SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#337246 - 01/24/12 07:41 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Stein67 Offline

As the days go on I'm getting increasingly annoyed that I didn't go for the pre owned Tyros 4 the other night......regretting it big time at the minute as I love working with Cubase 6 and all my VSTs but I love to sit down and just get lost in the music and jamming away!! The T4 would also have been very handy to have for more serious music writing due to the quality of sound.....

I could do with a wee pick me up from Yamaha announcing the new S950, sooooo come on Yammy give us some confirmation?!? laugh

#337260 - 01/24/12 09:26 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: Stein67
As the days go on I'm getting increasingly annoyed that I didn't go for the pre owned Tyros 4 the other night......regretting it big time at the minute as I love working with Cubase 6 and all my VSTs but I love to sit down and just get lost in the music and jamming away!! The T4 would also have been very handy to have for more serious music writing due to the quality of sound.....

I could do with a wee pick me up from Yamaha announcing the new S950, sooooo come on Yammy give us some confirmation?!? laugh

When George Kaye hears it through the grape vine, it's usually accurate.

Good luck with the T4 lust. Very understandable.

#337262 - 01/24/12 09:33 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Stein67

If your depressed waiting now.....just think how depressed you gonna be if you buy T4 now ......and in 6 months or so Yamaha drops a T5/S950 arranger on us......but alternately you could probably get a T4 at a deep discount when that happens also as perspective will be bailing out of T4 in anticipation to buy T5's, etc, ... it's all a waiting game.

#337269 - 01/24/12 10:27 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
One of the things you will miss on an S-series will be the Tyros4's FSX keyboard, the Lexus of keybeds in my opinion.

Whilst I really like the light, quick, accurate action on the PSR, I've really come to appreciate the FSX and it's extremely expressive initial and aftertouch features.

Sure, there will be a Tyros5 and a new S-series, but, take it from me, as one who is involved heavily with arrangers (especially Yamaha), you wouldn't go wrong with a Tyros4...I know I'm more than happy with mine, and I can't see anything in the future to change my opinion.

Al mentioned, earlier in this thread, that he had people dancing to his Tyros4...I played New Year's Eve, and although it wasn't a dance per se, it ended up as one with the Tyros4 delivering the goods in spades. The styles and sounds are superb!

A thoroughly terrific instrument, and, if I sound like I'm smitten...I am!

Ian

#337272 - 01/24/12 10:51 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I second Ian's comment about the Yamaha FSX Keybed which is on the Tyros and Motif. It occupies a perfect middle ground between a Synth-Style fast keybed and a Full Hammer Action. I love it every time a use it.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#337276 - 01/24/12 11:42 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
124 Offline

I guess the big 'what if' is: what if Yamaha put that T4 keybed in this new S950. I'd think that is quite conceivable if (another if) they 'improve' on the current Tyros keyboard and put it into a T5. And at what point is a keybed actually perfect anyway, given the subjectivity of that particular nirvana?

#337277 - 01/24/12 12:10 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I doubt you will see the FSX on MOTL such as a 950. In the past Yamaha has put a Synth Style keybed on the 900 Series that to my taste was too light. They have reserved the FXS for their TOTL Arrangers and Workstations. You can always get a pretty nice semi-weighted Piano keybed on a MOX8.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#337286 - 01/24/12 01:19 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

I agree with Joe...I doubt if we'll see an FSX keyboard on a S-series.

Ian

#337292 - 01/24/12 01:35 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
124 Offline

But the big 'if' still remains, always will I know. And if (there it is again:)) in a company's striving for improvement they turn their main attention away from sound enhancement, and focus their attention on the actual keyboard, then surely at some point the FSX will find its way into the S series. Time will tell.

#337293 - 01/24/12 01:41 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

Who knows? They may use another type of keyboard with aftertouch, from another product?

The original Tyros wasn't made in Japan, and used an initial/aftertouch keyboard that was not quite the same quality as those that followed on the Tyros2 etc.

It was still pretty good...maybe that one will find it's way into a S-series?

Ian

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online