SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#303673 - 04/30/05 06:40 AM G70 Hard Drive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi

The G70 has a type 'B' usb socket and I'm asking if it is possible to run an external usb hard drive via this socket?

I have a 30GB, 2.5" notebook drive fitted into an external usb caddy. It is self powered and would not therefore take any power through the G70 usb socket. I have used this set up through a Tyros with success, but I think this keyboard has a usb type 'A' socket?

It would be interesting to know and certainly useful. Thought I'd better ask for some views on this subject.

Rob

#303674 - 04/30/05 11:58 PM Re: G70 Hard Drive
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Hi Rob,

As far as I know you cannot connect an external hard drive using the USB port, but the PCMCIA slot allows you to do so. This is a type of connection that is more often used on notebook PC's, so there must be connectors available. I don't have the G70 myself (yet?), but this is what I read on another forum. A member on that forum explained that he connected a 20Gb drive to the G70.

Good luck!

------------------
Tom NL

#303675 - 05/01/05 04:06 AM Re: G70 Hard Drive
Robert Webster Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply and the information.
You can get a PCMCIA to USB and connect the hard drive that way, and thanks for mentioning that.

If you are considering getting a G70, I think you would like it. I'm very pleased with mine, and I'd even buy it just for the organ drawbar sounds. The organ flutes are first class, IMO. As far as the styles go, they are very good. The voices (sounds) range from excellent to one or two sounds that seem to have been run over by a bus. But I could never find a keyboard with every sound to my liking. Overall, I'm enjoying the G70 very much

Good luck if you decide.

Rob

#303676 - 05/05/05 08:31 PM Re: G70 Hard Drive
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I don't think this will work. Besides matching the connection (supposing you could use the PCMCIA to USB adaptrer card), you also need the computer to recognize it (have the right drivers), which it does not, unlike the PC, where a similar setup would work fine.

However, why would you want to use a hard drive? Flash cards are much more reliable, not having any moving parts, and are contained within the instrument (rather than sitting separately outside the keyboard). Besides, a hard drive may be useful to store audio/MP3 files, or sound samples, but the G70 can make use of neither of those. Any flash card (you can buy one up to 4GB in size) will store plenty of MIDI files and styles.

Good luck,
Alex

#303677 - 05/09/05 11:52 PM Re: G70 Hard Drive
Robert Webster Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.

You asked why I would want to use a hard drive when we have the flash card PCMCIA socket on board the G70? I use this port a lot, but my reason for asking about the hard drive connection is that I have a spare external usb drive, and was wondering if it would be possible.

The convenience of the card socket is super, but an expensive means of saving work. A 30gb hard drive is very cheap by comparison to a 4GB compact flash card. At least the last time I checked local prices.

Rob

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online