Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#327119 - 06/24/11 08:33 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: hammer

I sold the BK-7M for the following reasons:
1. I found it added to rather than lessened my setup time on gigs
2. Most of the assigned OTS voices, which can't be changed then saved, were not to my liking and frankly did not fit well the style they were assigned to.
3. It was very time consuming doing just the very simple things on it - even after you learned how. For example, to simply audition styles and delete those not wanted you had to copy the styles onto a computer, play the style on the module, but delete the style from the copy on a computer, then reload everything back onto the thumb drive. What idiot designed that part of the OS???

I found the OS to be very hard to use and not finished.

It has many bugs reported by users all over the world - check the BK-7M users group and the Roland Arranger BK-7M forum.

I believe Roland rushed the product to market in order to announce it at NAMM. There is not an editor program available, that works, for the thing so everything must be done on the module. One of the owners makes adjustments to styles on his E50 then transfers them to the BK-7M - what kind of a deal is that? Not everyone who buys the module has another Roland keyboard to use as an editor.

Just my thoughts.
Deane

Thanks Deane. I knew that you finally did get it up and running, and I must commend you for your patience.

The reasons you sold it were basically the same reasons the three owners, I met with, returned theirs.

One was using a Roland RA-90, which the BK-7M was to replace, but he told me that the latter was many steps behind the former for ease of use/setup, although it did sound better (which made it even more frustrating).

I hope they fix all the reported bugs with another OS upgrade, and perhaps learn from what they've done and produce a BK-?? that will at least have the ease of use found with their older modules. I too, had a Roland RA-90, and I thought it was terrific.

My plan was to use the BK-7M with a lightweight digital piano, but since it was even hard to use with a dedicated (and TOTL) Roland controller, I'm afraid that with the piano, things would have been far worse.

Thanks again for your very honest and complete reply.

Ian

#327124 - 06/24/11 09:53 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: DonM]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: DonM
The Pianist mode works fine in full keyboard mode. It doesn't work correctly in split mode, where you use a sustain pedal to hold the chord until you decide to change.
I was assured by Roland US that it would be corrected. That's all I know. I use it on one song out of my repertoire so I can easily work around it.
DonM

Thanks... that's not so bad...I thought it was a more serious pianist mode problem, although it does need to be fixed. I doubt if I would ever use the Pianist other than full keyboard anyway.

Is there anything else you can tell us about the latest updates? Any new sounds patches, styles, etc.?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#327219 - 06/25/11 07:36 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As far as I can tell, the new styles and drum kits in it were all things I wouldn't use, like Oriental stuff.
There may have been some other things, but I hadn't had it long enough to know what was or wasn't there before.
DonM

#327221 - 06/25/11 07:43 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

I wish there were MORE You Tube demo videos on the BK7m from users.

#327224 - 06/25/11 08:13 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bill, I just might be persuaded to part with my BK7m for that B3 you've been trying to unload for the last decade. Heck, I might even throw in a mint A70 (and/or A33) controller to go with it. As a bonus I could throw in, oh let's see, a Motif ES module, a Tyros II, a PA1x Pro. I could substitute a Fantom G7 for the Tyros and PA1x Pro. I would rent a truck and pick it up myself (wouldn't happen to have one of those 2 ton strap-on Oak dollies by any chance, would you?). I assume it comes with a Leslie, right?

BTW, did that Tour Deluxe ever figure out whether it wants to be a tourer or a cruiser? smile smile Just kidding. Nice bike......but stop by my place and I'll fix you up with a REAL bike (Multistrada, Aprilia, Triumph Triple 1050, Concours 1400, Burgman 650, Kymco x500, Honda CH80, Electric Moped, 18 speed, and recumbent exercise bike - the latter in like-new condition smile .

The BK7m is as new. Sounds excellent, I even found 2 styles that I like smile .

chas

#327226 - 06/25/11 08:31 AM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Chas

Thanks, your bike comments made me smile this morning. The Royalstar is a bada** cruiser/ tourer right out of the box. No mechanical mods needed except drilling the pipes for a little sound and air flow. I just added some shiny stuff and ride it. I'm a big guy so its the best bike for me. Those others sound way too exotic HA!

The B3 now sits in a high end piano/stereo store here in Rahway NJ. The owner has some good NYC connections so things are looking up for a good deal. He just sold a $50,000 rebuilt Steinway to someone in NY and is the seller of the Rahway Arts Districts' $90,000 Fazoli Grand. Caused quite an uproar in a blue collar town !

