SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#317308 - 02/22/11 08:52 AM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ian, I have played the Tyros 4 on two occasions, each time for about two hours, thanks to Don Patterson in Lufkin, TX.
I am very impressed with it, particularly the lead sounds and the new vocal harmonizer.
Is it the best one to suit me? Not sure. I still like the more raw sound of Ketron and Roland a lot.
Drawbacks, for me: It is larger than it needs to be. The new drum kit is nice, but many of the styles still use the older ones. Yes, I know they are easily swapped.
I believe it does sound better than previous models, but does the audience know the difference? Maybe a few, but most don't care.
I don't do a lot of big production songs that sound like a 20-piece orchestra. I want to sound like a small live band or combo. I never layer more than two voices, and usually only play one lead voice at a time. I seldom use a left-hand pad-type sound. My lead voice choices are guitars, piano, saxes, organ, harmonica, accordion, fiddle, vibes, and occasionally EP, trumpet, horns, vocal and gimmick special effect sounds. All those are well-represented on Tyros, but then they are on everything, some better some worse.
As you say, it is inspiring to sit and play, but then I am still discovering things on my old keyboards that are new and inspiring, if I take the time to dig into them.
I like a lot of things Yamaha does that nobody much mentions, such as multipads, short cuts such as key combinations that instantly mute everything but drums and/or bass, direct access
shortcuts, intuitive fills and breaks, text display, ease of USB use, double push endings for ritard, and other things I'm forgetting.
I'm not a big fan of the Registration system. I prefer the Roland and Audya (not the older Ketron) systems. Roland and Korg also have better music finder (songbook) systems. (Ketron has NONE). I don't like the big, bulky optional Yamaha foot controller. It weighs as much as some keyboards. Ketron has choice of several and Roland's is also smaller and works great. I forget about Korg, but theirs is smaller too.
Probably one of the biggest drawback for me is the unorthodox size and shape, particularly for a 61-note keyboard. It's even hard to find a case that fits it. As with all of them, there are great features and drawbacks. We each must choose what suits as best.
Anyway, like I said, it's GREAT to have so many good choices now.
DonM

#317314 - 02/22/11 09:15 AM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Good post, Don.

You're right, it is great to have so many choices.

I'm glad you got to try a Tyros4...I had no problem getting a case, I got one from a company called Levi for the Tyros3, which also fits the Tyros4 as they are basically in the same cabinet.

I'm not a fan of sounding like a 20 piece orchestra all the time either...I prefer a smaller combo type sound (up to 5-piece with maybe a string pad) for 90% of what I play...still, it is nice to be able to do other genres without feeling like something's missing.

I can't seem to find a Korg or a Ketron (even rarer) arranger anywhere in my district...they are like Yeti...the last Korg I played was an I-series, which was pretty darn good...I remember the Sax being well above average.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Ian

#317324 - 02/22/11 10:38 AM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: leeboy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Tony,
I agree...I am starting to realise what you just said. And it is hard to explain.

I guess one comment is: Some folks could care less about going to hear a full orchestra play some beauitful music, and some like me LOVE IT!

I think T4 is more like a full ochestra. Folks that play for a group may not like it as well as some instruments that are more dance oriented (not that Tyros can't do that).

Anyway, that's the bestI can describe it.

Leeboy,

I will sum this up, if you want to sound good playing KB from day one then the T4 will help you do that, what ever style or sound you like, it's all in there! Its like a car with a 6 speed gearbox, there all in there somewhere, just do grind them!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#317347 - 02/22/11 02:36 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: ianmcnll]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I can't seem to find a Korg or a Ketron (even rarer) arranger anywhere in my district...they are like Yeti...the last Korg I played was an I-series, which was pretty darn good...I remember the Sax being well above average.

So I'm not the ONLY one without an opportunity to try some of the arrangers I am prepared to listen to online to get my impression of them, then, Ian..? duel

#317358 - 02/22/11 03:27 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

So I'm not the ONLY one without an opportunity to try some of the arrangers I am prepared to listen to online to get my impression of them, then, Ian..?

I guess you aren't the only one Diki...still, I do hope you get to play the Tyros4. I really think you have the ear and musical experience to appreciate what has been done to upgrade from Tyros3.

I did play, quite extensively, the G-70/E-80/E-60/E-50/Prelude/GW-8, plus several KR-series pianos, so thankfully, I didn't have to rely on the Internet demos to make my assessment of those instruments.

So far no Korg arrangers (lots of pianos and workstations), but, you never know...someone may order one in, and if they do, I'll be notified by my buddy at the store.

Two Tyros4 clinics tomorrow, weather permitting...I must say, this is the nicest arranger I've ever used.

Ian

#317364 - 02/22/11 03:38 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
So...Ian, what will the clinics be like?
Basics for new owners ...or what?
Sure wish there were some around here...it would be fun to associate with other owners in person..kind of how we used to do for the Organ clubs here.
Thanks,

#317367 - 02/22/11 03:41 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

It's going to be hard for me to judge how improved the T4 is over the T3, as I never got to play that either!

I'm afraid from simple LISTENING, it's harder to tell than you might like, Ian. Naturally, one would expect ANY arranger to be an improvement over its previous model, but to us non-users, the issue isn't quite as black and white as those far more familiar with the sounds would feel.

The new brush kits sound great... so apparently, Yamaha ARE responding to this, albeit a tad slower than I would like. Maybe the T5 will have TEN totally new drumkits, and that issue can be put to bed once and for all..?

My major props go more to your style creators than to the instrument itself. They are an awesome bunch of musician/programmers, and every other arranger manufacturer should learn from Yamaha's example. They honestly, to my mind, make the difference between the Yamaha's and the 'also-rans' than anything sound or OS wise...

#317368 - 02/22/11 03:42 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Spring is coming. May be almost time for the fourth annual Shreveport Arranger Jam. Seems we have them every couple of years. Would Dallas be better?
DonM

#317373 - 02/22/11 04:02 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
It's going to be hard for me to judge how improved the T4 is over the T3, as I never got to play that either!

I'm afraid from simple LISTENING, it's harder to tell than you might like, Ian.

I know my friend, but one can only hope that the opportunity presents itself.

Yes, simple listening won't do it...playing will...the relationship of the sound and key stroke, especially SA/SA2 voices...that's where I'm detecting a difference...plus, the overall sound is both sweet and punchy...the T3 was mostly the latter, although again, many owners would not change a thing.

I was already quite happy with the drums...the new kits are just a nice perk.

I hope the chance to play both a Tyros3 and a T4 comes about for you, as much as I hope I get to play a Korg PA3X.

I agree about the styles...some of the new ones are pretty smartly programmed...I noticed that a few styles had organ pads that changed from fast to slow Leslie, seemingly at the perfect time...amazing. Upon investigation it seems it wasn't an effect, but rather the actual sound was changing from a sampled fast rotary organ to a sampled slow rotary version of the same sound...clever for sure.

Ian

#317376 - 02/22/11 04:07 PM Re: Pirates Carib Performed With Flair on Tyros 4 ! [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

If you use a velocity switched fast/slow organ sound, you can restrict ALL the velocities to just UNDER the fast vel level, then select the section you want as fast, and just add +1 to the velocities. It works great, and you don't get a big jump in volume when you do it. I've edited a few Roland styles to do that, as you can't use the VK organ section in a style ( rolleyes ) and it works well...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online