. "Each to his own" as the saying goes.

Audrey

#338740 - 02/04/12 11:36 PM Re: Which keyboard is best for me? [Re: Audrey Turner]

No! I still much prefer my Technics KN7000. "Each to his own" as the saying goes.
Audrey

I wise decision Audrey. On the general arranger forum there was a post with a good player playing pretty much the same song on five keyboards, the Kn6000 included; I liked what I read on one post; “You can make great music on any good keyboard” it is all a matter of choice.

John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online