SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#331176 - 09/02/11 02:23 PM An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Last year back in November, I posted this thread with pics, of how I utilize my Apple iPad with my Tyros 4 keyboard. Since then I discovered an even better very simple and inexpensive ipad stand setup to better secure the iPad on the Tyros 4, and also further protect both the iPad and Keyboard from getting scratched or damaged.

Fully Ajustable Three Wire (with protective plastic coating) Display stand for books, cookware, electronics; Set of 2 - Black. cost: $7.95.

This light as a feather stand is extrtemely versatile for viewing the iPad just about anywhere in either landscape or portrait mode and at any angle, but better yet it works great for viewing music atop my Tyros 4 keyboard as well. It's fully coated in plastic to reduce any possibility of scratching either the T4 or the iPad as well as the plastic keeps the stand from sliding as well. I highly recommend this stand and use it exclusively for all my iPad stand needs.

The iPad typically sits next to me when I perform and easily & conveniently with one hand, placed on and off the stand at will, whenever I want to view the T4's screen. cool

Here are pics I took of my iPad with stand setup on my Tyros 4 keyboard, shown in both portrait and landscape modes.

Portrait Mode:

Attachments
IMG_01 (Small).JPG

IMG_02 (Small).JPG

#331177 - 09/02/11 02:28 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Landscape Mode:

Attachments
IMG_03 (Small).JPG

IMG_04 (Small).JPG

#331183 - 09/02/11 04:13 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hey Scott , what app are you using for notation software ?

Also , do you know if it is iPad only ?

As you know I`m a Mac user and I`m looking for a notation program that will have the music staff , but allow me to add notes / codas / 1st & 2nd endings , you know , that sort of thing.

But I don`t need some over the top program , just a basic program that will allow me to make my own lead sheets.

Many thanks , and have fun with your T-4 , I`m looking for the T-7 !! , maybe by then Yamaha will have Mac supported software !! LOL laugh

Gary

#331206 - 09/03/11 12:40 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: jedi]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. I bought the same stand for £1 in a PoundLand shop here in the UK.

#331213 - 09/03/11 05:22 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Graham UK]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
If it works for you great. How do you see the keyboard screen?

I think the only way I could use a ipad is it would have to be really close to my face because of the small size. Isn't that a problem? Maybe not.

I had seen on another forum some time back there is an ipad X brace holder that the ipad snaps into. It will fit on a mic type stand. I had considered that. It seemed like the base of the mic stand would fit behind and underneath the keyboard screen while the screen was up. Then you could see the keyboard screen and the ipad at the same time.

The other thing for me is since Michael Bedesem has created the Open Text software that allow you to save the pdf in a way that you choose a registration button which brings up all your settings on the keyboard and brings up the pdf in one step, I think I would miss that option.

#331220 - 09/03/11 08:14 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scott Langholff]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Scott, I use a gooseneck connected to the mic stand and an XClip iPad stand that allows me to bring the ipad in over the top of the keyboard screen, much closer than if you had it on the rack behind the screen.

#331222 - 09/03/11 11:17 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Would you like to show us a pic of that please Graham?

#331228 - 09/04/11 11:18 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
For those using regular 30mm X stands, you can go one better and get a boom attachment that slips into the back of the keyboard and attach the clip to it, assuming it has the standard mic threads.

I have one on the left stand support and another for my laptop stand on the right. It works great.

Bernie

#331232 - 09/04/11 12:27 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Bernie9]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Eddie, I'll take a photo on Tuesday when I'm back to work. How do I then show it in the thread?

Bernie, with a gooseneck attachment to the mic stand connection that will allow you to bring the screen closer you may have the ideal solution.

#331233 - 09/04/11 12:40 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Graham

There you go. Even better.

Bernie

#331249 - 09/05/11 02:50 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: PraiseTheLord]

OK thanks Graham.
As for attaching the pic to the thread, it seems that Scott Lee is the master of this........(I have never done it!)
cheers
Eddie

Edited by eddiefromrotherham (09/05/11 02:52 AM)
Edit Reason: so there's no confusion which Scott I mean! I added the surname..

#331272 - 09/05/11 12:46 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: eddiefromrotherham]

Oops! sorry Scott, yet another typo, but everyone already knew I meant Yee not Lee because everybody knows you.....
cheers
Eddie

#331283 - 09/05/11 07:39 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: PraiseTheLord
Eddie, I'll take a photo on Tuesday when I'm back to work. How do I then show it in the thread?

