SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#321179 - 04/08/11 03:49 AM KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
http://www.korgpa.com/en/products/arrangers/pa3x/pa3x-demo/P/5-pa3x/13-full-songs.html

manual:

http://www.korgpa.com/images/stories/pdf/pa3x/Pa3X%20User%20Manual%20v100%20(English).pdf

advanced manual:

http://www.korgpa.com/images/stories/pdf/pa3x/Pa3X%20Advanced%20Edit%20Manual%20v100%20(English).pdf

regards,
John Smies

P.S. How about a friendly discussion this time.......

#321188 - 04/08/11 06:11 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: john smies]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi John

After listening to the official demos, it just proves how unrepresentative all the previous demos that have been posted were. (Extra points for those that said wait and see)

As to the sound, well I have never been impressed with the piano sounds on any of Korg Arrangers, and this one is no exception.

The drums however show what live is all about and really puts the T4 drums to shame. (Even audio loops aren’t that much better)

The rest of the sounds are fine, but overall nothing I can see changing a PA2x for. (Whereas the change from the PA1x to the PA2x was a really significant improvement in all departments)

The proof of the pudding however is as always in the eating, so looking forward to hearing and playing it live.

Bill

#321190 - 04/08/11 06:19 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: abacus]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Like I said before the PA2x sound great and the PA3X sound even better. Wow what a keyboard.

#321192 - 04/08/11 06:25 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: john smies]
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Mesa wanna one!

#321198 - 04/08/11 06:58 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: abacus

The rest of the sounds are fine, but overall nothing I can see changing a PA2x for. (Whereas the change from the PA1x to the PA2x was a really significant improvement in all departments)

Well said, Bill...and something that seems to have been obvious to PA2X pro users all along.

Again, playing it live may make a difference, although I really can't see that happening.

Ian

#321200 - 04/08/11 07:04 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: john smies]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Maby it is just me. But Korg just uploaded also styles and sounds and to me I hear a big difference between the PA2X and the PA3X.

#321222 - 04/08/11 10:39 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: john smies]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Just had a listen to latest demos that have been uploaded, and the styles are definitely more live than the Yamaha, but unfortunately they have become very busy (Just like Yamaha) thus you pretty much have to follow what the style dictates rather than being able to do your own thing. (Busy styles I am afraid leave me cold, and just bore me)

As far as the solo sounds go they are typical Korg, with the Exception of the DNC Violin, Strings & Acoustic Bass which really are top notch and easily leave the Yamaha SA1/2 voices in the shade.

BTW The reason I am comparing the PA3x with the T4 is simply because until the PA3x came along, the T4 was pretty much the top notch hardware arranger in most areas.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the official demos prove that the Beta version demos that had been posted previously were not even close to the finished product.

Bill

#321227 - 04/08/11 10:59 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: abacus

As far as the solo sounds go they are typical Korg, with the Exception of the DNC Violin, Strings & Acoustic Bass which really are top notch and easily leave the Yamaha SA1/2 voices in the shade.

Bill

Of course Bill, this is your personal opinion, and not indicative of a universal sentiment. It will also depend on just how playable and expressive these DNC voices are when playing "live".

From what I've heard on these latest demos...the Tyros4 still leads in this area...my personal impressions, of course. grin

Ian

#321233 - 04/08/11 11:20 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: john smies]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Those Italians are something aren't they? These studio produced PA3X demos (at long last) are really noteworthy on almost every front in my opinion. First, the Drum Kits are fabulous and as already stated put the Tyros4 drums to shame. But even more astonishing they are better than the Audya too in my opinion. Wonderful, wonderful Drum kits. cool In your face, extremely realistic, and with a vibrant "Live" presence that displays superb reproduction and accuracy. Well done Korg!

