SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#337133 - 01/23/12 06:15 AM Confused - what now?
Stein67 Offline

Was hoping I would have heard about the new "PSR S950" from Yamaha by now but...........nada!!

I was very tempted last night to go for a preowned Tyros4 but still felt that paying approx £2300 was a bit too much for my prospective usage at the minute.....although I do have a few regrets this morning.

Anyone know of a PSRS910 preowned that needs a good home? I have my home studio with my Juno di hooked up as a controller keyboard for my VSTs etc., but just want an arranger keyboard again for the living room to sit down and just PLAY - instead of constantly fiddling around with VSTs and PC's.

Edited by Stein67 (01/23/12 06:16 AM)

#337139 - 01/23/12 07:23 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
spoke with a good source at Yamaha at the NAMM show and I was told that the PSRS950 will be released possibly before the Summer NAMM show which will be held in about 6 months. I was also told that the new model will "knock my socks off" and that it will make those not able to afford a Tyros4 very happy.
(Retired 2021)

#337140 - 01/23/12 07:27 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: George Kaye]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: George Kaye
spoke with a good source at Yamaha at the NAMM show and I was told that the PSRS950 will be released possibly before the Summer NAMM show which will be held in about 6 months. I was also told that the new model will "knock my socks off" and that it will make those not able to afford a Tyros4 very happy.

That's great news George..... can't wait to get one.
Thanx for the update, won't be long. It's about time. cool2

Edited by Dnj (01/23/12 07:32 AM)

#337141 - 01/23/12 07:29 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: George Kaye]
Stein67 Offline

Originally Posted By: George Kaye

Thanks for that George!! Think I'll hold off and see what happens coming up to the summer.

#337143 - 01/23/12 08:00 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: George Kaye]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
George, Thanks for the info smile Makes sense to wait for two thirds of a Tyros4 at an affordable price than to sell the hatchback in the garage and buy the T4/Audya wink

Auron Music

#337144 - 01/23/12 08:28 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Beakybird Offline

Thanks George! This is extremely exciting. Nice that we don't have to wait until NAMM to just hear about it!

I've been playing this PSR-S910 for a long time. I got it in August of 2009. It's about time for an upgrade.

#337147 - 01/23/12 08:34 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Stein67 Offline

If it's before the summer NAMM then only a few months until I get my hands on one!! Brilliant......hopefully the bubble isn't burst and it's announced at the summer NAMM with an end of year release date!! frown laugh

Edited by Stein67 (01/23/12 08:34 AM)

#337149 - 01/23/12 08:45 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Stein67
If it's before the summer NAMM then only a few months until I get my hands on one!! Brilliant......hopefully the bubble isn't burst and it's announced at the summer NAMM with an end of year release date!! frown laugh

Or maybe it will be revealed with the new TYROS 5 also.. as a TOTL/MOTL offering?..be prepared to sell your T4's/S910's... cool2

Edited by Dnj (01/23/12 08:45 AM)

#337153 - 01/23/12 08:51 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Some of us are pretty happy with what we have, and aren't into "flavor of the week" when it comes to buying arrangers.

But there will be those who have to have the latest and greatest (or smallest wink )...if you think it will make you sound better, then go at it!

From my own experience in the field, I have found that many don't even use over 50% of what their present arranger can do.

I'm still enjoying and exploring the magnificent Tyros4, and I'm pretty happy with what it can do, and of the possibilities yet to be found.

Yes, it's exciting to buy something new, but there is a lot to be said about the personal satisfaction of getting the most of what we already own.

Ian

#337155 - 01/23/12 08:58 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: ianmcnll]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Some of us are pretty happy with what we have, and aren't into "flavor of the week" when it comes to buying arrangers. Ian

There's a real good reason why I still own a pair of PSR-3000s. wink The grass ain't always greener on the other side of the fence! smile smile smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#337156 - 01/23/12 08:59 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Dnj Offline

Thats all well and good fellas...but for me .....when can I order one is all I want to know?

#337157 - 01/23/12 09:00 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Stein67 Offline

I'll be upgrading from my invisible arranger so I can't wait!! laugh

#337158 - 01/23/12 09:04 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Some of us are pretty happy with what we have, and aren't into "flavor of the week" when it comes to buying arrangers. Ian

There's a real good reason why I still own a pair of PSR-3000s. wink The grass ain't always greener on the other side of the fence! smile smile smile

Gary cool

You know Gary, I could still take a PSR-3000 and do a gig with as much fun and enjoyment as I can with my newer Tyros4.

