SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#314207 - 01/28/11 08:40 AM Did You Have a Drug Problem?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
How many of you had this drug problem?
See the attachment.

Hammer

Attachments
Drug Problem.docx.zip (43 downloads)

#314214 - 01/28/11 09:19 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hammer and others interested in Hammer's attachment.

The forum software does not recognize .doc or .docx files. Hammer's attachment is a .docx.

There is a work-around:
Save Hammer's attachment to your desktop. If you have WORD 2007 or later you can open it from your desktop. If you have an earlier version of WORD, you will have to convert the file from .docx to .doc.

To Convert:
Go to http://www.doc.investintech.com/ and scroll down to the 2-step conversion process. Save the file wherever you want it and click to open.

Thank you Microsoft for creating all this extra work for those who spent their hard-earned money for earlier versions of WORD. cry

I don't know if the new software can handle .doc and .docx extensions. If so, Nigel can address that.

Eddie

#314228 - 01/28/11 09:47 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi,
if you have older Word versions docx to doc easy to solve by Microsoft's addon copability pack.

Cheers
GJ

#314247 - 01/28/11 10:56 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Thank You GJ...
I was not aware of the MS Comapibility Pack.
Eddie

#314250 - 01/28/11 11:02 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Before jumping the above hoops just to view the attachment, can someone provide more info about what this 'drug' topic attachment is about? confused2

#314305 - 01/28/11 04:26 PM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: btweengigs]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I had no problem in downloading the file from the forum and then simply unzipping it. From there all you had to do was open the file with whatever wordprocessor you have.

Hammer

#314418 - 01/29/11 10:56 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still not sure what the topic is about. Cryptic thread titles and attachments you have to download before you have ANY idea what the topic is about is hardly good netiquette.

I won't be downloading this until the OP clues us in to what he wants us to read. Sorry.

#314472 - 01/29/11 02:13 PM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Diki @ Scott. It's a graphic (inserted into a Word document) of an article written by a couple as an inspirational message. The 'drug problem' was being 'drug' to church every Sunday and drug to the woodshed (by the ear) when you had misbehaved. Telling you what it's about in advance spoils the 'cuteness' factor but you two insisted. It'll go over well with the older generation, the younger generation, not so much.

chas

#314562 - 01/30/11 08:46 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The title alone made me loose interest in wanting to read it. I guessed it was a joke, but working with troubled teens makes it seem less humorous as a topic for me. It's like terrorists jokes ... way too soon, and inappropriate in my book.

#314686 - 01/31/11 08:32 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
How many of you had this drug problem?
See the attachment.

Hammer

maybe we'll tell you when you'll write a clear topic instead of your little conundrums...people don't have time and / or energy to help you clarify what you didn't clarify.

PS. I have plenty of stuff to download....I guess I can do without an attachement.

Edited by arranger_yes_pc_no (01/31/11 08:34 AM)

#314702 - 01/31/11 12:12 PM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think it's cute. Also true for many of us, right or wrong.
My father was not a cruel man, but I can remember thinking I hated him for spanking me. Sure it made me behave, but I'm convinced there are better methods of teaching that don't include corporal punishment. He was only doing what he was "taught".
My kids have all turned out great without being beaten.
DonM

#314739 - 01/31/11 02:56 PM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM
I think it's cute. Also true for many of us, right or wrong.
My father was not a cruel man, but I can remember thinking I hated him for spanking me. Sure it made me behave, but I'm convinced there are better methods of teaching that don't include corporal punishment. He was only doing what he was "taught".
My kids have all turned out great without being beaten.
DonM

Yes, and I remember gettin' whacked on the arse, and if I looked like I might cry, the old man would say, "If you start that bawlin', I'll really give you something to cry about!"

My adopted parents (my birth parents died on Christmas Eve when I was 5 months old) died when I was very young, and I was raised by an Uncle who was very peaceful, non-violent, loved music and encouraged my journey along the road to being a professional musician. I consider myself very fortunate.

I don't believe in corporal punishment...sorry to get a bit off topic.

Ian

#314790 - 02/01/11 02:10 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

I don't know how we (as a country) can revere the 'Greatest Generation' (those that fought WWII and then built the country to its' heights in the fifties) and simultaneously revile the teaching and child rearing methods that MADE them that way...

Discipline in school and the home leads to that character, but we have allowed parenting and teaching to be 'hands off' and we see the results of that all around us.

Rather than address the excesses of the old ways (child abuse at home and school) we simply threw up our hands and took the easy way out and made it so NO discipline gets used. we are reaching a tipping point, with adults raising children that had no discipline themselves as children (having been raised by a generation that was the first to throw out the rulebook) and things are looking bleak for our childrens' education and our county's future.

Why we couldn't find a balance between 'spare the rod, spoil the child' and 'beat the kid all the time, go to jail' beats me...

#314804 - 02/01/11 04:12 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: Diki]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have found the process of healing from the excessive ways of disciplining a child to be:
1-To hate My Dad.
2-To love myself.
3-To love my Dad.
4-To appreciate regardless of method what he did for me.
5-To recognize that he instilled in me a strong power of self-discipline which has added so much to my life.

I was in a gathering of men recently – the conversation was the same as above. One man said, “My father really beat me”. As he was saying that he was smiling and his face was filled with love as he spoke.
My thoughts, John C.

#314819 - 02/01/11 06:10 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do believe in discipline, Dikki, but I don't believe in striking people I love. There are other ways to do it.
Don

#314820 - 02/01/11 06:13 AM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM
I do believe in discipline, Dikki, but I don't believe in striking people I love. There are other ways to do it.
Don

+1

#314885 - 02/01/11 01:09 PM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
OMG, we had the same father...
No problem, I deserved it, I got it, and I'm fine (well, what is normal anyways :-))

But, it was my Mom that I was more worried about..she would get a certain look...and that mean't game over...no more arguing and do what she said NOW!

I think the young parents of today...have a whole lot harder time with it all. I know the teachers sure do!

#314918 - 02/01/11 04:43 PM Re: Did You Have a Drug Problem? [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

I guess that's the point... There's a difference between child abuse and child discipline. Or, at least, there USED to be. Nowadays, it all gets lumped in together, because it's just too HARD (sob) to try and figure out the difference. Suspend your reasoning and critical faculties, and you have to make simplistic decisions.

I talk to teachers all the time that say, especially in tougher schools, they have no control over the kids because there is nothing that they OR the parents can do (without apparently being considered a child abuser) to rein them in. And not only does THAT child's education get short shrift, but all the rest of the class suffers too.

The thing is, child discipline has been practiced for thousands of years. Kinder, gentler means has been tried for what? 30-40 years? If those methods truly WERE better, you would think you would have seen some sort of improvement by now, both behavior and test score-wise. The very reverse is the case, though.

Although your Mom may have only needed 'that look', you KNEW what that look meant. Take it further, and there WOULD be consequences. What child today is scared of a LOOK, when they know that that is all they are going to get..?

I got my fair and deserved share of spankings, caning and my father's ultimate, the leather strap. But I never got 'beaten'. I never ended at the doctor's or hospital. Throwing out the spankings so that beatings never happen is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I find it curious that we are so willing to toss hundreds (thousands) of years of experience out to try to liberalize child rearing, and have kept at it for forty years or so without any noticeable improvement, but we aren't willing to try liberalizing drug policies (that have been in place for less than a hundred) to see if the improvements already seen in other countries work over here, too. America can be SUCH a schizophrenic country, sometimes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online