I noticed they recently added Styles and Solo instrument sounds plus a few Latin mixes. First let me say that the RX Grand Piano demo was the best ac grand sound of the bunch. It sounded better to my ears than the T4 grand(s), or better than any other arranger for that matter. But I don't think Korg did a very good job with the demo itself because the String Orchestra within that particular demo kind of played havoc with the RX Grand Piano sound in a couple of spots which made it sound a little cacophonic and unnatural. I would like to see Korg put up a solo demo of the RX Grand (and other AC Grands) to better gauge their overall sound quality. But the only Grand Piano 'solo' demo was, in my opinion, the less than stellar eXp Grand Piano. Also, the Honky Tonk sounded overly reverberant like it wasn't being played in a tavern but in a vacant symphony hall giving it an almost eerie sound to my ears. Nice thing about Korg keyboards though is that you can fully "edit" the sound microscopically and then save it to memory as a user sound effectively re-shaping it to your preference. With Yammie you're more or less stuck with what you've already got sound-wise, whereas, Korg arrangers give users much more control over the sounds and styles which is hugely beneficial. Depending, of course, on the final outcome of your re-shaping efforts obviously. wink

I really liked the Nylon DNC as well as the Steel Guitar DNC and in fact all of the DNC instrument demos. The Violin DNC was especially nice I might add too; as were the Strings DNC. The Musette was wonderful too although I expected as much from Korg's Italian sound programmers. cool The Jazz Sax DNC was comparable to the T4's Tenor Sax I thought also. Too bad there were no Organ solo demos. I wonder why Korg is holding back on the organs? Arrangers are basically known as being portable "Organs" - besides the auto-accompaniment "toy" designation from traditional workstation owners. wink lol Korg being dismissive regarding the PA3X Organs is kind of disconcerting if you ask me. Are they actually any good?? Or is it just one or two that pass muster and everything else junk? That is the sixty-four thousand dollar question on a lot of people's minds right about now I would imagine. If most of the organs suck it will be a huge disappointment and could be a deal breaker for possibly many people, needless to say. A few (or several) Organ solo demos would certainly remedy the situation. I would be extremely hesitant to buy a totl arranger without hearing a least a few of the organs on board before doing so.

Korg's absenteeism regarding the PA3X/Pro Organs could speak louder than words. When a manufacturer highlights many sounds from several different categories yet essentially ignores a certain category, or categories, of sounds... they usually do so for a reason. The reason usually being... the category, or categories, they ignore could perhaps be filled with a bunch of mediocre mish-mash that they are relatively ashamed of?? You tell me?

I did notice a few areas where the sound quality on a couple of the song demos were a little suspect. A little "thin" in a couple areas to my ears. But overall, I think Korg did a great job and the PA3X/Pro is a great arranger having apparently many great sounds. Organs??... not so fast. wink To be fair, I did hear a couple very nice organs on one of the recent youtube demos. cool Lastly, the BRASS!!! Excellent Brass sounds that are simply the best I've heard on any arranger to date. Exquisite Trumpet(s) and very nicely done Brass sections. If you're into Brass the PA3X is right up your alley if you ask me. Bravo! Bravissimo!! Well done Korg!

As Korg's new Flagship, it undercuts the competition considerably in price too. Which is more money in people's pocket to spend on other things. Plus the option of 76 keys as well. Still only 120 note Polyphony is a little disheartening though. Roland's new synth Flagship the Jupiter-80 has 256 note Polyphony (varies according to the sound generator load). Perhaps Roland will FINALLY release a new totl arranger soon that will also have 256 note Polyphony? That in itself may be reason enough to hold off until summer NAMM before taking the plunge on a PA3X/Pro. 120 vs. 256... you do the math. wink

All the best, Mike

#321237 - 04/08/11 11:41 AM Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals [Re: john smies]
leezone Offline

keybplayer posted:
"First, the Drum Kits are fabulous and as already stated put the Tyros4 drums to shame. But even more astonishing they are better than the Audya too in my opinion"

you kidding?, these drums are JUST ok,
AUDYA's are way better and sound way much more "live" in your face, the real deal

BTW, that Samba in the PA3X is a JOKE,
really, that style is horrible, the drums are too.. too canned
just MY Opinion... you have yours

listen to the AUDYA's samba and hear what it should really sound like eek

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online