SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#338206 - 01/30/12 07:18 PM Just got an Android tablet. Need advice
Beakybird Offline

OK, it's not an iPad 2, but it's still pretty good. It's an Acer Iconia A500, soon to be upgraded to Android's latest OS, Ice Cream Sandwich.

It's got great specs, but still it doesn't have the 3rd party support that Apple Tablets have - but it only cost $300.

What's a good app for reading my sheet music?

Any other must have apps? I'm not planning on doing any recording. It would be cool to have an app that would sound out sheet music ...

Thanks in advance.

#338224 - 01/30/12 08:35 PM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been looking at the A500. Looks like a lot of bang for the buck. I know on my Android phone, I can find just about anything that is available for Iphone and a few things that are not.
Sorry I can't answer your question, at least yet.
DonM

#338231 - 01/30/12 09:34 PM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Beakybird
OK, it's not an iPad 2, but it's still pretty good. It's an Acer Iconia A500, soon to be upgraded to Android's latest OS, Ice Cream Sandwich.

It's got great specs, but still it doesn't have the 3rd party support that Apple Tablets have - but it only cost $300.

What's a good app for reading my sheet music?

Any other must have apps? I'm not planning on doing any recording. It would be cool to have an app that would sound out sheet music ...

Thanks in advance.

Probably the only thing where android apps is lagging behind IOS is the pro music apps, many of those are IPAD only.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#338233 - 01/30/12 09:59 PM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
Tony Hughes Offline

Beaky,

I bought the W500 thats the windows version and it will run anything you throw at it, I just use pdf reader, don't know about the A500, there must be something on the net, MUSICREADER. I think you and me are the only ones with an Acer, still think it's too small for reading music, there are loads of touch screen that do a better job at A4 size, its just mounting the thing close in front of you. Beaky the only problem with the Acer no one does a clip for it like the Ipad so you can't get it close to you face, the Ipad has loads of clips available but I hate the way Apple make you load stuff on.

Tony

Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#338235 - 01/30/12 10:05 PM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Android's (so called "Open"google's marketing trick, open for things that you don't need and fails to perform well for things that you really need) will start to show limitations very soon ( if you are a musician).

With IOS, you can hook it up to the dock ( I know you dont want to record, but you will later since tablet are so portable) ,play the soft syth from external controller, record using a mic and tons of 3rd party HARDWARE support ( zero for Androis because 10 manufactuters doing 50 models) .Even the same apps functions better , less buggy in IOS compared to Andriod. Acer with drop their suppor in a year, new apps will not have 100% functionality, the list goes on ( remember HP tablet ?).Will not be the case with IOS ( even Ipad 1).

I pad 3 is coming out in March.IPad 2 (is 500$ for 16 G), I would try to return ACER if youy can or atleast exchange with IPAD2.You won't regret it.

Remeber - Hi spes with less functionilty/bugs/not as smooth - not worth it.Flash will be gone for Tablets/phone since battery managing is still poor.

IPAD is proven and more apps are on the way.

Buy once, cry once.Just my 2 cents.

Edited by jamman (01/30/12 10:10 PM)

#338237 - 01/30/12 10:12 PM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: jamman]
Tony Hughes Offline

Jamman,

I think your 100% on the money, I didn't want to go that far to retrun it , didn't know if he could, BTW the battery on the Acer isn't all that bad, not as good as the Ipad and there are not as many screen sensors as the Ipad, well you will know about that, thanks for the advice.

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#338253 - 01/31/12 12:22 AM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Im waiting for iPAD 3

#338258 - 01/31/12 12:51 AM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Tony Hughes]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Beaky,

Beaky the only problem with the Acer no one does a clip for it like the Ipad so you can't get it close to you face, the Ipad has loads of clips available but I hate the way Apple make you load stuff on.

Tony

I had contacted this company that makes a more expensive version than the xClip, they are in the process of making a univeral x clip.

thegigeasy.com

But when I comes to apps, I hesitate to get an Android. And Tony, I'm with you, even up in my face I prefer a larger screen. I am hoping someone will come out with something that will do basically pdf's with an 8 1/2 x 11 screen for $100-200, it'll need usb for foot switch page turning. AND it needs to be Windows OS so you can use Michael Bedesems Open Text program that allows Yamaha players to save their song/style/transpose plus a lot of other parameters AND brings up the lead sheet on the computer, just by hitting a Registration Memory button.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/opentext.html

Edited by Scott Langholff (01/31/12 12:58 AM)

#338267 - 01/31/12 04:00 AM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: jamman]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: jamman

I pad 3 is coming out in March.IPad 2 (is 500$ for 16 G), I would try to return ACER if youy can or atleast exchange with IPAD2.You won't regret it.

Remeber - Hi spes with less functionilty/bugs/not as smooth - not worth it.Flash will be gone for Tablets/phone since battery managing is still poor.

IPAD is proven and more apps are on the way.

Buy once, cry once.Just my 2 cents.

Ditto, I've been using the iPad for close to 2 years, I got iPad1 on it's release date. About 15 months ago I started using it for lead sheets. It's a tough device to beat for not only lead sheets, but for a multitude of other uses that include reading, displaying photos for my other hobby photography. We recently stopped our Providence Journal newspaper subscription since a full blown very interactive just like the daily edition is available. The list goes on and on.

I prefer unReal Book UnReal Book

with the Page Flip Cicada Bluetooth Pedal

#338271 - 01/31/12 07:03 AM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Guys,
I have an Ipad, original version, which I bought the first week they were out and If
I needed an Ipad for music purposes I would look around for a used Ipad. My Ipad does everything, more in fact, that I need it to do for gigs. It is the 64G version.

Deane

Edited by hammer (01/31/12 07:05 AM)

#338309 - 01/31/12 03:07 PM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

I noticed that there is one sheet music viewer that has great reviews on Android called MobileSheets that enables annotation, page turning, music playback of audio files, metronome, and bluetooth pedal support, presumable to turn pages.

It doesn't have the ability to transpose which is something I would appreciate. I'm sure there are Apple sheet music viewers that do that.

But outside of reading sheet music, I want the tablet to read emails, do some light word processing, watch Netflix streaming movies, look at pictures through Picassa, Pandora, maybe some video chatting, stuff that the tablet can do easily already.

I don't see myself needing other music applications. If I want to record, I have my Zoom Q3HD or I can record to USB on my PSR-S910.

I do recognize that there are a gazillion Apps that Apple has that I can't get with the Android. Some I will want, like the ability to play sheet music and transpose it. But it's not worth $200 for me at this point.

Android is coming out with a new OS, Ice Cream Sandwich http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0-highlights.html. This is supposed to be a very rich platform that might compete better with Apple's OS.

I'll toy around with this thing. Maybe at some point I'll trade it in for an Apple.

#338311 - 01/31/12 03:18 PM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Seems to me the Apple Ipad is leading the pack.....and app companies are catering BIG TIME for programs for the iPad....in all walks of life besides music applications...and with iPad3 coming out in march OMG!!! Whats next!

#338312 - 01/31/12 03:24 PM Re: Just got an Android tablet. Need advice [Re: Beakybird]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: Beakybird

I noticed that there is one sheet music viewer that has great reviews on Android called MobileSheets that enables annotation, page turning, music playback of audio files, metronome, and bluetooth pedal support, presumable to turn pages.

I'll have alook at that - thanks for the info, I have been very dissapointed with my Epad, and apart from playing Angry Birds it has little use!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online