SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#322860 - 04/26/11 09:07 AM Re: Tony on the XK1 [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I enjoy all visits to shows where Tony demos for Hammond; I've seen him many times. I've seen Jimmy Smith a good number of times, too.

Tony is no Jimmy. But, he's a really nice guy (a lot nicer than Jimmy) and is the current "standard bearer", so ya gotta like that!

R.

#322864 - 04/26/11 09:28 AM Re: Tony on the XK1 [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I enjoy all visits to shows where Tony demos for Hammond; I've seen him many times. I've seen Jimmy Smith a good number of times, too.

Tony is no Jimmy. But, he's a really nice guy (a lot nicer than Jimmy) and is the current "standard bearer", so ya gotta like that!

R.

I agree Russ....being a "Nice Guy" in this business is just as important as being a great player....without the audience your ain't nothin' they'll make ya or break ya wink..

D.

#322866 - 04/26/11 09:52 AM Re: Tony on the XK1 [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

R.

I've never met Tony, but I did meet Jimmy many years ago...he was dabbling with the Yamaha Electone FX-10 and was considering endorsing one of the Electone series.

That fell through, but I had been in Toronto on an Electone teacher's seminar at the same time, and was at the same table with him and the rest of the Yamaha crew in the hotel restaurant later on.

Very nice guy indeed, very confident, and very witty...I remember him telling stories about carrying his old chopped Hammond in an old Cadillac hearse when he was just getting started, and his friendly rivalry with Groove Holmes...a very entertaining and personable guy indeed.

Nice to see both in a person...great player, and nice human being.

Ian

#322906 - 04/26/11 02:56 PM Re: Tony on the XK1 [Re: ianmcnll]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I wish I had known Jimmy when he was a little younger - A friend and myself were fortunate enough to meet him on a few occasions and arranged with his manager to take these photos:

http://www.hammond-organ.com/Artist/image_directory/JSmith2.jpg
http://www.hammond-organ.com/Artist/image_directory/JSmith_hi-res.jpg

Jimmy was very happy to oblige us, and my friend (who took the photos) presented him with a set of the prints once they were ready.

You can clearly see the drawbar combinations he used on the night and he did not touch them at all except to switch between banks A & B. AND...he used fast Leslie only ONCE during the whole evening! He was a master of understatement.

#322913 - 04/26/11 03:18 PM Re: Tony on the XK1 [Re: Tonewheeldude]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
You can clearly see the drawbar combinations he used on the night and he did not touch them at all except to switch between banks A & B. AND...he used fast Leslie only ONCE during the whole evening! He was a master of understatement.

I've listened to a lot of Jimmy Smith, and yes, you're right, he was a master of understatement. That's why it's so hard for other organists to duplicate him. Jimmy used the fast Leslie like they use fireworks...the big stuff at the end.

It's like Floyd Cramer...same idea...very understated...people I hear trying to imitate him (including me) tend to overplay his style.

It's like the old saying, " "You spend the first 20 years learning what to play, and the next 20 years learning what NOT to play."

Ian

#323000 - 04/27/11 09:34 AM Re: Tony on the XK1 [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ian, that comment about learning what NOT to play, is right on point!

R.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online