Graham,

You need to upload the photo to a website and store the photo.
Then go to that website, right click on the photo and copy the photo url link
On the SZ reply box is a button for "Enter An Image"
Paste the url image you previously uploaded into the pop up script prompt.

More info is available in the SZ FAQ at the top of the forum page

Tip: Use the Preview Post to see the result before posting. You may need to reduce the image size for a more pleasing result.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#331288 - 09/05/11 10:08 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: lahawk]
Scott Langholff Offline

Anyway, Scott, thanx for sharing this info. This is the kind of info we need here.

#331295 - 09/06/11 06:15 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scott Langholff]
montunoman Online   content

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff
How do you see the keyboard screen?

I think the only way I could use a ipad is it would have to be really close to my face because of the small size. Isn't that a problem? Maybe not.

Those have been my concerns too.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#331301 - 09/06/11 07:22 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Bernie9]
Tony Hughes Offline

Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#331307 - 09/06/11 08:16 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Tony Hughes]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

WOW ... those of you looking for a product like this can be part of its 'birth' ...

#331309 - 09/06/11 09:26 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
montunoman Online   content

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Maybe on the Tyros 5 a tablet divice will be included?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#331310 - 09/06/11 10:31 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: lahawk]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Thanks Larry, I uploaded the photo to flickr, tried to follow the instructions you gave, but the photo does not show in preview.

#331316 - 09/06/11 11:58 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
lahawk Offline

Perhaps for now you can just post the url link to the photo?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#331320 - 09/06/11 01:01 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: lahawk]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Here are the urls:

Front view

http://flic.kr/p/ajRoLz

Side view showing the gooseneck

http://flic.kr/p/ajRoLH

#331322 - 09/06/11 01:23 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: jedi]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: jedi
Hey Scott , what app are you using for notation software ? Also , do you know if it is iPad only ?
Hi Gary.
None currently for the iPad, though there's a FREE one I might possibly be interested in checking out: Scorio
The shots I posted of the lead sheet music on my iPad was simply a .PDF file displayed using the iPad app UnRealBook.

As far as a basic notation application software for creating leadsheet style notation on the Mac,
here's a link to some programs to consider.
Perhaps other members might add their experience and/or specific recommendations.

Scott smile

#331324 - 09/06/11 02:28 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx for the pics Graham. Do you suppose a desk type mic stand could be set behind the keyboard screen safely? Maybe somehow anchoring it to keep it there.

#331331 - 09/06/11 05:49 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scott Langholff]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Scott, I'm no engineer, but there's not much room behind the pa2x screen. I like the idea, though.

#331333 - 09/06/11 07:51 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Nice setup Graham.

(I've added your photos ...hope that's OK)

I heard there is a way to 'turn pages' with a foot switch...true?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#331340 - 09/06/11 09:50 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: lahawk]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Thanks Larry, getting the iPad closer makes all the difference to me!

I use the AirTurn Bluetooth footswitch, it's great!

#331343 - 09/07/11 12:27 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: lahawk]
Scott Langholff Offline

I use the Footime page turner.

#331347 - 09/07/11 03:45 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
Scott Langholff Offline

My guess with the popularity of the ipad type tablets that the Music Pad Pro company is in deep doo doo, unless they are going to come up with something new real quick.

#331348 - 09/07/11 04:21 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Thanks Larry, getting the iPad closer makes all the difference to me!

I use the AirTurn Bluetooth footswitch, it's great!

Well, my years-long search for a small 'teleprompter' appears to be pretty much complete. I'll have to test my mom's IPad to make sure I can read a lyric onstage. That bluetooth page turner has been a must-have quest.

I am thinking I would rather have a clip-on attachment for a mic stand rather than a stand-alone mic stand to hold the Ipad. But this is for playing guitar, not keyboard. I saw a mic stand adaptor on another thread, I hope that is available commercially.

I'm not locked into an Ipad. I might would rather have a tablet with a little larger screen. Hopefully, I can see the IPad well, as I could use it for general computing uses outside of being a teleprompter.

Fired up about all of this! As a songwriter with hundreds of songs, it's a problem!

#331356 - 09/07/11 06:43 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: PraiseTheLord]

Thanks for the pics Graham.
I now know what the setup is ( a picture is worth a thousand words!)
In my own case, as a home hobbyist, I have just ordered a second keyboard stand which has extra 2 tiers.
On this i will settle a second pc monitor connected to the main pc monitor and get the fake books etc via Igigbook and I-tune software.
Hope it works for me
cheers
Eddie

#331368 - 09/07/11 11:57 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Scott, Freehand Systems are out of the MPP business apart from support, I believe.

