SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3338 - 12/09/02 12:38 PM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
if youre really worried get them checked even for peace of mind ! I do lots of live stuff and I got some attenuators (not ear plugs) made up they're like the ones that classical muso's wear with changeable 15 db 30 db or 45 db(eek) filters personaly I use the 15db filters which are fine .And they dont cut off the high freq's like say a foam ear plug would infact you can (almost) mix with them on .Its really worth it if you play live lots.also I get my ears checked every year (or so) cause I get a bit of tinnitus too.

#3339 - 12/11/02 08:07 AM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
There is no doubt that sustained listening at high volumes causes hearing loss. Headphones can damage nerve endings as well. The simple truth is: Too much volume is no good for your health.
I have been fortunate to keep my "space" all these years on stage so I was never exposed to the front line of fire from the speakers. This is another resason why monitors are SO very important. You needa comfort zone at all times on stage.

Many of my friends have lost some sensitivity, mostly in the upper ranges first. That makes spoken work harder to distinguish, and music sounds "dull" because of the lack of high frequencies. They tend to compensate by cranking the treble and pushing the fadars up .....mor DAMAGE.

Get your hearing checked and STAY out of the way of the speakers. It should be an easy choice really .......
to HEAR or not to HEAR ...
What was the question?

#3340 - 12/11/02 11:18 PM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
tek:
you were in the air forcE?

#3341 - 12/12/02 12:05 PM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
EQ...
It's called "age"...
Welcome to the club

#3342 - 12/15/02 07:28 AM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Knowledge about our protection ESSENTIAL. I urge all of you to visit http://www.hearnet.com/index.shtml

Protection is absolutely imperative at levels above that of someone shouting only (about) 2 meters away. Learn which protection devices are best for you given the application and your personal preferences.

#3343 - 12/15/02 11:55 AM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
tekminus Offline

Yeah, Jiddu. I did my service in the Swedish airforce as a mechanic. For some 10 months I sent off fighters from the runway service area.

I've never heard a louder noise, than when I stood 3m (9ft) from a full afterburner. We did these engine tests and stood there next to the planes. The noise is physically moving you around. Like something grabbing you. Some people had to throw up afterwards.

-tek

#3344 - 12/16/02 11:19 PM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Afterburners. Man. -tek, that's gnarley man.
I'll bet hard rock concert audiences would love that....getting hit by a jet engine's afterburner blast. Pretty quick way to go bald anyway. Receeding hairline? what hairline more like. What's awesome is when the gate is opened and it turns to full thrust and the flames just turn into these cool blue cones. Stand behind that and your'e instantly turned into a carbonous debris. were talkin no dental records.

#3345 - 12/17/02 05:28 AM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Tek, I'll go along with that. I remember sitting on a perimeter track in my car waiting for an F84 to take off and he switched on the afterburner just after he passed me. I thought the car was going to turn over. It really shook. Certainly the loudest noise I ever heard.

Bryan

#3346 - 12/17/02 08:23 AM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
tekminus Offline

Here's an image of one of the Viggens I've actually worked with. They have since then been replaced by the new JAS-39 fighter. This is during a show in Såtenäs, home of F7.

-tek

#3347 - 12/18/02 06:57 AM Re: Is anyone else going deaf?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Tek- that's a very impressive picture! I must admit, for me this is all very confusing. I mean... I never realised the Swedish even had a military of any kind!

After all... the last time you guys were at war with anyone, you were all wearing funny horned hats! Right?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online