SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#321400 - 04/10/11 10:39 AM Just ordered a BK-7M
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I need a new setup since I sold my PSR-3000, DGX-305 and my CDR-200P. So I've been drooling over the Tyros4, and the new PA3X - not to mention the Audya. But I cannot defend the cost of those units - yes I could pay for one with a couple of gigs, but I also need to pay rent and feed my family - and in case of the Audya I would have to give up one child for adoption to afford it - so I weighed the options in the SUB $2000 category (remember I'm in Norway - everything is expensive over here). $2k gets me a used SD1, used Tyros2, used PSR-S900 used PA1X Pro, or a MidJay. $1.5k gets me a used Tyros, used PSR-3000, used PSR-S700(go figure...), new PSR-710, used G-70 (If I'm lucky). The BK-7M sits at $1.2k just under everything - so I went for it! I already have a P-95 that I'll be pairing it with - so I can't wait to test her out!

DocZ

#321403 - 04/10/11 11:22 AM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: doc-z]
Tryggve Offline

Loc: Sweden
I`ve just done the same. From Thomann,should come in a day.

#321427 - 04/10/11 04:52 PM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: doc-z]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Personally, I am finding the OOTB sound to be a bit 'European', with rather more reverb on that I personally like... I remember when the G70 came out, it had the same issue. Roland issued an OS update that addressed it, perhaps they will do one for the BK, otherwise, it's going to be a busy few days with the Makeup Tools...

Still waiting for a full Parameter Reference Chart, too...

I think I'm going to buy the one I have. I did a gig with a live band on it on my keytar, hadn't really got a clue about how to get all the sounds I usually use, and was filling in for a missing lead guitarist, so I decided to just stick to guitar sounds, bit of fiddle, that sort of stuff...

Holy Cow!

The combination of the pitch strip on my KX-5, and some very well programmed OTS patches with all the effects and amp models dialed in, and I was in guitar heaven! Clean, U2-ish rhythm stuff, some searing Allman Bros. type leads, some pedal steel things, crunchy blues guitar, clean country twang... The other guitarist (acoustic) in the band was dying! They loved it, and so did I!

I think I have found the perfect replacement for my aging M-GS64 module for use with the keytar, and now, I can also do full SMF or even simple arranger stuff (not a lot of keys to do full arranger playing on a KX-5!) for the odd guerrilla gig where I can't bring in a full rig.

All in all, despite seeing I've got some programming to do (and I've never played anything where I DIDN'T have that, really), I am sold...

Kudos, Roland...

Now, where's the OS update with the Chord Sequencer and the Mark/Jump feature? wink

#321434 - 04/10/11 05:15 PM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: doc-z]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm going to pass on the BK-7m...I was interested in using it with a P-95 piano, but, it's too short on pitch bend options for my needs.

Considering what Diki said earlier, that aspect may not matter to many of my P-85/95/NP-30 owners, so I will continue to recommend it wholeheartedly.

It sounds better than the previous generation Rolands (E/G) when comparing with on-line demos, especially the styles...they sound far more detailed and less murky, and the drums actually sound even more "live", at least to my ears. Of course, it should sound better being years newer.

A very nice product, to be sure, and hopefully, it might jog Korg and Yamaha into making their own modules, but, past experience tells me that isn't going to happen.

Ian

#321479 - 04/11/11 07:01 AM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: Diki]
Tryggve Offline

Loc: Sweden
Still have my G70,like it,but it`s a big one.The styles sounds
very alive. The T3 i usually play on is alittle boaring,but the righthand sounds are very good. Hopfully the BK-7M together
with my Motif XS will work fine.
Programing is allways part of the job.
Sorry for the poor spelling. From Sweden

#321516 - 04/11/11 12:31 PM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: doc-z]
doc-z Offline

Oh man.. just got an email from the webshop I ordered from. Seems they cannot supply the unit until Christmas... bugger... no BK-7M for me then. I knew it was too good to be true...

DocZ

#321518 - 04/11/11 12:47 PM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: doc-z]
doc-z Offline

Ian, what pitch/bend function are you referring to? From what I can read it supports pitch/bend.

DocZ

#321520 - 04/11/11 01:06 PM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: doc-z]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Doc, I wanted to be able to use a footswitch/pedal to do pitch bends...the mid range Yamaha PSR (and Tyros) have this feature (and they also have P/M wheels) and, on the PSR, it was handy to be able to bend pitch with a pedal, since you know a lot of bends seem to want (or need) to occur at chord changes.

With a P-95, which has no wheels, the pedal would at least let me bend a note up or down (not both)...still, better than none.

I just thought it would be a cool feature, and I was disappointed to see it not there.

Otherwise, the module looks and sounds (at least on-line) like a winner to me...I think it's overall sound, especially the styles, has far more detail than a G-70/E-80, although I'd have to actually try the module to confirm it...I have played the G-70/E-80.

That's a bummer for sure that they aren't shipping till Christmas.

Ian

PS...I can't be certain (I'll see if I can find the manuals) but I believe the older Roland modules (RA-50/90/95/800 etc.) would allow a pedal to do pitch bend. I seem to remember using that feature, back when I worked as a demonstrator for them.

#321525 - 04/11/11 02:15 PM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: doc-z]
doc-z Offline

I see.. for me it seems awkward to do bends with a pedal - but I guess it's what you're used to. I'm so used to using my right foot for sustain, and left foot for damping or sostenuto - so for me even triggering fills with a pedal is awkward.

But if you still like the module - you could ditch the P-95 and go with a RD-300 or a CP-33 - or even a M-Audio SONO 88. Or you could add a Korg padKONTROL or similar to your P-95 setup then you could at least do bends with the stick/wheel/pad smile

At least you lucky guys actually get to buy this thing - I've contacted five stores and they all tell me the same thing - different stories - but essentially the same thing. That I cannot get this unit until fall/winter 2011. Apparently the unit sold so well that they are backordered up the wazzoo.. Or they just got too few units allocated by Roland to meet the demand.

Looks like I will have to make due with a PSR-710... or maybe a Prelude.

DocZ

DocZ

#321526 - 04/11/11 02:53 PM Re: Just ordered a BK-7M [Re: doc-z]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess my bend technique doesn't really work well with one directional benders. I do as much bending INTO a note as I do bending FROM it... For that I need a bend down as well as up. I've tried footpedal bending (the ol' K2500 will do anything you want it to!) but it's not a good solution, for me. Be nice if someone made a sprung pedal that could go up or down (and return accurately to center) but I've never seen one.

But anyway, there's still hope... Roland DO have a tendency to bring out updates that add considerable new features (rather than some that just make you go out and buy a new model), and if the demand for foot controlled pitchbend is there, it might get added. My sympathies go out to Ian, though... I know what it is like to be on the lookout for features that very few use! He's pretty lucky, all in all, though. I bet as many people use the footpedal to bend pitch on a Yamaha as used the Chord Sequencer on Roland's... Let's hope Yamaha never drop that feature!

I used to have an RA90... don't ever remember a footpedal bend. I'm curious, too. Why is it so paramount that the BK have a pitch bender, when the MUCH more expensive Audya4 doesn't have one..? I honestly don't remember ANY module that had one.

Oh, and Ian... the pianos are so good in the BK, you might not need the P85... just hook it up to a nice controller with a waggle stick or wheel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online