SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#328462 - 07/10/11 10:20 AM THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT!
Keyboardcapers Offline

Loc: England
Listen to the pro-players on the circuit and at the festivals and ask yourself what they are doing to foster continuing interest in keyboard entertainment for future generation?

Its not as though there aren’t plenty of ballads and other popular music pleasing to the ear of the next generation and the one after that.

So what should the leaders in the field of arranger keyboards could be doing to going forward?

#328491 - 07/11/11 08:02 AM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: Keyboardcapers]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I honestly don't think arranger keyboard awareness should be promoted. I think basic musicianship surpasses all technology lessons, and a skilled musician will find his/her niche with whatever tools are available at the time. The way digital gear goes in and out of style so quickly - I would never give someone dedicated lessons on button pushing, but I WOULD give them theory, harmony and phrasing advice.

Listen to the cartoons from the 50s and 60s - no sequencers, no loops, no arpeggiators ... 100% HUMAN-powered notes - TV themes like the Jetsons and Popeye would cripple most college level music students today. I embrace technology, but I encourage musicianship.

With THAT said - I do think there should be basic synth lessons available to those who buy newer keyboards. They can be quite confusing, and a little help can provide a lot of enjoyment. I hate to think that instruments are being sold to people with the label that "no music skills are required". It's all in the nomenclature, really ... arrangers, workstations, organs, synths, pianos, control pads ... they're all tools for the musician.

Music is what we should be pushing to the future generations, not beats, loops and samples. It'll be a real shame when all the musicianship atrophies, and the ones left to fill the "gigs" are glorified DJs. (sorry - TURNTABLISTS) heh, heh.
wink

#328493 - 07/11/11 08:38 AM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I honestly don't think arranger keyboard awareness should be promoted. I think basic musicianship surpasses all technology lessons, and a skilled musician will find his/her niche with whatever tools are available at the time. The way digital gear goes in and out of style so quickly - I would never give someone dedicated lessons on button pushing, but I WOULD give them theory, harmony and phrasing advice.

Listen to the cartoons from the 50s and 60s - no sequencers, no loops, no arpeggiators ... 100% HUMAN-powered notes - TV themes like the Jetsons and Popeye would cripple most college level music students today. I embrace technology, but I encourage musicianship.

With THAT said - I do think there should be basic synth lessons available to those who buy newer keyboards. They can be quite confusing, and a little help can provide a lot of enjoyment. I hate to think that instruments are being sold to people with the label that "no music skills are required". It's all in the nomenclature, really ... arrangers, workstations, organs, synths, pianos, control pads ... they're all tools for the musician.

Music is what we should be pushing to the future generations, not beats, loops and samples. It'll be a real shame when all the musicianship atrophies, and the ones left to fill the "gigs" are glorified DJs. (sorry - TURNTABLISTS) heh, heh.
wink

I haven't been posting lately, but I have to "AMEN" something that so perfectly reflects my own views on the subject. Nicely stated.

chas

#328494 - 07/11/11 08:45 AM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave is right (damn, I hate to admit that LOL). I'm just thinking back when I started playing. No arrangers...no monitors...no vocal effects...no full range amplifiers. Limited choices on portable keyboards (think Hammond M, B-3, etc).

Then, as it is now, musicians adapt to the market and the available equipment/technology.

The challenge, I think, is to use technology as a talent enhancer, not a crutch. An arranger won't let a poor player sound great. A great player will sound fabulous on whatever keyboard he chooses.

The constants are change and ability.

Russ

#328496 - 07/11/11 09:13 AM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: Keyboardcapers]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Keyboardcapers

So what should the leaders in the field of arranger keyboards could be doing to going forward?

It depends on the meaning of "going forward".

Personally I find that arranger popularity tends to regional, both in the context of a single country and the world in general, but I will limit most of my views to my area.

