SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#332895 - 10/25/11 06:02 PM Comparing the Kn7000 With ?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Let’s do a real fair comparison.

The question: What other Keyboard has held popularity for such a long time?

If you know of one -- how did it compare in quality, features and sound for it’s time?

John C.

#332898 - 10/26/11 01:50 AM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: bruno123]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi John - surely the reason the KN7000 has held its popularity for so long was that there was no KN8000; 8500; and then KN9000 etc
Rog

#332905 - 10/26/11 07:28 AM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Offline

Hi Rog,
The mechanic where I have my car repaired also works with electronics and he said he could put a Kn8000 together ---

Soooooo, if you want to be the first to own one, let me know.

John C.

#332906 - 10/26/11 07:56 AM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: bruno123]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Rog.....

Surely the reason the KN7000 is still sought after, is that it's just a superb arranger keyboard. smile And, whenever one appears on eBay, they are snapped up pretty quickly, even though they are appreciating in value !!
Sad to say, they are often bought by someone in UK, who ships them out to the Far East, thereby reducing the availability in UK frown

John....

I'd like to meet your motor mechanic laugh

#332908 - 10/26/11 09:04 AM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: Bill Norrie]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I'd love to travel out to the Far East, Bill, and see them in bars being used wouldn't you, eh...

#332922 - 10/26/11 05:57 PM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Offline

The Yamaha Dx7 held its popularity for many years.
It was not an arranger keyboard, more of a synth.
The reason for its popularity?? I am not sure, I had one and sold quickly. Fad – the right time, who knows.

John C.

#332991 - 10/30/11 12:57 AM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: Bill Norrie]
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England

Originally Posted By: Bill Norrie
Rog.....
Surely the reason the KN7000 is still sought after, is that it's just a superb arranger keyboard. smile And, whenever one appears on eBay, they are snapped up pretty quickly, even though they are appreciating in value !!
Sad to say, they are often bought by someone in UK, who ships them out to the Far East, thereby reducing the availability in UK frown

Sorry to slightly disagree with Bill !!

The reason the KN7000 is now selling in UK at 1000 GB Pounds (1600 Dollars)and appreciating (you could buy a KN7000 for 6-800 GB Pounds 2 years ago !!), is that this is the amount 'Adam Bolin' in Jakarta, Indonesia will pay for them. He has bought almost every KN7000 advertised in UK or traded in via Dealers over the last 2 years (i.e. Bonners in Eastbourne and Roger Haggarty in Nottingham). This has created a scarcity, and scarcity forces prices up. He is a victim of his own success !!

I loved my KN7000 as much as I loved my Yamaha 9000 Pro, and would class them as equals, with the various Pro's and Cons of each. They were both the last of a line of substantially constructed instruments, actually manufactured in Japan, and were both of the same production dates. For a 'gigging' musician, the 9000 Pro was a much more rugged instrument, with a steel case and chassis, and at over 50 pounds in weight you have to believe that ! I believe that the beautiful styling of the KN7000 balances that off as an 'equal'.

A Mint 9000 Pro with every extra (Speakers, Hard Drive, Gooseneck Lights, etc., struggles to get 500 to 600 GB Pounds on Ebay, and in my opinion, without the 'Scarcity Factor' that is what a similar KN7000 would achieve.

How do I know this ? - Have a look H E R E at my Yamaha 9000 Pro, which is currently on sale (but unsold after 7 Days !!) on UK Ebay.

If you are interested enough - I have posted a Video of myself playing a 9000 Pro, and some recordings from it, which with a fair and unbiased opinion, I am sure you will agree are of a similar quality as can be produced on the KN7000 by a competent musician. Check out 'Johns Page' ..... CLICK HERE

Kind regards,

John

Edited by Tony Deaf (10/30/11 12:59 AM)
Edit Reason: Speling mistooks

#332994 - 10/30/11 02:33 AM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
bruno123 Offline

John,
Your knowledge is impressive and your opinion seems sound, thank you.

My opinion of the Yamaha 9000 Pro after owning and returning it after one week was positive. I loved the way it looked with two goose neck lights. My objection was weight more than 10 than the Kn7000.

I do not dispute your statements in your post, I do not have the knowledge to do that but in all fairness we must include the popularity of the Kn7000. The romance and desire not to part with the Kn7000 you have. Scarcity caused by the gentlemen you mentioned may be a fact but there are many owners that will not part with the Kn7000; in my opinion this fact has a lot to do with the scarcity.

My second thought is that you rarely hear about the 9000Pro on any forum; and why did they stop making that model. Most of the posts I just finished reading said they liked the instrument but. To my knowledge the Kn7000 has almost a spotless rep.

Only my opinions, John C.

#332998 - 10/30/11 05:58 AM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: bruno123]
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England
John,

I have to agree with you that the owners of the KN7000 who are actually musicians, and not 'players' are definitely hanging on to their KN7000's - which is certainly a factor contributing to their scarcity. I know someone who posts on here (no names, but if we were all called 'Bill' - you would have a hard job to find him), actually has two KN7000's.

