SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#310008 - 06/25/08 10:57 AM PR2008 Virtual arranger V2. update.
pedrorozo Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Long time without visiting this forum, I guess that the yearly forum cleanup tasks removed my previous articles.

Anyways, just checking the last posts I just want to provide a link to my two articles, that can be useful for newcomers and where I describe my current setup.
http://www.pedrorozo.com/web/content/view/51/40/

From a high level standpoint, I am using:

1. OMB as arranger (looking for something better).

2. Ableton Live - to process voice, effects and audio in real time. I can record up to 4 audio channels (voices)+ my virtual instrumetns in my laptop while I am playing.

3. Reason 4.0 (NNXT sampler) to load reason refills and soundfonts. it is currently running pretty stable and connected to live using rewire. (here I am looking to replace reason with the sampler module of ableton live soon)...

4. From the hardware side, I run everything in a dell inspiron 1520 with a twiked WINXP, connected to a M-AUDIO fast track ultra sounds card, and eveything managed from a M-AUDIO Axiom 61.

In terms of styles I have been collecting a good amount of them from internet and differents sources, and from samples, after an extensive research from expensive samples vendor such Kontakt, Sampletank and so on, having in mind mind that my requirements to play at church are relative simple: drums, bass and keyboard (not much orchestation). I have been using mainly sound fonts for the drums, bass and keyboard part, and creating my own samples from the Roland JV1010 and korg modules that I have.

Now that everything is working, my next goals for V3 are to simplify the setup, less software (removing reason), and perhaps giving more control to Ableton live, to control setups.

I would like o have a more flexible arranger, though OMB still works, as many of you have mentioned it has not been improved much in the last two years ...

so having in mind my IT background (senior Java developer and architect) I have a dream project to create an arranger as an Ableton live plug-in (VSTi) .. we will see if I get the time to do so.

Pedro.

------------------
Pedro.

#310009 - 06/26/08 06:53 PM Re: PR2008 Virtual arranger V2. update.
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Pedro, good to see you are still at it and enhancing your software based arranger system.

I am still around ... I just don't post as much any more. Plus I have not made significant changes to my system in recent times. I am still waiting for Garritan's GM Wavetable for the accompaniment parts.

#310010 - 06/30/08 04:43 PM Re: PR2008 Virtual arranger V2. update.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Pedro,
have you tried Livestyler.
OMB is great for editing, maybe Live Styler would suit better for your realtime function??
http://www.live-styler.de/home/?News

Jos is currently asking for suggestions for OMB 11 on his Yahoo group.( Due next year.)

best wishes
Rikki

p.s. Frank, I noticed on the Livestyler site they mentioned using it with the Ketron SD2. I had some issues with Bank Changes for melody parts using OMB with the SD2, be interesting to see if I 'd have the same hassles with LiveStyler.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pedrorozo:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#310011 - 06/30/08 06:55 PM Re: PR2008 Virtual arranger V2. update.
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I still think you should give up on all that hardware stuff and drift back to the comfortable world of software based arranger systems. Oh well, what do I know ... I am just the 800 lb elephant in the room.

I just use Live - Styler for the auto accomapaniment parts. The lead or melody voices I go thru Kontakt or B4, etc. In this regard I keep things very simple and stay away from bank changes, etc. and load up instruments that I will be using on separate channels and switch channels with my controller keyboard....very fast and fail safe!!! Live - Styler works fine on with styles concerning any voice changes that may be required.

#310012 - 06/30/08 09:35 PM Re: PR2008 Virtual arranger V2. update.
pedrorozo Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Guys, regarding livestyler, Does it support the full "piano" chord recognition ? I play like a piano (full keyboard) ... and for that style of playing OMB works good, how is that topic with Livestyler ?

I will check the last version ... I already sent my suggesitons to Jos (OMB), but I guess that it will take a while to see the version 11, because he is rewriting everything from scratch.

Cheer,

Pedro.
Thanks,

#310013 - 07/01/08 02:56 PM Re: PR2008 Virtual arranger V2. update.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
I'm waiting for my current laptop or pc to fizzle out. Then hopefully I can replace it with one more suitable. Then , I'll have another look at the arranger software setup.

My current desktop is too basic to run anything decent, my current laptop has never worked as well as my prior one did with the soundfonts etc.

Nice to talk to you again.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Rikki, I still think you should give up on all that hardware stuff and drift back to the comfortable world of software based arranger systems. Oh

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online