SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#327151 - 06/24/11 03:22 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: JCkeeys]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes there is. You have to press the key for about 4 seconds and you will hear a error in the sample loop. Only the Real Violin DNC voice has this.

#327153 - 06/24/11 03:29 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: JCkeeys]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: JCkeeys
Ian ... There is no break in the sound on my KB. Sound is OK. Much better than the Pa2x.

Thanks JC...a friend on the Korg Forums told me about it.

I will get back to you about it, as apparently there are some who feel the problem still exists for that one sound, DNC Real Violin. If the sound is held for more than approximately 4 seconds, there is a slight break in the tone/sample that shouldn't be there. Maybe it is on only certain instruments, perhaps early production models?

I'm glad you are enjoying your PA3X...it is a fine instrument, and one the very best arrangers being made.

Congratulations and thanks for your reply.

Ian

#327185 - 06/24/11 09:28 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: Artaher]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Artaher
Hi, I am a home keyboardist, and I could compare Tyros and Pa3X last week here in Madrid. I Put here some impressions.
Korg keybed seemed much better, and touch screen was very comfortable and intuitive. Beside it, the tyros screen seemed outdated, but bigger and very clear.
Voices are good, but Tyros has better acoustical sounds (SA voices). Piano sound is imho better in Pa3x (and its better keybed helps in that opinion), but flutes, sax, etc. are better in tyros.
About styles, I really liked Korg styles, longer and richer than Tyros. Fills (now 4 fills) are more varied than tyros too. Multi Pads are very good. Unplugged styles are very beutiful ones.
A disapointmet for the Korg was about loading external styles. Tyros read styles directly from the flash drive, and so you may have thousands of styles ready to be used directly. But not is the same in Pa3x: external styles are usually grouped into sets (in Tyros styles are independent, not sets) and they must be loaded first on the keyboard. I seems to me a worse system, especially if you want to listen to many styles. It seems to me Roland does something similar (but not sets): styles must be first loaded into the keyboard and then they may be liestened or used (it was one of bad points of bk7m). Why Korg has not improved that???

About price, Tyros is 3500 €, Pa3x 61-keys is 3200 € (but has no internal hard drive nor video interface, Tyros has both). Pa3x 76-keys costs 3400 € : it has hard disk but no video interface, but it has 76 keys!! All these prices are without speakers.

Thanks for your review. The Roland E50, G70, E80 and BK-7m all will play styles directly from external media. They do not have to be loaded.
With the E series there is a dedicated folder in which the styles are placed on the external drive. After that you can access them directly and search for them in several different ways. They all remain in the same folder however.
The BK-7m can just play them directly from the thumb drive and you can make as many folders as you need.
I would like to audition a PA3X sometime to see if it would fit my needs. It certainly has a lot of features I like, but the main criteria are ease of operation, sound quality and availability of styles.
I won't be in the market this year, so by the time I get around to seeing one any small bugs that may exist will probably have been corrected.
The key touch or feel is very subjective. I actually prefer the extremely light touch usually present in the cheaper arrangers such as E50 and PSR series, etc. I'm sure players that previously played piano want just the opposite. I think the Tyros 4 strikes a happy medium.
I didn't like the operating system much on my previous Korgs. I really like the Audya OS and Roland OS. However I am fluent in Yamaha as well and it is fine with many shortcuts via direct access.
I miss having multi-pads, and I may change controllers so I can regain this function on the BK-7m. The new Roland controller has assignable pads. It will be a limited version, but better than having none. This feature is missing on all the Roland keyboards. I have always used them almost exclusively for finger drum hits and rolls, and sometimes some guitar riffs or strums.
As to the touch screen, my old fat fingers are not ideally suited for one, but if it is large enough I can deal with it.
I think I prefer buttons in most cases.
It's nice to have several great choices.
DonM

Edited by DonM (06/24/11 09:30 PM)

#327186 - 06/24/11 09:32 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: rolandfan]
Dnj Offline

I totally agree Multipads should be standard part of any arranger keyboard features.