#331379 - 09/07/11 03:47 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Best wishes Eddie on your project. Be sure to post a photo or url if you have a problem (like me) when you have it installed.

#331383 - 09/07/11 05:45 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scott Langholff]
Scottyee Offline

How do you see the keyboard screen?
Hi ScottL: smile
When I'm actually performing a song I 'don't need' to see the Tyros 4 screen. The song's settings are already stored conveniently in registration, or stored in music finder and called via OTS 1-4 buttons. All auto acomp arranger buttons are also freely accessible without needing to see the LCD screen. When I finish performing a song, I simply lift the lightweight iPad off the stand (with one hand cool ) and set it to the side next to me, to reveal the Tyros 4 screen to navigate and call up the next song stored in reg or MusicFinder, and even while the wire stand remains sitting on the Tyros 4, as it doesn't much block the kb screen's view-ability.

I think the only way I could use a ipad is it would have to be really close to my face because of the small size. Isn't that a problem?
With the iPad situated in front closer than even the Tyros 4 LCD screen, I have no problem whatsoever viewing lyrics & chords, or lead sheet style charts because it's at a distance much closer than even a paper leadhseet chart on a traditional music stand would be, which imho makes up for it's smaller than 8-1/2 x 11 inch screen size. The iPad's super BRIGHT and Sharp display also helps compensate for it's smaller screen size as well, to make it imo, the idea music display device especially for a Yamaha Tyros keyboard, as it's dimensions are so close to the the size of the full Tyros 4 display screen to appear integrated with the keyboard onstage.

I had seen on another forum some time back there is an ipad brace holder that the ipad snaps into. It will fit on a mic type stand. Then you could see the keyboard screen and the ipad at the same time.
This setup is similar to what I had when I used the MusicPad Pro unit. The problem with this approach is the classic "music stand" becoming an audience distraction. With the smaller lightweight iPad situated in 'front' of the the Tyros 4 tilt screen, it's very easy to see yet never becomes a distraction between you and the audience.

Ok, here are the reasons I opted (when performing on my Tyros 4) to go with the KISS (keep it simple approach) wire screen :

1. Setup Simplicity
2. Ease of operation
3. Lightweight portability
4. Idea screen size for minimal stage distraction
5. Cheap (under $5 & rugged too)

JMO of course.

ScottY smile

#331391 - 09/08/11 02:05 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx Scott for the good answers/review.

#331431 - 09/09/11 11:16 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: PraiseTheLord]

Best wishes Eddie on your project. Be sure to post a photo or url if you have a problem (like me) when you have it installed.

I have an immediate problem frown

The new 2 tier stand I ordered came yesterday......unfortunately, I hadn't realised that it is a single-X model, not double-X.
which means it is sooo unstable, in fact it rocks! (not quite like I do)
So I look like reverting to PlanB..don't know what that is yet .

#331432 - 09/09/11 11:22 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
Tony Hughes Offline

Eddie,

I've got some old plates.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#331440 - 09/09/11 02:34 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I've been using the iPad app "UnRealBook" for a few weeks right now. It is GREAT! You can use it to control the sheet music on other "slave" ipads -- so its great for a band leader.

#331450 - 09/10/11 12:53 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Tony Hughes]

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Eddie,

I've got some old plates.

Tony

grin Thanks Tony . I already tried some !
They don't work....
cheers

#331565 - 09/13/11 07:18 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Tony Hughes]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL

Has anyone purchased this Elastik iPad Holder yet?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#331570 - 09/14/11 02:37 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: kbrkr]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Al,
Last year I purchased the iKlip

It was a decent solution. I just picked up the the xClip with the goose neck extension. It is a much better solution. I like that the iPad can be placed and removed from the holder much easier than than the iKlip. I did look at the Elastick last year, but decided against it in favor of the iKlip.

#331571 - 09/14/11 05:04 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Stephenm52]
kbrkr Offline

Hey Steve, like minds think alike. I was also looking at the xClip with the Gooseneck attachment. I think this is what Graham uses according to his photos.

Do you find it holds the iPad securely?

Hope all is well; long time no talk!