The 3K was, and still is, one of my favorites.

I had two of them as well...they were the very model of reliability, and sounded great (mega voices were first introduced)and I have several friends still using that arranger to perform.

One of Yammie's greatest hits, in my opinion.

Ian

#337161 - 01/23/12 09:16 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I agree with the thought get out of your keyboard all you can before upgrade , I came away from this years NAMM Show with the thought the gear I have in my studio is better then the suff I saw there that was new I am happy with what I got all I am going to do is upgrade my 2nd Keyboard / Stage piano as for arrangers I am stayinmg put and Greatful for what I have.

#337162 - 01/23/12 09:30 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

Another thread illustrates that older gear still has lots of potential (depending on the creativity and perseverance the user)as witnessed by the Korg PA-2X...great sound indeed.

And look at the baby sized microArranger...based on at least 10 year old technology, but still a viable instrument in the hands of a great player...witness Donny's (dnj) two very well done demos that illustrate that the instrument still has lots of potential.

My last arrangers (that I personally owned) were PSR-3000...I used S900 and S910 as demo instruments courtesy of the company, and I almost bought the latter but for a nice deal on a sweet new Tyros4, which still gives me goosebumps when I play it.

I can't see changing in the near future, and changing for "changing sake" isn't economically viable for most of us.

Ian

#337164 - 01/23/12 09:31 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: musicforyourday]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
I agree with the thought get out of your keyboard all you can before upgrade , I came away from this years NAMM Show with the thought the gear I have in my studio is better then the suff I saw there that was new I am happy with what I got all I am going to do is upgrade my 2nd Keyboard / Stage piano as for arrangers I am stayinmg put and Greatful for what I have.

I am not surpised..you already own two of the four best arranger keyboards...Audya and PA3x are the other two...

#337165 - 01/23/12 09:39 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

As soon as the new Yamaha are released the tunes change and the hand goes in the pocket....it's only human nature. rotfl cool2

#337166 - 01/23/12 09:43 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... Ignorance is bliss - or so they say - and I am blissfully happy with my technics kn6000 ... and you are right Ian, I have not even scratched the surface of this powerful instrument ...

#337167 - 01/23/12 09:53 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
... Ignorance is bliss - or so they say - and I am blissfully happy with my technics kn6000 ... and you are right Ian, I have not even scratched the surface of this powerful instrument ...

Tony..you better get scratching...we are running out of time smile

#337168 - 01/23/12 09:54 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
As soon as the new Yamaha are released the tunes change and the hand goes in the pocket....it's only human nature. rotfl cool2

Well, we all know it's your nature, for sure, Donny!! wink

Ian

#337169 - 01/23/12 09:59 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Dnj Offline

Soooo.... is that why everyone depressed me from trading for the "older model" PA1x ? I could make that or any unit sound awesome with no problem.... so the older/newer argument doesn't hold water, but aside from the keyboard itself the navigational features are so important to EACH player & how they operate a unit.
in fact my offer still stands if anyone is interested. If I get one I'll gladly post some demos also. Like my Dad always told me at the dinner table as a kid in Italian if there was something served I didn't want to eat,...
"provare una volta se non ti piace non dovete mangiare di nuovo" ....(try it once if you don't like it you don't have to eat it again) Have a nice day. wink cool2

Edited by Dnj (01/23/12 10:03 AM)

#337171 - 01/23/12 10:36 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL

I was very tempted last night to go for a preowned Tyros4 but still felt that paying approx £2300 was a bit too much for my prospective usage at the minute.....although I do have a few regrets this morning.

I've been playing keyboards a LOOOONG time. I am NOT a Fanboy of any particular manufacturer. I will say the T4 is one of the most musically fulfilling keyboards I have ever owned; that includes the Audya, Pa2xpro, etc.. The style and Custom Voice offerings from Yamaha really are something special and gives the keyboard life from the humdrum.

I play wedding cocktail hours (along with ceremonies) with the Tyros 4 and people have actually started dancing to my Big Band numbers during the set!!! I've personally never seen that before. I'm even getting tips (which I normally refuse during cocktail hour). It really is a special keyboard. No, it does not have the Live groove feeling of the Audya, but it doesn't come with all the negative baggage the Audya comes with either.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#337173 - 01/23/12 11:09 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
124 Offline

So, can all you Yamaha types venture forth on what features, improvements, dreams, etc. you hope to see in this new S950?

