SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#320549 - 03/31/11 08:13 AM do you ever fake an accent when singing?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
So how do you approach a song that is sung with an accent that you don’t have? For example if you don’t have a country drawl do use one when singing country music? Do go for a Jamaican accent when singing reggae?

Personally, I think I’m pretty good at imitating different regional accents and its fun to do while singing too but I guess it could come across as rather contrived or maybe disrespectful.

Of all the great singers that I can think of, none of them fake an accent. Maybe I’m wrong? What do you think?

Edited by montunoman (03/31/11 08:16 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#320550 - 03/31/11 08:20 AM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It's interesting that, when I speak, I have a southern accent, but when I sing naturally, I don't.

Russ

#320551 - 03/31/11 08:29 AM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have to fake my OWN accent.
Seriously, I'm told by different people that I sound like this guy or that guy but I seldom try to sound like anybody else.
Sometimes I hold my nose and do a "gag" Willie Nelson for a measure or two.
I used to try and sound like Elvis, but now I just look like him, right before he died.
DonM

#320552 - 03/31/11 08:33 AM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No. One of the most important things I learned about singing is using proper diction and pronunciation. In fact, there's a place in Nashville that advertises a course specifically for singers that emphasizes these aspects of singing. In their ad they say that Elvis, and a host of other highly successful singers were among their many students.

Now, when I sing Italian songs in Italian, and Spanish songs in Spanish, I have to really practice the song a lot. I do this by listening to the individual words and trying to mimic them as closely as possible. So, in a sense, I guess those accents are utilized.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#320554 - 03/31/11 08:41 AM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: montunoman]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
A Critical Lesson from Elvis: "I don't sound like nobody else" cool

#320555 - 03/31/11 09:08 AM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
So Gary, when you sing "hot hot hot" you don't fake the accent like Buster Poindexter did?

It's interesting to listen to NatKing cole Spanish language albums, anyone can tell that he has a horrilbe Spanish accent but the songs song great and were huge hits in Spanish speaking countries. Maybe if he tried to sing with a perfect Spanish accent it might have lost something. It so charming to listen to Astrud Gilberto singing in English with her beautiful Portuguese accent. I’m glad she didn’t try to fake an English accent.

Can country music still be country with no drawl

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#320559 - 03/31/11 09:47 AM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I already HAVE an accent! Spent years on it... wink

I wish I could sound like some of the greats, but it isn't their accent that made them so. It was their VOICE! Sadly, I got stuck with the one I have, so I just go with it. frown violin

But I still get a good laugh when people come and say, Wow! I've never heard that song with an English accent before..! I just tell them the original artist WANTED to do it in an English accent, but could never pull it off, so I am just making his dream come true rotf2

#320574 - 03/31/11 12:12 PM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No way I want to sound like Buster! smile Now, Diki, on the other hand, speaks and sings in British. wink And, I love the way Louis Prima does many of his songs in both Italian, and what he refers to as British. I try to sing in American English, and I try very hard not to have a regional dialect, but I'm sure it comes through at times--even when I'm typing.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#320577 - 03/31/11 12:37 PM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... funny, but it seems to happen naturally ... not sounding like some other singer, but playing St. Pat's gigs, I found myself singing with a slight 'brogue' ... when I do C/W there is a little drawl, and when doing reggae, I sound a little like I'm from Jamaica, ... but mostly from Jamaica, Queens, NY !!! laugh laugh laugh rolleyes

#320596 - 03/31/11 06:43 PM Re: do you ever fake an accent when singing? [Re: montunoman]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I have my basic voice, which I think is pretty versatile. I don't sing a Hank Williams tune the same way I sing a standard or an Irish song or a rock song. I wouldn't call it faking an accent, but more of a vocal styling.

I try and stop before it becomes a caricature, I'm not doing it to be funny. I'm attempting to add a little more authenticity to the overall performance. I think its the kind of thing if its really noticeable, then it has to be dialed down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online