SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#319414 - 03/15/11 09:57 PM Tyros 4 polyphony problems?
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Can any of you new TY4 owners tell me if you have found any polyphony problems. I am considering buying the TY4 (or perhaps something else) but this quote I found online worries me because I regularly play full right hand chords with my right hand. Here's the quote:

"I am tonight sat at the new Tyros 4 playing and working my way through the big sounds that this keyboard is supposed of offer. As the evening as progressed one MAJOR thing I have found with Tyros 4 is problems with polyphony - big problems!
For example, if I choose the VocalFoxtrot style from the Ballroom style section and then try to play a right hand chord with the notes D F G Bb and D - the keyboards backing vocals just vanish.

And this is apparent on other styles too!

The more you play this keyboard the more you find that anyone who can play block chords in the style or organ or big band suddenly hits a stumbling block and a big one. WHY after just 48 hours am I finding this. Surely Yamaha would have played this keyboard before releasing it? Wouldn’t they?"

... Thank you.

#319438 - 03/16/11 09:31 AM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: Hal2001]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm not finding this at all; What are you playing in your left hand? Are you running any multi-pads? Do the Style voices return on the next beat? Are you pressing the sustain pedal? How many voices do you have on the right hand?

The T4 has 128 Voice Polyphony...think about that ceiling for a second.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#319560 - 03/17/11 10:20 PM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: Hal2001]
Hal2001 Offline

Thanks for your reply. I haven't bought the TY4 yet but will buy an arranger very soon. I am considering also the Korg pa3xpro when it comes out mainly because it has 76 keys, they claim its sound has been improved, and I have the impression (rightly or wrongly) that it's library of sounds and rhythms is more modern and not so much traditional. When I ready about the possible Tyros polyphony issue online it made me think twice. I thought that it might be possible because (based on my past experience with their YPG series) their auto-accompaniment feature at times is quite complex and rich with very full backing band instruments. So I thought that the auto-accompaniment might eat up so much polyphony that there would be just enough left for one finger right hand playing, whereas I tend to play block chords with my right hand. So thanks for letting me know that you haven't had any problems. I hope I'll here feedback from some more TY owners.

#319688 - 03/20/11 09:53 AM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: Hal2001]
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Hello, This afternoon I tested with Right1 and Right 2 and played with allchannels, all continuous voicing PADd, all veriations with Harmony and can send you the resulting MIDI.

Conclusion: no polyhony problems noticed.

http://my.vision-4-life.nl/index.php?id=67&L=1 .... My Music

Regards, Fred

#319693 - 03/20/11 10:33 AM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: fmlk]
Hal2001 Offline

Originally Posted By: fmlk
Hello, This afternoon I tested with Right1 and Right 2 and played with allchannels, all continuous voicing PADd, all veriations with Harmony and can send you the resulting MIDI.

Conclusion: no polyhony problems noticed.

http://my.vision-4-life.nl/index.php?id=67&L=1 .... My Music

Regards, Fred

Thank you very much Fred for checking into this issue. Sounds like you did a thorough test and that I do not need to be concerned about it. You have a nice website and I will check it out more thoroughly.
Hal

#319713 - 03/20/11 03:57 PM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: Hal2001]
fmlk Offline

Yes, I did the test for you to make it sure. When you go to www.vision-4-life.nl you have connection to my two personal websites, one for family, work, interests and hobbies, the other for my vision for life, ideology, Compassion Advocacy and voluntary charity work. When you listen closer, e.g. Marche Funebre, you hear a church organ. Well, that is also my Tyros 4 smile
Another great feature: you can make your own voices.

Kind regards, Fred

#319740 - 03/21/11 04:35 AM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: Hal2001]
kbrkr Offline

Hal,

We have some of the most astute keyboard users on the internet on this forum who are using the Tyros 4. Believe me, if there was any weakness on the T4 with polyphony or any other capability; they would be making this issue well known; including myself.

#319877 - 03/22/11 12:23 PM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: Hal2001]
fmlk Offline

Hi Kbrkr,

When I see the list of instruments in your footer, I wonder: do you ever sleep ?? Or is it your profession?
Bit more serious question: When you compare Tyros 4 to Motif, it might be comparing apples with pears, but please tell me how you use them and advantages and disadvantages of T4 versus Motif XS6

Regards, Fred

#319878 - 03/22/11 12:33 PM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: kbrkr]
Hal2001 Offline

[quote=kbrkr]Hal,

We have some of the most astute keyboard users on the internet on this forum who are using the Tyros 4.

I'm also interested in Fred's question to you as I still have not made up my mind whether I am going to buy the TY4, a pa3xPro, a Motif XF or a Korg Kronos. The two Korgs will be out somewhere between April and June in the US. Whichever one I pick will be my only keyboard as I will be selling my Fantom X8.
Hal

#319881 - 03/22/11 01:42 PM Re: Tyros 4 polyphony problems? [Re: fmlk]
kbrkr Offline

Fair question Fred,

Not only do I play as a keyboard player in a Wedding band, I also perform the Cocktail Hours and the Ceremony music. I use the T4 for those.

I use the Motif on the bottom of my two keyboard rig for Synth sounds, Sampling, and performances (multi-layered sounds think UPRISING/DEAD or ALIVE). I also use it to trigger my Roland VK8m Hammond Clonewheel. I use the T4 on top for it's extraordinary Acoustic voices; Sax, Brass, Strings, Piano, Electric Pianos, and now also supplemental Sampling since it is essentially a Motif XF with Flash Ram. The T4 also has some great Synth sounds (from the Motif).

I am also an on-call drummer with a few other groups in the area. I'm pretty popular (not because I'm a gifted musician) but because I also sing (on key) and have a great ear for harmonies. Lot's of bands in my area are severely lacking in the vocals category.

Although this is not the way I make my living, I do end up performing quite a bit.

I've owned the Pa2xpro and the Audya 4/5. The T4 is so much more gratifying for me than either of those boards.

Edited by kbrkr (03/22/11 01:48 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online