#337178 - 01/23/12 12:03 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I could make that or any unit sound awesome with no problem.... so the older/newer argument doesn't hold water, but aside from the keyboard itself the navigational features are so important to EACH player & how they operate a unit.

Since you can make any arranger sound "awesome", why not that old long-in-the tooth PSR-S910...it's been hangin' around your kit for quite awhile?

A few off the cuff demos like you did on the KMA (thanks Tony) would be a nice treat for us seniors... wink

Plus, ain't it strange that no one else with the microArranger has posted any demos?

I'm sure you aren't the only one who can handle those tiny keys and can make great music on it...or are you? cool2

Ian

PS...we put you off the PA1X because, no matter how good you can play, you'd be too tired to press a key after lugging that monstrosity around, no matter how good it sounds. grin

#337179 - 01/23/12 12:12 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: 124]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
So, can all you Yamaha types venture forth on what features, improvements, dreams, etc. you hope to see in this new S950?

I can't say much about the new S-series, 124, except that it will no doubt have a new feature that is not found on the Tyros4.

I don't have a clue what it can be...on the S910 it was MP3 playback, on the S900 it was audio to USB record, on the PSR-3000 it was USB to device storage...each corresponding Tyros was without, and the next model had the new feature.

My guess...there might be the addition of more SA sounds, several SA2 voices, and perhaps the Tyros4's new VH-2 Vocal Harmony?

I'm sure there will be more.

Ian

#337190 - 01/23/12 01:27 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

It's fun to buy and try I am fortunate that I can do that most times ....I love doing that thru the years after all its just a keyboard. They come & go as do all electronic devices...always think back just a few short years ago as to what we had in gear versus what is available today...
pretty amazing huh? I will always listen to opinions but I will always make the final one in the end no matter what. Playing music for people professionally for a living is a divine gift & I intend to explore things that can make it better & share my talent now & in the future.

Also Ian I'm very sure anyone with a KMA can offer demos also & play it with no problems at all....if they choose to do so that's their prerogative, I always enjoy listening & absorb from everyone...but if not so be it.

Edited by Dnj (01/23/12 01:27 PM)

#337199 - 01/23/12 02:35 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, I have given that much thought – my opinion: you are so right. I think I buy because of boredom most of the time.

The Kn7 or the S900 was all I needed to do a good job, but it is hard to put off the excitement of a new keyboard/toy.
Ask Donny. (oops)

John C.

#337201 - 01/23/12 03:08 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Playing music for people professionally for a living is a divine gift & I intend to explore things that can make it better & share my talent now & in the future.
Also Ian I'm very sure anyone with a KMA can offer demos also & play it with no problems at all....if they choose to do so that's their prerogative, I always enjoy listening & absorb from everyone...but if not so be it.

I can't say mine was a divine gift Donny...my uncle used to say I "played like I had the devil in me"...

I was hoping we could hear the microArranger played by a different set of fingers, as Fran has one, and he does instrumental music, but, there's certainly no pressure, as your demos would probably be too hard to better in any case.

If the new S-series has what you want, no harm in going for it, as I always say, anything that's going to make my playing better, I'm going to be interested...but, as I've stated before, the Tyros4 is more than enough for me.

Happy playing,

Ian

PS...no gig today/tonight?

#337203 - 01/23/12 03:23 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Playing music for people professionally for a living is a divine gift & I intend to explore things that can make it better & share my talent now & in the future.

I can't say mine was a divine gift Donny...my uncle used to say I "played like I had the devil in me"...

I was hoping we could hear the microArranger played by a different set of fingers, as Fran has one, and he does instrumental music, but, there's certainly no pressure, as your demos would probably be too hard to better in any case.

If the new S-series has what you want, no harm in going for it, as I always say, anything that's going to make my playing better, I'm going to be interested...but, as I've stated before, the Tyros4 is more than enough for me.

Happy playing,

Ian

PS...no gig today/tonight?

As a demonstrator for Yamaha I would assume you would have to have to upgrade to the latest T5, S950, etc to demo to clients....?
I would also have to say that I make the keyboard sound good not the other way around when playing..demos really don't mean a thing, but happiness does..

#337204 - 01/23/12 03:30 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

No, Donny, I don't have to upgrade for my personal use...I'm pretty sure the Tyros4 will be all that I'll need.

I am also fortunate to receive the latest arrangers from Yamaha to facilitate my demoing and/or clinics on those instruments...I never use these instruments for personal playing jobs, without permission at least, especially if it is something really new and not for public view.