Here in Atlantic Canada, which has tremendous sales in the more traditional musical instruments (guitars, piano-acoustic and digital, violin, wind instruments etc.) and has a history steeped in many kinds of music, as diverse as jazz to Celtic, arrangers (and arranger sales) are alive and very well. The general view towards music is very open-minded, and progressive, while still embracing traditional music.

We heavily support arranger keyboards; promotion and education in regards to these instruments is paramount to their success, and the profits from these instruments tend to be higher than the other keyboards such as digital pianos, organs and synths.

In my experience, sales of Yamaha arrangers have increased, and, even during the recession, they remained at a very healthy level. Recently, on our own Synth Zone, we see several members buying new TOTL arrangers.

In my area, Atlantic Canada, we provide demonstrations, clinics, follow-up clinics, and other forms of promotion and education, so the market is very healthy.

If I expand a bit, arranger sales are also higher in certain parts of Europe, usually those which have a more open-minded view regarding instruments, and music education.

Arrangers are not a "dying market", and sales have slowly been increasing each year, in my experience.

Bottom line?

If you are in the business of selling arrangers, then you owe it to yourself, and the instrument, to provide clinics and promotions that will make the potential customer aware of how powerful, versatile, and FUN this amazing instrument is to the contemporary keyboard player.

Ian

#328501 - 07/11/11 10:53 AM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: Keyboardcapers]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i think that its one of those conversations that will just run and run. If you have an interst in being a better musician then any instrument if you apply yourself too it can become the tool for you to help express your talent whethre thats an arranger , workstation or banjo. The arranger market is largely untapped but we are already seeing a proliferation of arrangeresque workstations coming to the market and helping musicians and song writers develope their craft. This trend will continue and more and more musicians will find creative ways of using their instruments workstations and arrangers. If anything defines a musician its creativity.

#328502 - 07/11/11 11:10 AM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: spalding1968]
Tony Hughes Offline

Ian's bottom line says it all, don't you agree UD (Uncle Dave)?? dance guitar drums keys organ
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#328505 - 07/11/11 12:39 PM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: Tony Hughes]
Tony Hughes Offline

Uncle Dave,

We are the dying, breed,you and me, kb will still be around when we have long gone. coffee go and have a nice cup of tea.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#328509 - 07/11/11 01:56 PM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

Uncle Dave,

We are the dying, breed,you and me, kb will still be around when we have long gone. coffee go and have a nice cup of tea.

Well since you now have the awesome Tyros4 in your hot little hands, Tony, you will at least die happy.

How are you enjoying it Tony?

I'm still on the honeymoon with mine.

Ian

#328512 - 07/11/11 02:29 PM Re: THE DYING MARKET……OR IS IT! [Re: Keyboardcapers]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'd like to add an opinion.
I use an arranger out of necessity and laziness. I used to play multiple keyboards and bass pedals in a trio. We kicked butt. changes came along and then it was me and the drummer, two pieces and we still kicked butt. Drummer leaves for Florida, tried some new ones, none could fit in like he did so I went to a drum machine. Used it for a long time along with two keyboards and pedals. Got interested in arrangers and said "why am I working so hard dragging all this stuff around and no one cares. Began using an arranger and bit the bullet and started DJ-ing along with it. Sorry but I just couldn't hack trying to do the "Electric Slide" live.
So here I am ,still trying to push the live keyboard/vocals but the DJ thing is what they want. When I do do the live thing I get great response but then its on to the next party. Recently did a Bridal Shower brunch and they loved the live thing. Got booked for the Wedding cocktail hour, My favorite is doing a cocktail hour on a good piano, people love it because its new to most of them. If I could I would go backwards and do the keyboard/vocal/bass pedal thing again. It was the most fun. But bottom line its the public that dictated the business. Many many acts I see today are just Kareoke backrounds and live vocals and it sells. So arranger and backround MP3 players will continue to sell
to those who want to have fun on their own or try to sell live music without a band.
Just my $.02

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online