SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#329086 - 07/18/11 06:26 PM Yamaha Releases PSR S-650 at SUMMER NAMM
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
This is the only new Yamaha Arranger Keyboard I believe will be released at the NAMM show later this week. There is a press release which I just received from Yamaha and I'm copying it here for all to see. This model will replace the current PSR-S550. I've seen a picture of the new model and it looks almost identical to the old model. I think the biggest difference is being able to use Yamaha available sound downloads. The first one being made available I've heard is a latin one. A friend of mine here in LA was working on authentic South American Styles.

"NASHVILLE—Yamaha Keyboard Division unveils the PSR-S650 arranger keyboard at
Summer NAMM 2011. Featuring FlashROM Expansion, the entry-level PSR-S650 now
offers MegaVoice enhanced Styles found on higher-end Yamaha arrangers.
A great "first serious keyboard" for adult performers and keyboard enthusiasts
alike, the PSR-S650 can load sample data like Voices, drums and percussion and make it
instantly available in FlashROM without reloading at each power-up. Styles with
MegaVoices make non-keyboard instrument Voices (like guitars and basses) sound
authentic using musical articulation previously not playable from black & white keys.
The PSR-S650 internal FlashROM Expansion can store up to 16MB of sample
data, which is great for augmenting the existing set of 864 internal sounds with your own.
The keyboard also offers 181 built-in Styles ready to perform with players when writing
songs or just jamming. You can also play in custom tunings, like Arabic or Pythagorean,
using one of the nine preset scales—or create your own.
Users can record songs or their performances during jam sessions to the built-in
16-track sequencer and use the PSR-S650's USB TO DEVICE port to store songs, Styles
and custom registrations on a flash drive. Create custom Styles by mixing and matching
parts and sections from the internal Styles. The USB TO HOST port connects to your
computer and the PSR-S650can be used as a 64-note, multi-timbral tone generator.
PSR-S650
“Building on the success of the PSR-S550B, we've packed the new PSR-S650
with great new content for just about any style of musician,” says Dane Madsen, Yamaha
Electronic Keyboard Marketing Manager. “With its excellent, built-in ethnic content and
the ability to load 3rd party or custom samples, this product is ideally suited to the
expanding world music and international markets. Its cutting-edge electronic Style
content means that there’s plenty for western musicians to sink their teeth into as well. ”
Electronic Keyboard Product Manager Nate Tschetter added, “The PSR-S650's
built-in FlashROM Expansion is an excellent feature at this price. Load your samples into
memory once, and they remain there even when you turn the instrument off. This is a
great way to build your own "always there" set of sounds and augment the already
substantial built-in Voice library.
The PSR-S650 (MSRP: $649) "
(Retired 2021)

#329097 - 07/18/11 08:48 PM Re: Yamaha Releases PSR S-650 at SUMMER NAMM [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
George,

Thanks for the report on the new S650

Not a bad entry keyboard at a decent price.

However...

There may be some dissapointed Yamaha users who are expecting much more at Summer NAMM 2011
...like maybe an S950

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#329159 - 07/19/11 01:52 PM Re: Yamaha Releases PSR S-650 at SUMMER NAMM [Re: George Kaye]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
So now the s650 has a feature that the s910 does not.
I'm still have hope for the s950 in 1 days time smile

#329161 - 07/19/11 01:54 PM Re: Yamaha Releases PSR S-650 at SUMMER NAMM [Re: lahawk]
Artaher Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain

Edited by Artaher (07/19/11 01:58 PM)

#329162 - 07/19/11 02:14 PM Re: Yamaha Releases PSR S-650 at SUMMER NAMM [Re: George Kaye]
Beakybird Offline

It doesn't look good for the S950 frown. That press kit looks like Yamaha's summer Namm offerings. But maybe tomorrow will prove us pessimists wrong.

#329169 - 07/19/11 03:48 PM Re: Yamaha Releases PSR S-650 at SUMMER NAMM [Re: George Kaye]
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
On the bright side - when the 950 does show up, it'll probably have the new features included in the 650 - and maybe more. I'm patiently waiting and saving up the bucks until then.

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#329189 - 07/19/11 09:32 PM Re: Yamaha Releases PSR S-650 at SUMMER NAMM [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
"4:18 PM New for SNAMM 2011 from Yamaha Arranger Workstation Keyboards"
This is the email topic I received this afternoon from inside sales Yamaha and when opened up the email it was just the introduction of the new PSRS-650. Not a thing about any other arrangers. It did say price is still unknown although I see a price on the press release I attached here yesterday. The inside sales made it seem like the price would be the same as the PSRS-550B which has a MAP of $749 and a retail of $999. It also says delivery to begin in the fall. Just like the PSRS-550B there is still no seperate stereo outputs, just a combination Headphone/Output single jack.
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online