For my own gigs, it will be Tyros4...for Yamaha's jobs, it will be their most current model(s).

I'm also working (how appropriate) on the latest Yamaha workstations.

Ian

#337246 - 01/24/12 07:41 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Stein67 Offline

As the days go on I'm getting increasingly annoyed that I didn't go for the pre owned Tyros 4 the other night......regretting it big time at the minute as I love working with Cubase 6 and all my VSTs but I love to sit down and just get lost in the music and jamming away!! The T4 would also have been very handy to have for more serious music writing due to the quality of sound.....

I could do with a wee pick me up from Yamaha announcing the new S950, sooooo come on Yammy give us some confirmation?!? laugh

#337260 - 01/24/12 09:26 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Beakybird Offline

As the days go on I'm getting increasingly annoyed that I didn't go for the pre owned Tyros 4 the other night......regretting it big time at the minute as I love working with Cubase 6 and all my VSTs but I love to sit down and just get lost in the music and jamming away!! The T4 would also have been very handy to have for more serious music writing due to the quality of sound.....

I could do with a wee pick me up from Yamaha announcing the new S950, sooooo come on Yammy give us some confirmation?!? laugh

When George Kaye hears it through the grape vine, it's usually accurate.

Good luck with the T4 lust. Very understandable.

#337262 - 01/24/12 09:33 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Dnj Offline

If your depressed waiting now.....just think how depressed you gonna be if you buy T4 now ......and in 6 months or so Yamaha drops a T5/S950 arranger on us......but alternately you could probably get a T4 at a deep discount when that happens also as perspective will be bailing out of T4 in anticipation to buy T5's, etc, ... it's all a waiting game.

#337269 - 01/24/12 10:27 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

One of the things you will miss on an S-series will be the Tyros4's FSX keyboard, the Lexus of keybeds in my opinion.

Whilst I really like the light, quick, accurate action on the PSR, I've really come to appreciate the FSX and it's extremely expressive initial and aftertouch features.

Sure, there will be a Tyros5 and a new S-series, but, take it from me, as one who is involved heavily with arrangers (especially Yamaha), you wouldn't go wrong with a Tyros4...I know I'm more than happy with mine, and I can't see anything in the future to change my opinion.

Al mentioned, earlier in this thread, that he had people dancing to his Tyros4...I played New Year's Eve, and although it wasn't a dance per se, it ended up as one with the Tyros4 delivering the goods in spades. The styles and sounds are superb!

A thoroughly terrific instrument, and, if I sound like I'm smitten...I am!

Ian

#337272 - 01/24/12 10:51 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I second Ian's comment about the Yamaha FSX Keybed which is on the Tyros and Motif. It occupies a perfect middle ground between a Synth-Style fast keybed and a Full Hammer Action. I love it every time a use it.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#337276 - 01/24/12 11:42 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
124 Offline

I guess the big 'what if' is: what if Yamaha put that T4 keybed in this new S950. I'd think that is quite conceivable if (another if) they 'improve' on the current Tyros keyboard and put it into a T5. And at what point is a keybed actually perfect anyway, given the subjectivity of that particular nirvana?

#337277 - 01/24/12 12:10 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I doubt you will see the FSX on MOTL such as a 950. In the past Yamaha has put a Synth Style keybed on the 900 Series that to my taste was too light. They have reserved the FXS for their TOTL Arrangers and Workstations. You can always get a pretty nice semi-weighted Piano keybed on a MOX8.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#337286 - 01/24/12 01:19 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

I agree with Joe...I doubt if we'll see an FSX keyboard on a S-series.

Ian

#337292 - 01/24/12 01:35 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
124 Offline

But the big 'if' still remains, always will I know. And if (there it is again:)) in a company's striving for improvement they turn their main attention away from sound enhancement, and focus their attention on the actual keyboard, then surely at some point the FSX will find its way into the S series. Time will tell.

#337293 - 01/24/12 01:41 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

Who knows? They may use another type of keyboard with aftertouch, from another product?

The original Tyros wasn't made in Japan, and used an initial/aftertouch keyboard that was not quite the same quality as those that followed on the Tyros2 etc.

It was still pretty good...maybe that one will find it's way into a S-series?

Ian

#337294 - 01/24/12 01:59 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Dnj Offline

I always enjoyed playing the lightning fast PSR series keys over my Tyros 1 & 2 units....for my style of playing its comfortable.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online