#331572 - 09/14/11 05:25 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: kbrkr]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Hey Steve, like minds think alike. I was also looking at the xClip with the Gooseneck attachment. I think this is what Graham uses according to his photos.

Do you find it holds the iPad securely?

Hope all is well; long time no talk!

Al, The set up I bought is the same one Graham uses , no pun intended grin but for me it's "the goose that laid the golden egg". It does hold the iPad securely.

I've been out of circulation for last few months, lots of life transitions have been keeping me busy and have less free time than I would like. Hope life is treating you well in Tampa!

#331574 - 09/14/11 06:38 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Stephenm52]
PraiseTheLord Offline

As usual Steven, you and I think alike (scary for you :-)). I often pop the iPad out and stand and speak using the iPad for my notes, either holding it in my hand or resting it on a podium or music stand. It is easy, and then when I'm done I sit down at the keyboard, pop it back in and I'm off playing and singing again.

#331575 - 09/14/11 07:15 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Stephen

Thanks for the Xclip tip. To me this is the perfect solution.
It's made for a mic stand, so it can be height adjusted, along with easy and fast angle position. And at less than $40 the price is right. I can see why it's slightly more convenient that the iclip

Note that Xclip has two different models for both the iPad and iPad2 and the 13" gooseneck clip is a $7 extra

Good find. I've added the Xclip link to go along with your iclip link.

(I'm Still looking for a universal holder that can be ajusted to fit any and all e-readers.)

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#331579 - 09/14/11 09:16 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: lahawk]
kbrkr Offline

Larry,

I'm not a guitar player, but I often wondered how that configuration works if your playing guitar and your singing 1 inch away from the Microphone and have to look down to see Chords/Lyrics on the iPad. with the iPad being so close to your body can you actually see it?

Steve: Life Transitions? Yikes that sounds either exciting or scary. I hope everything is for the better. Life is good down here in the Sunshine state. Can't say I miss NY that much. I guess your plans to come down are still on hold. Are you at least still gigging?

#331585 - 09/14/11 12:05 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: kbrkr]
Stephenm52 Offline

Larry,

Steve: Life Transitions? Yikes that sounds either exciting or scary. I hope everything is for the better. Life is good down here in the Sunshine state. Can't say I miss NY that much. I guess your plans to come down are still on hold. Are you at least still gigging?

Al, I'm still gigging but cut back a little and all I can say the last 6 months have been one helluva ride!! Check your e-mail.

Larry, glad to have given you valuable feedback.

#331589 - 09/14/11 05:26 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
Larry,

Al, I'm still gigging but cut back a little and all I can say the last 6 months have been one helluva ride!! Check your e-mail.

Larry, glad to have given you valuable feedback.

Steve ... nice to know you are still 'lurking' about ... hope things are going well for you and Deb ...
t.

#331592 - 09/14/11 07:57 PM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: kbrkr]
lahawk Offline

Larry,
I'm not a guitar player, but I often wondered how that configuration works if your playing guitar and your singing 1 inch away from the Microphone and have to look down to see Chords/Lyrics on the iPad. with the iPad being so close to your body can you actually see it?

Al, very good point, and after re-evaluating, you're correct, the mic and ipad appear to be too close together.

Perhaps that's where the available 13" gooseneck would be helpful?

Or maybe the iKlip is a better ipad holder for use with a boom mic as shown below:

Something to think about, depending on how you like your setup to be.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#331594 - 09/15/11 04:04 AM Re: An iPad Stand for viewing music on Tyros 4 [Re: kbrkr]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Larry,

I'm not a guitar player, but I often wondered how that configuration works if your playing guitar and your singing 1 inch away from the Microphone and have to look down to see Chords/Lyrics on the iPad. with the iPad being so close to your body can you actually see it?...

Most guitar players are not going to use a stand with no offset. You need room between the vertical part of the stand and you and the guitar. You have to use a boom mic stand or a gooseneck extension or something that accomplishes that. If I were to use a mic stand with no offset, I would be leaning in to sing and would not last many songs without back strain.

As for your question, I have a similar concern and that is to reduce the amount of real estate of my body and guitar that an Ipad would block from the audience. Not good, visually. I envision that you could use an even smaller device than the Ipad if it were clamped closer to you. Think about a trumpet player in a marching band with the music stand about a foot away from his eyes. A happy medium might be possible. With a smaller device. Or maybe an Ipad will work. It would be angled down a bit, so, that lessens the amount of space it blocks from the audience's perspective, effectively, reducing the width of the Ipad.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online