Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#317826 - 02/28/11 05:33 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Hi All,

Which Ipad model are you using to read music and what advanatages will the new ipad have for handling music, what are you using to turn pages. There are mixed messages about the MPP I am getting and mines is going back for lock up faults and power battery performance, I don't think you can use the MPP without mains, the battery life is much too short.

Tony

I use a 32 gig model wi fi only. I purchased the Air turn for turning pages, works well, but not every pedal works with it, so I purchased the pedal as well as the blue tooth unit.

On the subject of the MPP I have had mine since November 2005 I've never used it just powered via the battery, but effective last August 2010 it will not run at all on battery, it needs power from the adapter. At this time I don't feel it's worth my while to send it in for battery replacment. But the unit still works fine via the power cord. It's been one very versatile unit, I have no complaints and it has paid for itself a few times over.

Thanks.

For that, I think the MPP is pretty low level tecnnology, the one I send back trips itself up when moving around the pages, it will lock up if you walk away from it and sometimes it will load sheets and then go back to the menu page, it's not file size I have got those down to an acceptable size. The batteries are not too expensive. How do you manager with the smaller screen I know the res is far better on the IPAD and you could not use the MPP outside in sunlight. What app do you use for the Ipad.

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#317827 - 02/28/11 05:56 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony,

I've never had the trips around pages problem you were having and it has never locked up. I really prefer the larger screen on the MPP, but the iPad does the job, yes it's a little small but most of the tunes I play I've done time and time again, so despite the smaller size I'm just using it as a guide. I have not used the iPad outdoors for gigs. I use to play a patio every summer at a cafe located on a harbor, the MPP never worked there. I can tell you that last year when my wife and I vacationed we thought we'd be able to use our iPads to read books by the pool. We could not the print was too washed out unless you were in the shade and even with shade it wasn't easy to read. Bottom line was that for vacation we wound up purchasing a couple of paperback books for reading outdoors.

I use unReal book and am happy with it's performance. The developer is always releasing updates to the software each time improving it with the latest release. There is a setting in unReal book that allows you to re-size the lead sheets, once you re-size it when you re-open the sheet it remembers that last re-sized version. In all honesty, I'd be happier if they released an iPad with a screen about 2 inches larger, but even if they don't I find so many uses for the iPad that it wouldn't really matter all that much.

#317830 - 02/28/11 06:11 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
I'd be happier if they released an iPad with a screen about 2 inches larger, but even if they don't I find so many uses for the iPad that it wouldn't really matter all that much.
AMEN!!!!!

#317860 - 02/28/11 02:00 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
Tony Hughes Offline

Steve,

I have borrow my granddaughters Ipad tonight and loaded some music on, you must have better eyes than me, I think it's just a little too small, to read, I suppose if you had it on a stand full in front of your face it may be OK, like Mickey says it would be better a couple of inches bigger. I think the various tablets with windows 7 will be much better. I will wait and see what happens when the MPP comes back.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#317894 - 02/28/11 08:30 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I just upgraded to the latest MusicReader and worked on some different options printing from Sibelius and the initial results are surprisingly readable on the iPad. The proof will be when it works on a gig. I'll report when I've taken it out.

#317914 - 03/01/11 05:56 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Tony, it's going to be important to scale any pdf's up to the edge of the display. If your music scan has got a decent sized border, that's going to reduce the size of the notation significantly. But yes, you are right... for traditional notation, it is still a bit small. But leadsheets and fakebooks don't need to cram so much into one page.

Your other option is to put it up in landscape mode, and then have the iPad display a half page at a time, and use the footswitch to scroll/jump down the half page. If UnReal Book can't do that yet, I am sure it's a pretty easy option to enable. That would certainly blow the chart up to actual size...

#317917 - 03/01/11 06:08 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Thanks Diki,

You are right about turn the IPAD into landscape, I looked at that and at that size it's about the same as the MPP, the only problem is when you have a fast piece, pages up and down and turning. Wouldn't it be nice if the music scrolled at the right speed to your playing, hell life would be so layed back I might take up drinking wine again. If you get a IPAD stand that puts the IPAD about 1ft from your face I think it may work on all music, maybe it's my eyes Diki, once with the Audya it was my ears. BTW I still have the Audya and the PA2X, the Audya has been no trouble for the last 9 mths, not too loud saying that.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Tony

#317918 - 03/01/11 06:17 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony,

Not sure if it's posted on this thread or not but I use the iKlip I mount it on a mic stand then position just to the right of the screen on the Tyros4 at a an angle. It's a very low key and could almost appear it's part of the keyboard. I have taken some poor quality lead sheets and used Sibelius Student edition to re-write the lead sheets. When using those the size works out much better. I'll shoot you an e-mail with a sample.

#317919 - 03/01/11 06:20 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
Tony Hughes Offline

Steve,

Thats great thanks for that, love the email if you could .

Kind Regards

Tony

#318573 - 03/07/11 11:52 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

Thanks Diki,

You are right about turn the IPAD into landscape, I looked at that and at that size it's about the same as the MPP, the only problem is when you have a fast piece, pages up and down and turning. Wouldn't it be nice if the music scrolled at the right speed to your playing, hell life would be so layed back I might take up drinking wine again. If you get a IPAD stand that puts the IPAD about 1ft from your face I think it may work on all music, maybe it's my eyes Diki, once with the Audya it was my ears. BTW I still have the Audya and the PA2X, the Audya has been no trouble for the last 9 mths, not too loud saying that.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Tony

There is also an app called OnSong that "auto scrolls" the page according ot the tempo, or at a speed determined by the user.

It also reads most formats (PDF, DOC, JPG etc)...might eb wort a look at??

Dennis

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online