SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#327594 - 06/28/11 02:59 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: ianmcnll]
ptram Offline

Hi Ian & the Others,

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
there are some who feel the problem still exists for that one sound, DNC Real Violin. If the sound is held for more than approximately 4 seconds, there is a slight break in the tone/sample that shouldn't be there.

This break is the bow direction change. As soon as the end of the bow is reached, directions is changed, and there is a short dip in volume. This is how bowing happens in a real violin (hence the name of the sound).

In case you don't have a violin player to show you this phenomenon, please look at this interesting video I found on the web:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-do-smooth-legato-bow-change-for-violin-153683/

There are other Violin sounds in the same bank, with a shorter sample and a more uniform, looped sustaining phase. Maybe in some cases you might need something like this 'old-school' kind of sound.

Paolo
(Korg Italy)

Edited by ptram (06/28/11 03:03 PM)

#327595 - 06/28/11 03:08 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: rolandfan]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That's a GREAT feature. I wish some of the saxophones were like that, so I wouldn't forget to let my "sax man" take a breath.
Who says Korg doesn't listen to us. Thanks Paolo.
DonM

#327596 - 06/28/11 03:11 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: ptram]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ptram
Hi Ian & the Others,

there are some who feel the problem still exists for that one sound, DNC Real Violin. If the sound is held for more than approximately 4 seconds, there is a slight break in the tone/sample that shouldn't be there.

This break is the bow direction change. As soon as the end of the bow is reached, directions is changed, and there is a short dip in volume. This is how bowing happens in a real violin (hence the name of the sound).

In case you don't have a violin player to show you this phenomenon, please look at this interesting video I found on the web:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-do-smooth-legato-bow-change-for-violin-153683/

There are other Violin sounds in the same bank, with a shorter sample and a more uniform, looped sustaining phase. Maybe in some cases you might need something like this 'old-school' kind of sound.

Paolo
(Korg Italy)

Paolo,
Che era molto bella e istruttiva. Questo è il genere di cosa che aiuta tutti. Piuttosto che discutere tutte le SZ dovrebbero imparare gli uni dagli altri con cose come questa. Grazie per aver condiviso.

Edited by Dnj (06/28/11 03:41 PM)

#327600 - 06/28/11 03:34 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: ptram]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: ptram
Hi Ian & the Others,

Paolo
(Korg Italy)

Thank you for your excellent explanation, Paolo, and it is good to hear that the break is meant to be there, but to be fair, very few knew the reason.

I'm not sure if I'd want that in a sample (neither did Leigh), but I suppose there are other DNC violin sounds that do not have that break?

The reason for not wanting it, would be that on a real violin, the speed of the stroke, or how fast the bow was being drawn over the string, would therefore affect the direction change.

Is the timing (length) of the stroke change the same all the time, i.e. "fixed", or, can you assign it to (or vary it by) velocity or some other controller, like the joystick/footswitch etc.?

Also, can you use aftertouch to change bow direction?

Grazie,

Ian

#327605 - 06/28/11 04:10 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
That's a GREAT feature. I wish some of the saxophones were like that, so I wouldn't forget to let my "sax man" take a breath.
Who says Korg doesn't listen to us. Thanks Paolo.
DonM

I think that would be a great idea, Don, I often have the poor sax player doing circular breathing.

I think, however we might have the same deal as with DNC Real Violin, that is, if the bow direction time is fixed?

Depending on how slowly you draw the bow across the strings, the need to change direction will vary (my 2nd adopted Mum was a jazz violinist-I still have her fiddle)...I am fairly familiar with how to play it, although not as well as I'd like.

The Sax would present a similar problem, in that the harder you blow and the time between breaths (and the depth of the draw), will also affect the note length, so a fixed time wouldn't be all that helpful, in my opinion anyway.

I think the solution, at least for the wind instruments, would be a Breath Controller, such as that found on some Yamaha DX and VL synthesizers.

Fran mentioned one (MIDI Solutions?) that could control via MIDI, but, I not sure what parameters you would need to set in the sound to affect a realistic change.

I get around some issues by using a volume pedal for RH sounds only, but I still would like to have more control (there's never enough).

Do you still have your Audya?

Ian

#327635 - 06/29/11 01:54 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: ptram]
Magali Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hello Friends

No,
Tne problem of this sound was only the loop.
The loop is too long , it was the same time than the entire sample itself.
At the beginning of the sound , the pitch level increase a little and keep the sustain during 4 s about. At the end of the loop it rturn at the beginning of tht sample.
The end level of the sound is less strong and higher that the begin. We can hear a break but it is not a break.
It is the entire sample that is looped.
No problem with direction of the bow ;Do you think Korg make this sample work ? The bow in the two directions 4+ 4 s for an only wave ????
Korg can also make that with accordions hamonica etc

#327670 - 06/29/11 10:14 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: rolandfan]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I liked the fill ins on the pa3x. I did not
Like the intros on most styles unfortunately.
I can't get over that lambada style though. Playing
The lambada on the pa3x made my hair stand!!! From
There on the other styles were not suited to what I want
From an arranger. To me yamaha is making so much progress in
The quality of their sounds and styles that no company is even
Able to compete with them. I also don't like touchscreens.
I'm glad yamaha continue to stay away from them

#327671 - 06/29/11 10:16 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: rolandfan]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
However nobody can touch korg on their vocal harmony on
The pa3x and the indepth editing available. But these
Features are not important to me.

#327673 - 06/29/11 10:46 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: rolandfan]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: rolandfan

I also don't like touchscreens.
I'm glad yamaha continue to stay away from them

I don't like them either, and I'm very glad to see they've resisted putting one on the Tyros line.

Some people love them...I don't.

Ian

#327676 - 06/29/11 11:45 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: rolandfan]
Dnj Offline

So there you have it, one has what the other doesn't have ....
it's your pick?....unless you want to go and deal with an Audya & it's upside & downside also...or go module BK7m & controller, or even the Varranger & controller, or any of the past models that may work out better than any of the above mentioned? Or even use a Synth like the Kronos or MOxf great sounds and create your own backing styles using arpeggiators etc and play on top...lots of choices for the savy musician....good luck what will you choose?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online