SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#314307 - 01/28/11 04:45 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Why are we all so suprised at Russ? He's been doing this stuff for about a hundred years; 'bout time he got it right smile.

Russ, sorry I missed your call. I took advantage of this little weather break (55 and sunny) to excercise the ponies, Kimmy (Kymco) and Tiger (Triumph Triple). Talk to you maybe tomorrow? Playing (tomorrow) from 6 to 11 over in Marrietta, though, with 5, count 'em, FIVE pieces. Should be fun.

chas

Good luck on the gig Chas take some pictures/videos for us too wink

#314312 - 01/28/11 05:12 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I wasn't surprised at all by Russ' guitar playing. I was REALLY surprised by his singing though. What a great voice, and perfectly in pitch.
Can't wait to do a duo with the Captain.
DonM

#314316 - 01/28/11 05:27 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
THIS is why I LOVE this place ... laugh ...and I realize this has nothing to do with arrangers, but it IS music ...

Yup - me too. I'm not an arranger musician - I'm a MUSICIAN who owns an arranger. (among many other tools) If it ain't in your heart - it'll never come out your fingers!

#314368 - 01/29/11 03:56 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Russ you have the charm of bossa nova, make sure that
Hear your music will be always a pleasure
Chico

#314370 - 01/29/11 04:15 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ, I have been reading everything you post. I like where you are coming from, your ideas, your passion and your music. I connect to your music life it is the closest to my own. Oh he has that guitar I had it too – Oh he had the Orchestra with the foot pedal that changed the type of chord, so did I.
Russ keep it going, there is a true love for music and a kid that wants all the toys in you, it doesn’t get better.
John C.

#314474 - 01/29/11 02:17 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Brian, it would be my GREAT PLEASURE to work with you on sharing chords...words...anything. Just email me and we'll get that happening.

And John, I, too have noticed that we're sort of "joined at the hip" in terms of ideas, likes, dislikes. It's bad that distance keeps us from visiting as often as I'd like, but it's good that we can keep in touch here, and through private email. It would be a pleasure to hear from you....anytime.

Chico, I feel we are also so much alike. I cut my "musical teeth"
on bossa. With my trio (my son on bass-my grandson on drums) we play all the tunes I did on guitar bossa style. You are a kind soul, and I admire you as a good man as much as a fine musician.

I'd like to thank all here for making a really bad thing in my life a lot better.

It's not "fixed" but I'm working on it.

Best personal regards, always,

Russ

#314482 - 01/29/11 03:54 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Capt. excellent music !!! In the early days of my becoming a member here, Russ called me to welcome me to the forum. His comments to me about his playing pretty much indicated that he didn't have a lot of talent!! Capt. you are too modest! blush

I'm enjoying every moment of your playing. When I hear guys like you play at this forum it confirms what I've know right along there's lots of talent here......some great musicians to say the least.

Thanks for posting Don and Russ I'd love to hear more

#314500 - 01/29/11 08:08 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Russ........would love to hear your next on done on the keyboards when you get a chance keep em comin!

#314530 - 01/30/11 05:07 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Very nice Russ. My second choice instrument is the guitar. Never tried it, (still trying to master the black and whites) will have to wait and play guitar with The Angels.
Great choice of music, and performed with great feeling. I think I know why you waited this long before sharing, but it was well worth the wait.
(Did not realise our initials are the same, just different order).
Take good care of that injury.
Ray

#314695 - 01/31/11 11:02 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, I only posted one other piece, several years ago, which was all keys. It was a film score rough for one of my major clients. Most of my work is 16 or more tracks-full production, unlike this 15 minute "bare bones" raw piece here.

Thing is, this is the only time I ever recorded myself as close to live as possible to see if what I had left is acceptable...TO ME. When I can't cut it to my standards, I'll give up and avoid embarrassing myself.

The project has always been more important to me than the recognition (like to be recognized with BIG CHECKS LOL).

Every recording I do, except for this rough-which is REALLY ROUGH, is under deadline. Generally, the score is a small part of the entire project, and I do all elements: music, script, shooting, editing, etc.

I would have no reason to record just me on keys or anything else. But, in about 6 months, I'm going to set aside 1 hour and do 2-3 tunes each on: Nylon string (bossa), Electric bass (Funk/fusion), Acoustic bass (American Standard Solo), Electric Guitar/fusion style acoustic piano and arranger. Again, it will be one take-15 minutes, edited to 10 minutes to post to YouTube. There will be no external mixes, effects, etc. It will all be one track, with the only object to measure my abilities against, sadly, what I'll never be able to do again.

This will simply to be how balanced my performances are, comparing guitar and keys. I've got to get to a point where I'm not embarrassed by my work, and, while it's better now than a year ago, I'm not close to being where I need to be.

It actually embarrasses me to call attention to myself.

At least, I'll be sharing it with friends who will take it easy on the OLD GUY!

Russ

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online