SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#337266 - 01/24/12 10:07 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: ianmcnll]
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Nice rig, but you can't beat a PA3X or Tyros4 for just sitting down and having a nice play, with no fuss nor muss.

Of course, that's why we buy arrangers.

Ian

Agree 100 %...WorkStation are not my thing. Arrangers 100 %.

#337271 - 01/24/12 10:44 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
As one who owns both a Tyros 3 and a Motif XF I can tell you that workstations do add value. Now I don't gig but rather compose and record my own music so my needs are different. What I found was that the Tyros and other Arrangers have a much different sound than workstations and are not oriented as much as I would like to more modern backing and arrangements. While there are hundreds, even thousands of Styles available there were only a small number that suited my needs. And in my experience creating Performances on the Motif with it's intelligent arpeggios was far easier than creating a style. Where the Tyros excelled was in the sound of specific acoustic instruments and I can easily use those with the Motif although I found that workstations IMHO have much better Piano voices.

Even if you gig or just play a Motif or a Kronos it can open up a whole new world of sound. Is there a lot to learn about how to use them? Yes. But once you have it's great fun and the combinations of sounds and accompaniments are endless.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#337274 - 01/24/12 11:15 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If I was gigging in a band, I'd probably use a workstation, perhaps a Motif or Kronos.

But, for my own home entertainment, and some personal single man gigs, the arranger (the Tyros4) is my first pick.

I just like playing more than tinkering or tweaking.

Ian

#337275 - 01/24/12 11:29 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Ian:

Actually the tinkering or tweaking on a Motif, while different than Tyros, is no more difficult. Once you understand how Motif works it's as easy as modifying Style Parts only with a lot more capability and possibilities.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#337279 - 01/24/12 12:14 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i have actually spent 30 minutes with a kronos in my local music store in birmingham. I was not impressed. the text on screen is unusable in a live set as you can barely read the text its so small. You would need pin point accuracy to select sounds and in a dmmed light setting like a concert or show i would be very concerned about changing sounds in a hurry.

Even in the instructional clip in this post you can see how carefully steve Mcnally is having to select sounds and functions using the screen. I can only guess at how many takes it took to get this short clip done. The Kronos is a nice concept but its execution was not well thought out but maybe a software upfdate can correct that . In any case it has no functions that i dont already have in my PA1X arranger workstation. Karma is not that intersting i reality either. We have discused this before. If anyone took the time to dig into their arranger they would see that the skills required to compose music on a workstation in sequencer mode are exactly the same when used on the sequencer in an arranger.

I have posted these examples before but its worth revisiting as i like to back up my points with personal experience when i can .

here is a song i sequenced from beginning to end on my arranger without using the aranger function at all. Every instrument was programmed by me and every sound tweaked by me. I inserted the effects reverb, phaser on the piano etc just like i would on my brothers Moytif XS .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluPIFtAM48

#337282 - 01/24/12 12:28 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

I don't see Jorden Rudess using a Tyros 4 arranger of any kind anytime soon. Why is every so DOWN on such a fantastic instrument...it might not be for your needs but to knock its vast deep capabilities is baffling..

Edited by Dnj (01/24/12 12:40 PM)

#337285 - 01/24/12 01:15 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I don't see Jorden Rudess using a Tyros 4 arranger of any kind anytime soon.
Why is every so DOWN on such a fantastic instrument...it might not be for your needs but to knock its vast deep capabilities is baffling

You won't see many of us arranger players using a workstation either...at least not on a gig...for instance, you don't use one, Donny! grin

Why don't you use one?

Nobody is "down" on the instrument...but, remember, this is an arranger forum.

I'm sure the Kronos, Motif and their ilk, are being discussed at great length on their respective workstation forums.

Ian

#337289 - 01/24/12 01:31 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I have seen many arranger kb acts using a synth for the great sounds... combined with some kind of arranger for styles. Some players like this combination, best of both worlds. And now that you can trigger arps with chords on many workstations makes it like a suedo arranger of sorts also. It's all good music I say.

#337291 - 01/24/12 01:34 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Donny,

If it is such a good combination, why don't you use a synth/workstation like the Kronos (or Motif) with your setup?

Ian

#337295 - 01/24/12 02:00 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Myself and Nedim both have the Kronos. I use the Kronos on Stage for weddings.

It is a breathtaking instrument, and I can do rudimentary arranging playing using both the Drums, Combinations, with/without Karma. Karma gives the Kronos lots of randomness you won't find in an arranger.

Go over to Korg or Karma-Labs and check it out.

It complements the Tyros 4 perfectly.

Edited by kbrkr (01/24/12 02:01 PM)

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online