SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#32769 - 05/24/07 12:15 PM SD2 - 32 Midi-channels ???
Ketron User Offline

Hello AJ, Hello All,

I have both the SD2. On the specifications, there is mentioned that the unit can recieve on 32 Midi channels. This is one of the reasons i both the SD2.
But i can only find one MIDI IN ! So, how can the SD2 be able to play on 32 Midi Channels with only one MIDI IN connection ???

Thanks.
Ketron User.

#32770 - 05/24/07 11:56 PM Re: SD2 - 32 Midi-channels ???
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It usually depends on what your controller keyboard can output,
E.g. My Abacus has 3 outputs per each physical Midi Output, (Manuals, Accompaniment (Styles) and Sequencer.) therefore I could set the 16 track Sequencer to the first 16 channels of the SD 2 and the Acc and/or Manuals to the remaining 16.
Hope this helps

Bill

#32771 - 05/26/07 07:56 AM Re: SD2 - 32 Midi-channels ???
Ketron User Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
therefore I could set the 16 track Sequencer to the first 16 channels of the SD 2 and the Acc and/or Manuals to the remaining 16.

Hello Bill,

Thanks for Your reply.

I use the SD2 together with my Abacus-Pro.
I made a Extern-Midi-1 Bank with 128 GM-voices of the SD2. I use a lot of converted Ketron-styles, and with the Extern-Midi-1 sounds, they sound awesome, just like the original.
So the accompaniment plays with the sounds of the SD2. Therefore, i have attached the Abacus Midi Out 1 to the SD2 Midi In .
Now i also want to play the other sounds from the SD2 on the manuals of the Abacus. Therefore, i need another Midi In on the SD2, to play the other 16 Midi-channels.
But there is only one Midi-In on the SD2, so how can the SD2 plays on 32 Midi-channels when there is only one Midi-IN ???
All the other Ketron instruments (MS-series, X-series, SD-series, XD-series) have 2 Midi-In sockets, and are able to play with 32 Midichannels. 16 Midichannels with Midi-In 1, and again 16 Midichannels with Midi-In 2.
But the SD2-module has only one Midi-in !

I think, Ketron is misleading the customers here !

Best regards,
Carlo.

[This message has been edited by Ketron User (edited 05-26-2007).]

#32772 - 05/26/07 08:57 AM Re: SD2 - 32 Midi-channels ???
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Carlo
The second set of Midi channels are accessed through system exclusive data, (Look at the Midi port setting in the back of the SD 2 instruction manual) however you can normally access them using the LSB setting in Edit Midi Voices. (You will need to experiment here) Do not confuse this with the MSB command. (This is just for the voice banks)
If you just want the SD 2 for the styles and manuals, then you do not need more then 15 channels, just assign Midi 1 Out manuals to channels 1 – 7 (Wersichord has its own channel) and the Styles to channels 9 – 16. (Use the Sound setting not the Standard setting on Midi Manual 1 Out)
It is then just a simple case of using Quickload, Sounds and choosing the External 1 sound group. (You can also map the voices if you require)
Please be aware that the SD2 has considerably less polyphony then the Abacus, so this will limit the number of sounds it will be able to play simultaneously.
Hope this helps

Bill

#32773 - 05/27/07 10:37 AM Re: SD2 - 32 Midi-channels ???
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Carlo
I wanted to do the same thing,i.e. playing multi-timbrally using the SD2 to play sequence sounds(like your styles), and accessing it also for straight sounds. Bill tried to help me, but I coudn't figure it out. I ended up buying another SD2, but that is because I haven't Bill's technical knowledge.

The result, however, is great.

Bernie

#32774 - 05/27/07 10:59 PM Re: SD2 - 32 Midi-channels ???
Ketron User Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
The second set of Midi channels are accessed through system exclusive data, (Look at the Midi port setting in the back of the SD 2 instruction manual)

Hello Bill,

You are right, the second set of Midichannels are indead accessed by Sysex.

But i think to have the solution for my problem : a MidiMerger.

I need the Midi-Ext 1 Bank for the 128 GMvoices, to play the accompaniment.
(Accompaniment plays on 8 channels, channel 9 to 16)
I need the Midi-Ext 2 bank to acces 128 other voices from the SD2 to play on the manuals.(Manuals plays on 8 channels, channel 1 to 8)

I can merge Midi Out 1 together with Midi Out 2, to one Midi Out, with a MidiMerger Box.

But, with a Polyphonie of only 48 voices, it is perhaps, like mentioned by Bernie, better to buy a second SD2.

Greetings from Belgium.

Carlo.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online