SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#314330 - 01/28/11 06:53 PM OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yesterday, I got in a 1968 Gibson J-50 guitar (same model as what early James Taylor was recorded on). I have been wanting a Gibson for awhile now and found this old guitar in Georgia. It's an old guitar and is dinged up some but my tipoff guy told me it just sounded fabulous, so, sound is what I mostly care about. I have to admit, it does sound good, especially strummed. This is fingerstyle and I pick with the flesh of my fingertips, so, I am not driving the top much but it still sounds pretty good fingerstyle!

This song is interesting to me, as I wrote the original several years ago. It was up-tempo, a totally different arrangement and a more uplifting story. I got to noodling around with it recently, trying it as a ballad and I rewrote the lyric to be more melancholy, as it fits better to be a heavier theme. Let me know if you like it.

Sorry, it's pitchy, as I was concentrating on playing, not singing and I was tired of trying to get a good take. Recoded on Zoom H4n on one track. I am having trouble learning how to multi-track with this unit!

http://www.ttmbandroom.com/index.php?t=audio_player&song_id=1248

#314346 - 01/28/11 08:08 PM Re: OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade [Re: BBBB]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: BBBB
Hey Bill nice tune. You "made the grade". Someday I hope to get a real Martin!

Cheers,

Brian

I have a Martin D35 and it's a great guitar. I bought it from Florida. I wonder if there is a Guild in Alabama for me?

#314697 - 01/31/11 11:19 AM Re: OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

I'm bumping this thread as I need feedback on this song, in particular. Moreso than others. Even if you don't care for the song's story, if anyone cares to listen, let me know if it works as played or if there is something that does not work for you. Again, it's just a rough demo, but, as played, how does it work for you?

#314701 - 01/31/11 12:05 PM Re: OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Good sound on vocals and guitar. The song doesn't do much for me, but that doesn't mean anything if YOU like it.
DonM

#314714 - 01/31/11 01:07 PM Re: OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, I have a 70's single cutaway thick acoustic (dreadaught style) Guild that I bought from a store owned by my best friend. A local musician ordered it; then couldn't pay for it. It is sunburst, with a sharp cut-a-way. It has an added Martin piezo inside and a jack where the pin-strap is...no visible alterations. You need to use an outboard pre-amp, and that's a little inconvenient.

Been out of the case twice. Been played on one commercial in the early 80's. Still has the original strings on it.

I'm partial to Guild, but have my favorite acoustics (Parker, Selmer-MaCafee (SAGA) and others). The Guild in the posted video is an X-150-single pick-up (humbucker)-two controls (traditional volume and tone). Actually, prefer nylon Bossa Ginanni acoustics over all others.

Paid cost in 1975-about $800.00, I think. I'd trade it for something, or let you take a year or so to pay for it. Three years ago, when there was a thread here about Guilds, an expert from overseas put the value in good condition at about $1350.00. you could have it for my original cost, and I'd ship it to you for trial, with no deposit or other commitment.

Let me know, and I'll email a photo to you. It really needs to be played by a real acoustic player. That's something I never learned how to do. I'm an electric/nylon string guy. Notice, on the little piece I posted, there was no pick, and all the controls were (and always are) wide open.

Russ

#314716 - 01/31/11 01:12 PM Re: OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dang, Bill, you can't beat an offer like that! Well, maybe you could ask Russ to fly it down to you in his plane.
DonM

#314720 - 01/31/11 01:28 PM Re: OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade [Re: captain Russ]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Hi Russ, it's like ESP here. Just THIS MORNING, I emailed the guy I bought the Gibson from and told him that if he comes across a GUILD, I'm interested! I'll call you.

#314731 - 01/31/11 02:34 PM Re: OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Good vocals and pickin'. The song sounded a lot like some old Peter, Paul and Mary ballads from the 60s, many of which I liked back then.

Thanks,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#314748 - 01/31/11 04:18 PM Re: OT -- new original song, Eleventh Grade [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... As usual, a really nice job ... you are a great story teller ...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online