SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#320394 - 03/28/11 02:22 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, they report that the CPU is significantly beefed up, and the graphics have about ten times more power, and if you are doing VSTi on an iPad, you can't have TOO much power, and if you do any gaming or graphics intensive stuff (video editing?) you ought to see a significant improvement. If you aren't doing much but the internet and a .PDF viewer, perhaps an old one is fine.

The cameras are new, too. Personally, I think that it's enough to warrant a new one (going to get one in a few weeks, after I get my new iMac), but for users of the old one, perhaps not. Is saving a couple of hundred dollars worth losing all the new one does? Up to you, my friends... wink

#320410 - 03/28/11 07:56 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
Well, they report that the CPU is significantly beefed up, and the graphics have about ten times more power, and if you are doing VSTi on an iPad, you can't have TOO much power, and if you do any gaming or graphics intensive stuff (video editing?) you ought to see a significant improvement. If you aren't doing much but the internet and a .PDF viewer, perhaps an old one is fine.

The cameras are new, too. Personally, I think that it's enough to warrant a new one (going to get one in a few weeks, after I get my new iMac), but for users of the old one, perhaps not. Is saving a couple of hundred dollars worth losing all the new one does? Up to you, my friends... wink

Well how long is a piece of string Diki wink Significant to you is not significant to me. The camera is only the addition of a front camera, iPad 1 already has a camera.

All the Clip holders do not fit the new iPad as it is thinner (the companies apparently are having to send out little self-sticking felt pads so the Ipad 2 does not drop out of the holder!!

I don't believe the graphics are not ten times better (maybe on the spec sheet wink )...more hype!!

As you say , if one does NOT have an iPad the Ipad 2 is okay for a first up purchase. But all I am saying is don't be totally blinded by all the hype, and that a 64 gig iPad WITH 3g brand new could still represent a great deal, and will be MORE than adequate for anything the iPad 2 can do. Maybe a teensy bit slower is all. Garage-Band, iMS 20, and the other synth apps all work fine on an iPad 1.

Don't forget you will also need to buy the Line 6 Midi Mobiliser/ Apple Camera Connection Kit if you want to send MIDI data out.

Personally, as I already own iPad 1, I will wait until iPad 3, when there may be a chance of a mini-usb port. There is just not enough upgrade to make it worthwhile.

I am not bagging anyone for buying an iPad 2 - go for it if you can get it smile , just suggesting the 1 might be what you need instead.

Dennis

#320416 - 03/28/11 08:43 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Graphics aren't supposed to be ten times BETTER (more resolution), but ten times FASTER. Not probably an issue unless you are gaming, though. And Apple third party accessories have ALWAYS had to play catch-up to newer form factors (iPods, iPhones, you name it).

I would hesitate to call you out on this, but with a much faster processor, I would imagine you could either play more tracks, or get more polyphony from the Instruments in Garage Band. It's not that Garage Band CAN'T play on the older iPad, but that it is likely to be able to do MORE.

You know me, I NEVER tend to feel that upgrading from one generation to the next is usually a good idea. But I do tend to think that you might as well get the latest if it is your FIRST, as you are future-proofing yourself for at least one more generation on any cycle you choose to work around.

Get the iPad1, and you might be tempted to get the iPad3 in a year's time, as significantly better as it is likely to be. But get the iPad2, and you are probably good to go until at least the iPad4!

#320419 - 03/28/11 09:05 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
miden Offline

Ahh okay, sorry m8, I thought you meant better...Yes I agree with you on the rest.

It would make an terrific first up buy. And yes I reckon you are spot-on in that you would get higher track counts with the newer processor, as well as poly. I was remiss in not saying that as an "on the other hand..."

To be honest, had I not already got one, I would be looking at the 2 as well smile .

So after all that, I reckon it's great you are going to get one, and also to other SZer's who make the plunge. laugh Maybe Nigel could create an iPad forum as well...

I think you will be really happy with it though Diki, truly.

Dennis

#320424 - 03/29/11 02:24 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Is there a way to advance pages (lead sheets) via a foot pedal? What about searching for a song? Would you have to pick it up and type something or could you use a mouse to somehow scroll through a list or something?

The ideal situation would be being able to use a footswitch to advance pages and also to search. If you have to pick it up, the audience seeing you do that... not so good. (If using an arranger, you could kind of hide behind it a bit. If playing an acoustic guitar such as I often do, there isn't anything to block the view.)

If the Ipad can do these things, it would be a fab addition for me. I have long wanted to have a "teleprompter" that nobody would really know is there? As for guitar gigs, perhaps there is a mic stand gizmo. The Ipad is not so big that it would look terrible and it wouldn't hide much of you... a good thing for connection to the audience.

One last thing... for any footswitch device that exists, are any wireless?

#320429 - 03/29/11 05:12 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Uh, gee, these things are over $1000? I'm out at that price. I thought they were much less.

#320447 - 03/29/11 10:34 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
miden Offline

I use the Airturn Bluetooth with the app Unrealbook, on an iPad 1.

The pedal itself was only $79...You can get an iPad 1, still new, for much less than half of the $1000 you stated...You must be looking at the 64gig model with 3g as well....

Dennis

#320452 - 03/29/11 11:42 AM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
Is there a way to advance pages (lead sheets) via a foot pedal? What about searching for a song? Would you have to pick it up and type something or could you use a mouse to somehow scroll through a list or something?

The ideal situation would be being able to use a footswitch to advance pages and also to search. If you have to pick it up, the audience seeing you do that... not so good. (If using an arranger, you could kind of hide behind it a bit. If playing an acoustic guitar such as I often do, there isn't anything to block the view.)

If the Ipad can do these things, it would be a fab addition for me. I have long wanted to have a "teleprompter" that nobody would really know is there? As for guitar gigs, perhaps there is a mic stand gizmo. The Ipad is not so big that it would look terrible and it wouldn't hide much of you... a good thing for connection to the audience.

One last thing... for any footswitch device that exists, are any wireless?

I use the air turn blue tooth as well for page turns and the iKlip as a holder, it fits nicely on a mic stand.

There are some incredible deals on iPads either at Craigslist or in the case of ATT, they have cut the price of the 64 gig 3g by $300 The new 64 gig 3g is $829. versus $529 for the iPad1
ATT iPad 1-64 gig 3g $529

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/29/11 11:49 AM)
Edit Reason: posted wrong price

#320471 - 03/29/11 03:50 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

As for memory, if you're not going to put a lot of audio, video or photos on there, what would you need for memory? 16gb enough?

Is the memory expandable?

#320473 - 03/29/11 04:05 PM Re: Don't Laugh! Just Got An IPad 2 [Re: BBBB]
miden Offline

16g is a LOT of memory if just loading PDF's Bill, but, in truth what happens is we all get tempted and in fact DO load up all kinds of other stuff smile

Apps, games etc etc...With the iPad 2 now out, there are bargains galore for the 64gig iPad 1..all still new as well smile

Dennis

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online