Now then - more fuel to the fire - this gentlemans best friend has a Yamaha 9000 (not he 'Pro'), and they have failed to master the operating system of the Yamaha, describing it as 'much more difficult than the KN7000' !! Now, my wife and I, both with years of Yamaha experience, switched to Technics - a KN 6500, then a KN7000. Yes, we could play them - no problem - but when it came to using the Menu's for the Arranger half, we were befuddled and confused. Even with the help of our 'Master Tech' Guru - Willum !! .... Remember please also, that our brains are not what they were 70 years and more ago !! I even forget where I live, or what day it is (Happy Easter all !!).

We sadly parted company with Technics due to this problem. My wife bought a Yamaha S910 (this has to be the best 'Bang per buck' at 1,300 GB Pounds, (2,000 US Dollars), new - discounted from about 1,800 Pounds). I bought a Yamaha 9000 Pro for 600 Pounds (1,000 US Dollars). We can 'fly' around the OS of the Yamaha's - because we are very familiar and used to it. The same must apply in most cases in reverse to owners of Technics, who try to play with Yamaha's OS.

It was a sad thing that the Yamaha 9000 Pro was not continued for long, or even developed or upgraded. The reason is this...... Yamaha with their amazing (NOT !!) appreciation of what the buyers needed produced a 'Winner' with the 9000 Pro !! It had everything .... A 77 Note Piano weighted Keybed, an Arranger section, Solid construction for gigging. No Amplification or built in speakers, Vocal Harmoniser, even inbuilt lighting to illuminate the Keyboard / Music Stand in dark venues. Other than the Arranger section and inbuilt 'Styles' it was a true 'Professional' Keyboard.

Sadly - Professionals saw it with an 'Arranger' as a 'Home Keyboard' - they still do frown on 'Styles' and arrangers..... The 'Home Players' saw it as a Professional Keyboard, with no inbuilt speakers and a heavy steel case with no inbuilt speakers.

So ... It never sold, or even got a good reputation from either side of the divide. I still honestly believe it was the best keyboard that Yamaha ever made, as was the KN7000 for Technics.

Sounds?? .... Super Articulation 1 and 2, and all the fancy names for Yamaha's polyphony-eating Styles (Mega Voices!!), fail to impress me. The only person who will appreciate these sounds will be another musician, or at best another 'Yamaha Nut' - When did you last have a musician in your audience when gigging? .... To Mr Joe Public at your Wedding, Birthday, Lounge or Pub Gig - a Trumpet is a trumpet, whether it is Super Articulated SA1, SA 2, 'Live' or whatever - they won't know the difference to an old FM Synthesised one !! The only thing that impresses your audience is your playing ability, then your confidence and personality. So who is impressed by these fancy sounds? .... Just the people who have paid over 3,000 pounds for the latest gizmo laden plastic keyboard Yamaha make.

Just my honest opinion, and I really don't want to upset anyone - My opinion may be flawed, especially as I am a 76 year old opinionated 'Fart' who has been a professional musician for over 60 years.

This discussion is very interesting, and I hope that those with views different to mine will give their opinion on the subject - its good to hear other peoples 'angles', and with an open mind, one might just change their opinion.

Sorry to ramble, but I feel my points are valid.

Happy Halloween to all,

John

PS... I am still running the Technics Keyboard and Organ Forum, which now has over 230 Members !!! Like here - there are not a lot of active posters, sadly !!

#333003 - 10/30/11 02:53 PM Re: Comparing the Kn7000 With ? [Re: Tony Deaf]
bruno123 Offline

John,
First of all in no way do I see you as a, (quoting you), “ a 76 year old opinionated 'Fart'”. I fact my opinion is that you say/write so much on all subjects --- you go and on and that is what is needed here because (After saying this I’m going run for protection) most of the old farts here have very little to say, they share very little; only a hand full keep sharing and keep this place on the move. So John, don’t make any changes.

Before I leave this:
Sharing can be a song you heard which reminded you of ------. Or possibly that you may be having difficulty fingering a particular chord. There are people on this forum who jump to share their knowledge; they wait in anticipation ready to help. Ya know it feels great when you help someone!!

John as to your post; nice and Boooooo. (Grin)
You wrote: “I have to agree with you that the owners of the KN7000 who are actually musicians, and not 'players' are definitely hanging on to their KN7000's” I consider a musician someone who is actively playing each week and not an occasional job. I say this because of our age an active playing schedule is no longer possible. . Visit some other forums where there are younger active musician and their conversation is different.

For me I love this forum because of the respectful gentle ways we deal with each other. If not I would say, “John you really don’t know what you’re talking about”. No, no, Joke, Joke!!!!

I owned Yamaha keyboards for eight years and found their OTS to nice but not great. The Kn7 is friendly – easy to work with. I feel the reason why we differ on this subject is that we are different; if we all had the same method of solving and working we would all own the same make keyboard.

My suggestion : When a statement is made we should back it up with criteria we use to make that statement it would help us to understand.

Wow – a lot of words, but fun to write, John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online