SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#302522 - 06/14/07 11:43 AM e 80 vs e 60?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, folks! After being a Solton/Ketron user since the late 70's (auto orchestra, believe it or not), I'm fairly sure I'm switching to Roland...in fact, George Kaye has shipped me a GW-7 and an SH-201. The GW-7 will be on my right hand (for piano, vibes, etc. presets) at a house job. The SH-201 will be on top. I'll have a Hammond XB-2 on the bottom (left-hand bass and organs-with a Motion Sound top rotary)and...here's the quandry...either an E 80 or E 60 in the middle. Price is not the decision driver. I want 76 keys, if possible, and lighter weight. Can you detail the main differences? Does the E 60 have a harmonizer?

I can live without the internal amps and speakers, although my reliable old MS 60 has 22 watt stereo speakers, which I've come to rely on as a keyboard monitor. George tells me that the proprietary pedal( 7 button) is the closest thing to the 13 note Ketron I've been using for years. That will be a real adjustment!

The appeal of Ketron has always been the live "in your face" sounds, which I really like. How does the E-series compare? Hopefully, it is different from the sort of bland (in my opinion) Yamaha PSR sounds.

HELP!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-14-2007).]

#302523 - 06/14/07 12:02 PM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, I would answer you the way I feel ,but would be burned at the stake by Yammies..You are on the right track..

#302524 - 06/14/07 12:50 PM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
captain Russ Offline

Fran, if you feel like it, could you email me? I need advice of Roland experts. As far as my opinion of Yamaha, it's MY opinion only, and MY keyboard choice. Changing brands after 30 plus years is a big step for me, a considerable learning curve and a sizable investment (three keyboards-$4000.00 plus dollars).

My good friend Dave plays a PSR 3000 and is happy with it. Good for him. I bought one, hated it and gave it to my granddaughter. Good for me!

I would miss your "upfront" opinions if they copmpletely disappeared. Everyone should feel free to have and share them, as long as they are well articulated and not intentionally abrasive.

Sharing opinions is, in good part, the value of this forum.

I suspected that, in the past, you intentionally stirred up a little "dust" but Dave says, and I believe, it was all in fun.

So, come on "Roland man"..."spill the beans".

Better yet, call me (859-253-0390, or cell-948-4687). After all, you never properly thanked me for that fine "Kentucky nugget" I so thoughtfully sent you!

R.

#302525 - 06/14/07 03:18 PM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
Fran Carango Offline

Russ, thanks for that nugget...You do know it took Dave 5 months to get it to me..

He must have admired it..

#302526 - 06/14/07 04:16 PM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Russ, I would answer you the way I feel ,but would be burned at the stake by Yammies..You are on the right track..

Fran, Too bad feathers get ruffled. I love the T2, I'm use to the OS, but when I find myself playing lots of G70 style conversions on the T2 tells me maybe I gotta open my mind and hear what others are saying about Roland. 76 keys better vocal harmonizer. I have just started doing some singing so I need all the help I can get with a good vocal harmonizer.

Russ is got the right idea, talking to you off the forum. Russ good luck. It's a bigger step for you, 30 years and now changing brands. I've been playing Yammie arrangers a lot less time than you're playing and I get a skeptical thinking I'd have to learn a new OS. I'm in a real comfort zone with Yammie, but I hate running out of keys when I want to do a little piano soloing

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-14-2007).]