#327216 - 06/25/11 06:01 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: DonM

As to the touch screen, my old fat fingers are not ideally suited for one, but if it is large enough I can deal with it.
I think I prefer buttons in most cases. It's nice to have several great choices.
DonM

Don,
Most of the "go to" selections on Korg touchscreens are also dedicated to a hard button. I found that out the hard way one night after my PA800 took a nasty drop in freezing weather and the screen went dark. (a wire popped off inside - ez fix) A friend of mine, who is not known for his grace uses his fingernail to access the touchscreen ... gives him a better result. Just more stuff to think about .... glad to see you back. I missed you!

#327225 - 06/25/11 08:25 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: rolandfan]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I got to play the pa3x for about an hour just now.
First off I must say it sounds MUCH better than the
Pa500 I played last time. I tested the DNC violin and
it had the looping fault. The keys are longer than yamaha
And feel heavy. The speakers quality is excellent. I
Played lambada style and used strings to play it and
It was so awesome. The flutes ,saxes, guitars sounded
Better on my ex psr s900. The pianos were good.
The harmonicas sound very nice... The ethnic indian
Sounds were also very good. The styles are powerful
And sound like a live band...the ballads were ok...did
Not move me emotionally. The dance styles are awesome.
Raggae not so good. Country was good. The choir voices were
A mix bag..a few were nice. I thought I would be very
Disappointed but this keyboard did suprise me. However
as I played ...I realised this keyboard although fantastic
Is not for me... There is something about the yamaha psr s900
Styles and sounds that inspire me and move me emotionally that
I would never get from a korg. But at the same time I realise
that there are people out there who want to sound like a live
Band playing and for them the korg pa3x is a fantastic keyboard.
It has more in depth editing and better vocal harmony than
Yamaha will ever have....but I don't sing or do much editing.
I walk away awaiting the next psr s series...BUT now I have
A lot of respect for the korg pa3x. Those of u that bought it..
I KNOW u will love it as much as I will love the next s series.
Lastly..the pa3x screen is awesome and the metal casing and
Tons of buttons does make it look FANTASTIC. On the internet,
Everybody said it sucked. Well it doesn't. I played it smile

#327234 - 06/25/11 10:10 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: rolandfan]
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Ian ... Yes there is a "Glitch" after about 4 seconds. Did not hold the note long enough?? Sorry about the mis-information. Even with its fault it sounds much better than the sample in the Pa2x.
Hopefully it will be fixed. I am sure there are a few other "Issues' that will crop up over time.

#327236 - 06/25/11 10:21 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: JCkeeys]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: JCkeeys
Ian ... Yes there is a "Glitch" after about 4 seconds. Did not hold the note long enough?? Sorry about the mis-information. Even with its fault it sounds much better than the sample in the Pa2x.
Hopefully it will be fixed. I am sure there are a few other "Issues' that will crop up over time.

Thanks JC...I thought it might have only affected early production models, like one Leigh tested/reviewed.

I imagine they may be able to correct with an upgrade of sorts, although some say it does appear to be the fault of the sample itself.

We had an issue or two with early Tyros4, but both were corrected, in about a month, with a OS upgrade, and now all is fine.

I was wondering if the PA3X sounded a lot better than the PA2X...you answered that question.

Thanks,

Ian

#327237 - 06/25/11 10:48 AM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: ianmcnll]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
We had an issue or two with early Tyros4, but both were corrected, in about a month, with a OS upgrade, and now all is fine.
Ditto smile because
Yamaha has just released a 'new' Tyros 4 OS Update Version 1.03 rocker

Here's what's included:

-Fixed a problem in which the "Next" button would disappear from the Normal View when changing the Style Selection display to List View and exiting,
then entering the Style Selection display again and finally returning to Normal View.

-Fixed a problem in certain Styles when re-selecting the Voice for RHY1 and/or RHY2 and saving the Style in Style Creator,
the volume balance etc would change during playback.

#327255 - 06/25/11 02:44 PM Re: post your pa3x reviews here [Re: FransN]
Magali Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hello

No break in this sound on my 3X but effectively , it is not good because the point of the loop (bad choice)
It is very amateurish on this sound .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online