SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#314145 - 01/27/11 05:05 PM Playing APC To A Recorded Melody
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Hi

I know the title sounds a bit weird, but what I am trying to do in my quest to learn how to play songs on my KN7000, is to record the chord sequence in step time (CHD Track) and the melody either in step time or real time depending how hard I find it. Then start the sequencer with the melody turned off so I can practise the melody part with the chord track playing. The problem is I can't do it the other way round i.e. have the melody play in the sequencer while I practise the chords and have the APC playing. If I turn off the CHD track and press Start the melody plays but the APC will not start so I can't practise the chord progression.

Any ideas how I can play the chords with the melody playing via the sequencer ?

Glen

#314180 - 01/28/11 03:11 AM Re: Playing APC To A Recorded Melody [Re: Glen Coyne]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Get the wife to sit on your right hand side and play the melody line, Glen.
Or
Sing the melody line in your head or at worst out loud whilst playing the chords with your left hand.
Or
Only record/sequence the right hand and record nothing on the left hand side.
Just some quick thoughts.
Rog

#314181 - 01/28/11 03:45 AM Re: Playing APC To A Recorded Melody [Re: RMepstead]
Glen Coyne Offline

Hi Rog

Thanks a lot for your help.

Unfortunately my wife thinks a keyboard is a piece of wood you hang keys on - so option one is out.

I cringe even when I sing in my head...its so bad - but its seems the only solution so far.

I've tried recording just the melody but the APC won't play if the Sequencer 'Play' button is On ??

Glen

#314221 - 01/28/11 09:38 AM Re: Playing APC To A Recorded Melody [Re: Glen Coyne]
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi Glen,

If it's only a matter of practicing your chords, I would suggest you to leave both the chord and the melody tracks on and mute or volume down the acomp part you want to play live. Select the corresponding sound on right 1 and play along with the chord names showing on the screen.

Serge

#314252 - 01/28/11 11:09 AM Re: Playing APC To A Recorded Melody [Re: mordicus]
Glen Coyne Offline

Thanks Serge, thats certainly another way around the problem.

It's not a big deal I was hoping to use the sequencer as a training device as most parts you can turn off and play that part live, but it appears this can't be done with the chord sequence.

I'll just have to get the melody right then introduce the chords.

Glen

#314309 - 01/28/11 04:47 PM Re: Playing APC To A Recorded Melody [Re: Glen Coyne]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
“The problem is I can't do it the other way round i.e. have the melody play in the sequencer while I practice the chords and have the APC playing. If I turn off the CHD track and press Start the melody plays but the APC will not start so I can't practice the chord progression”.

Any ideas how I can play the chords with the melody playing via the sequencer ?

Glenn,
The APC plays according to the chord track you record. If you turn the chord track off the APC has no idea what to play. The chord track speaks to the APC – when you turn the chord track APC cannot play.
I suggest that you play back the song you have recorded, make sure the left hand is turned off and play your chords with your left hand on the right side of the keyboard.
The best thought would be to play the song live and if your voice troubles you hum, whistle or moan. And please don’t take that seriously. Most of us just playing our chords live until we were comfortable.
Hope this helps, John C.

#314313 - 01/28/11 05:14 PM Re: Playing APC To A Recorded Melody [Re: bruno123]
Glen Coyne Offline

Hi John

I realize now what I was trying to achieve with the sequencer can't be done. So as you you suggest I'll just hum the tune while playing the chords live.

Many thanks for your help.

Glen

#314342 - 01/28/11 07:51 PM Re: Playing APC To A Recorded Melody [Re: Glen Coyne]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Glenn, In all of it, just enjoy. John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online