SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#335451 - 01/06/12 08:36 AM Bose Compact
zuki Offline

OK, ready to dodge the bullets. Sold my QSC8s, as my jobs do not necessitate much power. On the floor, they are not really effective and I refuse to pole speakers (safety). I'd say a good number (60%) can be done with the wonderful 800 speakers alone. I plan to throw the L1C behind me and run the kyd speakers as loud as possible in stereo.

I timed my sale, based on tracking info for delivery today. The Bose came alright, but just the poles! So I have a couple larger rooms coming that will make the audience 'lean in' a bit. lol

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#335455 - 01/06/12 09:30 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: zuki]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I hate speaker pole too, and that's mainly why I use 2 Bose Compacts. I (like most of us here) set up/tear down all by myself and I don't want to deal with bulky speaker poles. Plus they are a safety issue as you pointed out. I realize that there's lots of speakers that are more powerful and cheaper than the Bose, but I don't want to be the one setting up/and loading that stuff. Welcome (back???) to the Bose Compact!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#335457 - 01/06/12 09:42 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: zuki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Guys, I dislike speakers on poles too...not for the same reason as Jim (safety)...I just don't like the sound of speakers on poles (by themselves)...I can live with them if you use a sub woofer....

Keyboards are to be heard on the floor ..period..

The only practical reason for speakers on poles....coverage over audiences....Set up a good quality sound system on the floor and it will cover the room, without sacrificing the sound..I hate the "all mids" that most speakers give you on poles...I want to hear bass, and feel it too..and I want the sound (full sound) coming from my instrument area..not 15 feet to each side of me..and 8 feet high...

Nothing works better for me than my Old Roland Cubes in stereo ..4-6 feet apart , behind me...ON THE FLOOR!!!!

#335459 - 01/06/12 09:53 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I modified a pair of cheap single braced X-stands to put my Yamaha MS-60S powered speakers on...when they are open, it is just wide enough to hold the speaker securely, and they are exactly at ear level when I am seated.

They aren't too high to be unstable (or dangerous), and I set them up a bit behind me and about two feet away (that varies with stage size) from me on either side.

They fold up/set up in seconds, and I have an old keyboard gig bag they both fit into, making transporting very easy.

I'm sure you could use any type speaker, including old Roland Cubes (great sounding and reliable speakers, by the way, Fran..I had a pair many moons ago).

Ian

#335460 - 01/06/12 10:03 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: zuki]
Fran Carango Offline

Same Roland Cubes pictured here , 20 years ago...I pop out the rear casters and it tilts just enough for great coverage..

#335461 - 01/06/12 10:26 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Same Roland Cubes pictured here , 20 years ago...I pop out the rear casters and it tilts just enough for great coverage..

A friend of mine still uses my old Cubes (they were 100's) and they still work like the day they were bought.

My Yamaha MS-60S powered monitors were pricey when new, but at over 20 years old, they still look and work perfectly, and are ideal for my line of work, which is restaurant background instrumental music, and they also serve as monitors when I rent a big system for larger venues. They only weigh a little over 20 lbs. each.

I think the Cube 100's, although fairly heavy, were the best of the Cube range, in my opinion. Great bottom end.

Ian

#335462 - 01/06/12 10:38 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Fran

The Hell with the speakers, who are the girls ?? And what's Dean Martin doing on stage with them messing with a keyboard??
HA! Nice pic, wish I had more of my past exploits

#335463 - 01/06/12 10:39 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Ian , my original Roland Cube 100's (pictured) are 27 years old...and still work perfect (a few scuffs, but no abuse)...I purchased a pair of new conditioned (in storage for more than 20 years) Roland Cube 100's a few years ago and are stored in my studio ( most likely I won't get a chance to use them...the original units still work as the day I bought them....Retailed for $800 each , 27 years ago..

I hope my family knows they are worth a decent price, when the garage sale comes...after they out live me.. smile

#335464 - 01/06/12 10:40 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: zuki]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Zuki

If the K8's are not definatly gone I would be intertested? would match up nice with my Crate KX220.

#335466 - 01/06/12 10:49 AM Re: Bose Compact [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Fran

The Hell with the speakers, who are the girls ?? And what's Dean Martin doing on stage with them messing with a keyboard??
HA! Nice pic, wish I had more of my past exploits

Bill, the girls are Debra Michaels, and Andrea Mychaels....hence I called us the Mychaels trio..they both still perform,

Andrea (curly hair to my left) fronts the popular Philly band.."Big City"..Deb has worked with several bands in the Philly area...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online