The B3 is a Showroom MINT 1959 Cherrywood with a perfectly matched Lesiie. Leslie is totally rebuilt, Trek II string bass and Fischer Reverb in the organ and of course all new tubes in both. Custom quitled covers and yes, I have the Roll or Carry dollies left over from my business. Bring the Bk7m and fill your truck up with cash HA!
Shoot me an email and lets talk Billlewisnj@aol.com

#327254 - 06/25/11 02:41 PM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Those others sound way too exotic HA!

What do mean "exotic". I'll have you know that I have a great time riding them back and forth to the shop (especially the Ducati) smile smile . I'll email you this weekend after I 'consult' with my wife. Actually, she doesn't care what I buy as long as it goes into my studio. But I want to put the/a B3 in the rec room (where she's still making peace with the 82" 3D TV I just installed in there smile ). Plus, she knows I want to swap out the Yamaha console in the living room for a small Grand. Then, of course, there'd be the (divorce) lawyer's fee smile . My main concern though, is that (like you) I'll probably be downsizing from our current 7000 sq.ft. house to probably something much samller, like maybe @ 2500 sq.ft in a few years. I already know that my kids would not want these two large pieces so it could be an expensive, short-lived experience. It's just that I've been wanting to get another 'B' every since I unloaded the cut down one I had in Hawaii.........plus, I'm a sucker for a REALLY GOOD DEAL smile .

chas

Edited by cgiles (06/25/11 02:43 PM)

#327285 - 06/25/11 10:25 PM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Dnj
the few people I Know that have had the BK7m Uncle Dave, Deane have now sold them for many reasons........ I'd seriously try one before you buy it...

http://www.roland-arranger.com/

I have three new clients, who went from buying, trying (and returning)a BK-7M, and then purchasing a Yamaha PSR-S910, and two PSR-S710.

The main reason for returning the module was that it was not user friendly, and required a lot of time, effort, foot switches, and, although it sounded very good and had some excellent styles, it apparently was just not worth the effort. Some had them for several weeks, and were still not able to get it to work as needed.

Ian

DonM.

The SZ High Court

In the Case of BK7M - v - Yamaha PSR-S910.

Was not Ian just stating it as it was from someone else’s experience, the 3 people who returned their BK7M said “it was not user friendly” Ian was just stated a fact what other had . He also said it sounded very good and some excellent styles, isn’t this is what SZ is all about everyone’s slant on things. You have an Audya and I have one two, I can tell you all the faults now and if I try to compare the Audya with the T4 I think the T4 will blow away the Audya in certain areas (too many areas too). For instance if I wanted a full blown orchestral sound for a powerful waltz the Audya can’t deliver the goods and a powerful ballad Audya just does have one, we were seduced by the Audya but it is limited. I would not mind but the three people Ian talks about did not even buy Yami flagship they bought Yamaha PSR-S910. Don, I think Ian gives us his slant on the module for other to listen or bin and go and buy it or not, that my 10p. Had the three people who returned their BK7M been members of SZ we might have got this from them. I don’t know the BK7M and have no inclination I have enough problems trying to play what I’ve got, I just take all what people have got to say and I think Ian is near enough to the pointed end of the ship for me to listen to when he shouts ICEBERG!

It’s nice to see you back even though you said you were off on one like Donny, I know SZ is infectious you just can’t bear not to peek even after you are dammed your not coming back. My wife said we are load of old W…….ers, she sat and read some of the threads, looks in the office at me tying away and calls me one too and I let here, perhaps she’s right I am one!

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to wean yourselves off SZ Don and Donny is to get Nigel to ban you (not the best method), but it won’t stop you looking in, it might even make you worse and be more frustrating it would be like a toffee or candy shop with the ones you want on the top shelf and you can’t reach. I think if we had to pay £5 a month to be on SZ most would be gone. There’s a BBC TV program called MOANING OLD GITS my wife says it’s SZ all over!

Why can’t we just be nice to each other, have some fun on the way by all means, we don’t need to call each other what my wife call you and me! Just my thoughts for the day it’s Sunday here in UK.

Tony Hughes [Defence Attorney acting on Behalf of Ian Yamaha]

Edited by Tony Hughes (06/25/11 10:32 PM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#328089 - 07/04/11 09:54 PM Re: Any updates from BK7M users? [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Don,
thanks for the info on the BK-7m.

I just joined the Yahoo group you mentioned, may come in handy.

[quote=DonM]I haven't posted in a couple of months but I will answer this one.
I love the BK-7m.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online