SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#305081 - 08/15/06 02:59 AM REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
JDEEP Offline

Loc: ORLANDO,FL. USA
Hi all- new to the club and to yamaha - not to arranger keyboards though.

I am trying to decide which would be best to use to create a database of around 600 titles. I have a hard drive on my tyros 2 so space is not a problem. my main concern is ease of finding a registration or style whenyou want it. I would appreciate input from anyone as to the pros and cons of each and what system works best for you.

#305082 - 08/15/06 04:05 AM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
See below....

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 08-15-2006).]

#305083 - 08/15/06 06:59 AM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
KFingers Offline

Hi There - There are Pros and Cons to both methods.

If you make or just edit existing Styles for use with specific songs (you can adjust tempo and change accomp parts easily enough) then the big advantage here is that you can then use a MusicFinder database to quickly find the songs you want by either title, type or by some keyword you decide on.

However, I use registrations which allow for all of the above and some including loading the lyrics for a song and setting up the vocal harmony and mic sttings. I don't use SMFs (at the moment) but it would also load these as well if required.

I keep a seperate list of songs in different orders (Alphabetical / Genre / Artist / Tempo etc) and by each entry is the stored registration number - You can then call any registration by it's number even though it is not on the screen (Using the alternate list view for files).

Using registrations allows for many more variations of voices than OTS but I use it quite a lot to turn on and off or change the vocal harmony type but leaving the rest of the other settings the same.

The good thing is that you have the choice.

Regards - KF

#305084 - 08/15/06 07:20 AM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Quote:
I keep a seperate list of songs in different orders (Alphabetical / Genre / Artist / Tempo etc) and by each entry is the stored registration number - You can then call any registration by it's number even though it is not on the screen (Using the alternate list view for files).

Hi Kfingers
I'm interested to know about your seperate lists - how are these kept? At the moment I only use registrations and they are for song titles kept in alphabetical folders.

John

#305085 - 08/16/06 04:44 AM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
KFingers Offline

Hi John,

My lists are just printed lists but in a different order.

Once I get people up and dancing I like to keep things going so as well as the alphabetical list I use a list of "sets" quite often as well.

This really only groups similar song types with similar tempos especially uptempo stuff where you are working your bum off and you quickly need to identify and change to another song.

This gives you time to easily identify the next song you might want to play if the crowd are really having fun.

I also do the same thing with ballroom stuff but I also put the waltzes in tempo order so that when I change I dont alter the tempo of the following song too much

I basically use a list of around 120 songs although I know several hundred more as I play by ear.

But even you only use an alphabetical list with the numbers it is a much quicker way to find and load what you want next.

However, my biggest problem is remembering the lyrics which is now a non-issue since I have used Ketron and then T1 (using a workaround with .bmp files) and now a T2 using registration to automatically load and display the words for me.

Hope this helps you John

#305086 - 08/16/06 09:47 AM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KFingers:
[B]Hi John,

My lists are just printed lists but in a different order.

Thanks for the reply - that's given me a few ideas. Like you I play by ear and although I sing, I can't always remember the words to songs. The T2 is great for that, as you say, and you could even put your 'lists' in Text form to come up on the screen.

I often do a few monologues to break up the evening and they are all on the HD as Text files.........Isn't technology wonderful

John

#305087 - 08/16/06 11:21 AM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
JDEEP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JDEEP:
Hi all- new to the club and to yamaha - not to arranger keyboards though.

I am trying to decide which would be best to use to create a database of around 600 titles. I have a hard drive on my tyros 2 so space is not a problem. my main concern is ease of finding a registration or style whenyou want it. I would appreciate input from anyone as to the pros and cons of each and what system works best for you.

#305088 - 08/16/06 11:26 AM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
JDEEP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JDEEP:

Thank you all for your input. It sounds like registrations are the way to go. Is it possible to use numbers 2
punch registrations in by numbers once they are in the list format? or do you have to scroll down the list and enter it that way?

#305089 - 08/16/06 06:13 PM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have had my Tyros 2 for about 45 days. I knew I had to decide how to best use the registrations and the Music Finder for my songs. So, after a great deal of thinking and experimenting I have decided the best way is to use more than one method – depending on what I need and ease of excess.

There dancers out there and the prep time to go to the next song is extremely important. Take too much time and you will lose them. It’s the same when I’m at home – easy excess makes help me perform.

Kfinger has cover this subject well, use what’s best for your needs.

I have to say it is one tremendous job coming from playing for Technics for 12 years to a TY2 keyboard – I feel like I have to remount my head.

Kfinger, thanks for your impute it will help.

John C.

PS, I have heard Scott Yee and Gary Diamond say they use multiple methods to select their next song. I use a laptop for midi files, song sets, Lyrics, music notes – ect--.

#305090 - 08/17/06 08:41 PM Re: REGISTRATIONS OR USER STYLES ???
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
This is what I use on my HD:
http://www.psrtutorial.com/Resources/Articles/organize.html

While I like being able to have the Music Finder select the intro and starting variation and other features, in a live situation it is really too slow.

With the set up I use on the HD I can be playing one song and already have found my next song. When the ending of one song stops, I can immediately press the new song and start the new song with really no time in between if needed/desired.

Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online