#302527 - 06/14/07 07:38 PM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
As you can tell I have the E 80 now.
I realize you didn't aske me however I will venture a reply here.
Like you I can afford to buy and sell or give away anything I want to.
I have been playing Technics since they went into business right up through the last two they built.
I bought the PSr 9000 and couldn't even make it work for me.
I then bought A tyros 2 and it was ok but I didn't care a lot for it UNTIL..........
I got all the Roland G 70 styles converted to Tyros 2 and then I begin to like playing it, and liking the sounds.
I went over to the local former Technics dealer to see if by chance he might have a left over Kn2600 or even a used trade in.
Roland district Sales Manager was there and he knows his keyboard inside out. Three hours of demo later I owned his own personal demo.
I am super pleased with it. I feel like I just got the newest Technics which would have been the KN 8000. that is no doubt due to the fact that Chris Hallon went from technics to Roland to put this new board together.
The E 80 and the E 60 I believe based on what I have been told by those that should know are the same except for the sound system and the 76 keys.
The sound system in this E 80 is 95 watts with 4 speakers and bass reflex. I don't need my bass woofer hooked into it, nor either of my full racks, or any of my sound wall.
It is complete in and of itself.
In fact at my age of 75 it maybe the last keyboard I will ever buy. Yes, my wife has heard that before but then again I never had a Roland E 80 before.
yes List price is 5000.00 however you can cut a deal I am sure.
I see used G 70's for 2000 but that is a different keyboard and has a couple of years depreciation now built into it.
the Roland sales manager simply states that the E 60/80 is a G 70 on Steroids.
Hope my views give you some of the info you want. Unbiased of course
The manual is on line for these keyboards. It is 284 pages and is the best keyboard I have ever read. i am totally impressed with this music system.
Best to you and yours,
Bebop
The Roland

#302528 - 06/15/07 06:44 AM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, Bebop. Right now, I'm leaning towards the E-60, mainly because of 76 keys and weight.

Can anyone help with a description of the differences...number of styles? Harmonizer?
Memory? Anything else?

Thanks,

R.

#302529 - 06/15/07 06:49 AM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Thanks, Bebop. Right now, I'm leaning towards the E-60, mainly because of 76 keys and weight.

Can anyone help with a description of the differences...number of styles? Harmonizer?
Memory? Anything else?

Thanks,

R.

Russ I'm watching the responses on this one too, from what I've read this morning if I jump the Yammie ship, it will probably be the G 70. (I just didn't say that did I )

#302530 - 06/15/07 08:51 AM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
Fran Carango Offline

Here is my answer from another post..I restate it here..
Bill , I don't think the G70 is inferior to the E80 at all..They are just different types of instruments..Same engines, but are different in features..The G70 has better key feel and more of them..It has separate outs...The E80 has a couple more insert effect options[a work around that Diki mentioned will add another to the G70], and a Speaker system...Both will give you physical exercise..

Both are current top models..

The G70 is definitely the better board between the E60 and G70, based on features[harmonist, VK organ engine]..and to my ears the G70/E80 sound better than the little siblings[E50/E60]..Maybe they use better DC converters or the wav table is compromised..Listen to on line demos of the same styles...They are not bad ..far from it..but they sound lesser than the G70/E80..

"Stephen..if money and 45 pounds doesn't discourage you..I would go the G70 way...You get the best key feel on the market[semi weighted]..The best VK drawbar organ, and the best Vocal Harmonist..
That is a lot of Best reasons..

If the weight and money are an issue, and you can do without the added features..The E60 could be a good choice..And yes .. any Roland you have full piano at the push of a button..You can save your settings to user programs.."

#302531 - 06/15/07 10:57 AM Re: e 80 vs e 60?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
this info is posted for your evaluation.
My email list friend Dick W traded his Technics KN7000 in on a Roland G 70 when the first came out. He was so unhappy with it after owning several technics that he asked the dealer to undo the sale and offered to pay a reasonable amount to do it. the dealer refused so he kept the G 70. When the dealer put the KN7000 Technics up for sale Dick went in and bought it back paying full price for it.
But...........now a year or more later and three updates later he wouldn't part with the G 70 for love nor money, is not interested in buying the E 60/80 and in fact is or has sold his Technics Kn7000 now.
Dick knows keyboards well and once he got the updates and learned the Operating system, he states also it may be his last keyboard as we are the same age.
So. There you have it.
Fran, I in no way infer that a G 70 is an inferior keyboard and in fact I had planned to buy one until I found out how unhappy Dick was with his. I am sure it is as good as or even superior to the E 80. I have no way to know as I have never played one, only played the styles through the Tyros 2 and that convinced me to buy a Roland when it was offered to me with a three hour demo to prove how good it really is
Now Dick and I are both happy
We love ya no matter what ya decide and I welcome you to our new Roland Email list for BOTH G and E keyboards.
Bebop

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online